• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The science behind Headphones for different Genres

Salmon

Hey Guys!

I am new the forum and Hope to a lot here :)

I am completely new to sound engineering and I understand there are now specific headphones made for different genres. Something like this: https://whoishuman.io/category/by-genre/

Traditionally, everyone just used the simple equalizer in our settings to lower the bass, or increase trebble etc to get the best sound. Do these really work? Have you guys tried them before and what are your recommendations really?

Thanks a lot

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Headphones are not made for specific genres but the tonal balance of some headphones may be more suited for specific genres.

When you have pop or rock music a little bass boost won't hurt, nor a BBC-dip in such a case.
For well made recordings a more neutral headphone is preferred othewise bass would be unrealsitically boomy and fat.
Those listening to classical music may prefer headphones with a tilted up treble.
Jazz and vocal fans may not need deep bass extension for instance.

So SOME headphones may be more suited for certain genres just as some headphones are better suited for low listening level listening and others may sound 'better' at higher listening levels (equal loudness curves).

That said... when a good headphone sounds poor the recording is poor.

Fernando

Forum Donor
Hey Guys!

I am completely new to sound engineering and I understand there are now specific headphones made for different genres. Something like this: https://whoishuman.io/category/by-genre/

Traditionally, everyone just used the simple equalizer in our settings to lower the bass, or increase trebble etc to get the best sound. Do these really work? Have you guys tried them before and what are your recommendations really?

Thanks a lot

On that list there really is a lot of marketing.

paddu

There aren't different type of headphones for different genres. One good headphone can be used for all genres

Eurasian

Forum Donor
My advice is to start with an accepted standard like the HD650 and variants. Once you have had a good chance to live with them with all kinds of music, try others that are purported to solve any weaknesses you perceive. You may find that the Sennheisers are what you prefer. I own many more expensive cans, but seem to put the most miles on my 650s.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hey Guys!

Thanks a lot
Welcome!

I have never understood how a system can possibly be good for one genre of music and not for another. It doesn't make sense. Either a system accurately portrays the sound or it doesn't. If it has a particular "sound" it will colour all playback. That may or may not be unobtrusive depending on many factors, but none of those are music genre. The sound of recordings for example vary within genres.

A complication with headphones is that the sound changes dependant on your own personal ear anatomy and shape. As noted by others start with the Sennheiser hd650.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Not being one to use headphones very much, and upon finding my old ones which, were crap, had decomposed on the shelf from non use, and my (at that time) shiny new DAC had a headphone plug, I bought the HD650, the safe (if slightly warm and veiled) choice, on November 27, 2013, maybe because I liked the gray color better than the blue of the HD600.

It has not refused to play any genres presented to it, so I'm lacking any scientific hypotheses about its suitability, although I will attest that it at least follows the GIGO principle, so far.

Maybe, next year, assuming the Florida Audio Expo comes makes a second appearance, they'll have something fancy I can try out, just for fun.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must admit that I do think that my Sony MDR Z7s work extremely well for pop and rock but are a little bass heavy for classical. I find that the Audio Technica MSR7 is superb for classical but a touch bright and light for rock. The Beyerdynamic T5P ii works well with everything. However these are purely personal subjective opinions.

Top Bottom