• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The science behind Stax's magic

sq225917

Major Contributor
People don't complain about Stax prices because its a small Japanese brand making mostly one thing and they've done it for decades, drilling away at quality and reliability and customer service for decades. Sure the prices can be high, but based on a lifetime ownership they're a steal

My own SR-LAMBDA Pro and SRD-7 SB MK2 are from 1983 and 85. So any talk of price seems silly when a thing lasts a lifetime.

Ata

Forum Donor
no one ever complains about the stax sky high prices, $6600, $7000 cans plus the amp ($3000 or more)???

everything else like a steal

At the high end, these could indeed be the prices (I have never checked), and if that were the only price points, I would agree.

However, the entry point to the line up, the SRS-3100 package gives you amp+headphones for $700, and is IMHO a steal for what it is. 80-90% as good as the TOTL offering at 1/10th of the price.

okok

People don't complain about Stax prices because its a small Japanese brand

everyone attacking the much lower priced suavara, focal etc, just don't forget Stax was the first one who started the overpriced war with sr009, much higher price than the hd800

that's quite a sinful crime already, nobody's innocent

Ata

Forum Donor
Why would one complain about prices? One has the choice to not buy, because of price or any other reason. If one lusts after an expensive Stax, but cannot afford or justify a purchase at 10K, one can opt for the cheaper Stax options. Life is good!

Teroz

I own STAX L700. I use T1 modded tube, tube preamp - Denafrips ARES II DAC.
I got also vast collection of other headphones from HD800 to LCD-X 2021. Iw tested almost all headphones from 2000€ up to 5000€ (not tested STAX 009 or the newest one or Hifiman Susvara). NONE can compete with this STAX set.
The one that can was 50K$ Hifiman shangri-la.
Sure that my STAX set is also about 6500€ but there you go :D
Buy or dont.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own STAX L700. I use T1 modded tube, tube preamp - Denafrips ARES II DAC.
I got also vast collection of other headphones from HD800 to LCD-X 2021. Iw tested almost all headphones from 2000€ up to 5000€ (not tested STAX 009 or the newest one or Hifiman Susvara). NONE can compete with this STAX set.
The one that can was 50K$ Hifiman shangri-la.
Sure that my STAX set is also about 6500€ but there you go :D
Buy or dont.
Any measurements to back up these claims? Please? This Forum is predicated on those, unfortunately.
While you are it, can you please let us know how you tested those headphones? Listening to them and giving us your subjective impressions, simply don't cut it here.
Waiting for your reply.

Peace.

Teroz

Any measurements? You are kidding right? Like i got home +20.000€ measurement equipment's just hanging around. How does measurements show you soundstage, instrument separation or the overall feeling they create?
Just use EQ and you "fix" any measurement you want. There is no hisses or any un wanted noises. Not from amp or DAC. Bass goes down to 20hz without breaking a sweat.
Fast as sound can be.
Sure i got little bear AB box that i use to compare things and thingys.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Bass goes down to 20hz without breaking a sweat.
You sure about that?

Screenshot_20221214_212922.png

Teroz

sq225917

Major Contributor
I like my stax l700 but bassy they are not, and they soon run out of headroom once you start to eq the bass up more than 6db.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Yes. I use bluetac mod and pad lifters. Eq fixes rest. STAX take EQ the best of all headphones i own.
If I was spending 6500€ on a headphone I'd expect not to have to fix its frequency response with blu-tack...

Newman

Major Contributor
just don't forget Stax was the first one who started the overpriced war with sr009, much higher price than the hd800
The Stax SR-009 was released in 2010-11 price $5,250

The Sennheiser Orpheus was released in 1991 price $12,500

Teroz

You can mod about every headphone out there. This is how the curve goes on STAX with modding. It really is amazing when you get the seal as it should be. Even oratory has different EQs for blue tack STAX.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215-024817.png
    Screenshot_20221215-024817.png
    487.8 KB · Views: 115

GaryH

Major Contributor
I know, the point is if you're paying that much Stax should have made sure they're sealed in the first place.

posvibes

I have noticed a pretty dramatic channel imbalance of late in my ancient Stax SR^ headphones, it is the right channel that is much lower by a kind of guesstimate of quite a few dB, so much so that a centred phantom image is no longer appearing especially with vocals. I thought it might have been settings in my computer, or a dodgy cable connection to the ear pad, or a fault in the "energizer" unit or all of the above.

The interwebs are a dangerous place for hooey, but I was wondering if this response I found for this exact problem, although the particular Stax model is not stated, is hooey or is worth a try? I thought I would check first before catching myself doing this and adding another dark secret to my historic audiophile behaviour."

"Just making this post for people like me scouring the web for possible fixes for sudden channel imbalance in their Stax electrostatic headphones. Most are ancient forum posts with 50+ pages of comments with no clear answers, however for one I found randomly posted by "spritzer" on head-case which worked.
Unplug your headphones, discharge them (touch all the pins with your thumb). Give a good open hand slap (not too hard, but not too soft) on both sides of the quiet driver (back of housing, and pad side). Plug back in and test.
Hopefully this fixes the issue, couldn't believe it when it worked flawlessly, when I had a 10db difference between drivers before slapping it.
I guess on the plus side due to this whole ordeal I have a new amp and Stax headphone I bought in expectation for replacing this headphone or amp ..."

Zaireeka

I'll definitely try that on my old SR-5. Do you have a source for this info?

Zaireeka

I mean for the cure, not the imbalance problem.

Top Bottom