• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Rotary Subwoofer - works down to 0Hz

Cosmik

Major Contributor
RW_front.jpg

A new woofer technology unlike any other and a new product category for home audio. This is the first home audio woofer delivering true response to DC. The Thigpen Rotary Woofer is the worlds first true infrasonic home audio or home theater woofer. Conventional subwoofers roll off rapidly below 20Hz. With no cone the rotary woofer achieves high efficiency at very low frequencies.
SPECIFICATIONS
  • Amplifier Requirement: 150 watts @ 8 ohms
  • Impedance: 8 ohms 0Hz : 0Hz
  • Frequency Response: 1Hz : 30Hz ± 4dB
  • Suggested Crossover: 20Hz @ 18dB/octave
  • Sensitivity 94dB 1 watt 1 meter @10Hz
  • Maximum Acoustic Output: >115dB between 1 and 20Hz.
  • Distortion: Typically 3% or less between 1 and 20Hz @90dB
http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

Keith_W

Major Contributor
In my own system, I have the subwoofers deliberately rolled off at 25Hz to avoid rattling the room. Without this roll-off, the windows, doors, picture frames, and internal plumbing rattles. I can only imagine what this thing would do ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
In my own system, I have the subwoofers deliberately rolled off at 25Hz to avoid rattling the room. Without this roll-off, the windows, doors, picture frames, and internal plumbing rattles. I can only imagine what this thing would do ...
That's a very good point, even with just speakers iv had to go native on parts of my lounge to irradiate resonances.. My boiler is full of blue tac :D taken doors right off n threw away.. And more surgery besides that too.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Following their links leads to this field test:

https://bassment.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/king_is59_summary.pdf

"Summary: The Kona Infrasound Noise Generator (KING) is a novel low frequency acoustic transducer capable of projecting controllable infrasound from a compact, energy efficient source. On September 26, 2008 a portable, prototype version of KING was deployed approximately 3.8 km from the central element (H1) of IMS array I59US on the western flank of Hualalai volcano, Hawaii. A series of continuous wave (CW), constant frequency & amplitude sine waves were broadcast and recorded by all four elements of I59US. Signal-to-noise ratios (SNR) on the order of 5 – 15 dB were detected at broadcast frequencies from 5 to 8 Hz. This may be the first controlled insonification of an operational IMS infrasound array from a portable device."

3.8 kilometers away measuring 5 to 8 hz at 5 to 15dB above ambient...

Word for the day: insonification

fas42

Major Contributor
Gotta make sure I start playing more recordings where the composer or producer was clearly pushing the insonifaction factor, as part of the music ...

Okay, your turn ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's a very good point, even with just speakers iv had to go native on parts of my lounge to irradiate resonances.. My boiler is full of blue tac :D taken doors right off n threw away.. And more surgery besides that too.
There's a lot of various woofer isolation schemes on the market from feet to platforms, etc.
I can grasp a bit how physically isolating the driver might help, but. I have to question how effective they can actually be if the speaker is exciting strong bass wavefronts and pressurizing the room from the bass?

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I worked with Bruce Thigpen for a year or so and he and I and a fellow named Thomas D. kicked around the idea (it was Bruce idea to create low frequency transducer with a fan but he was not sure how to implement it) , the key element, which Thomas D. actually came up with was the varying blade pitch idea to do the modulations. Never knew at the time Bruce would take this commercial, but he did and decades ago. We were just three electronics guys chatting one day. Small world.

Top Bottom