• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The role of subwoofer DSP in overall room correction

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If we agree that room correction should focus on the lower frequencies (sub Schroeder) it seems to me that the eq features in subwoofers might play an important role.

If effective, could this be enough for many of us, esp when working with simpler two channel setups and accurate speakers? If it was it would certainly be an important feature in selecting your next subwoofer, and would provide more options for those of us that prefer simple, super clean setups like a Benchmark stack for streaming music.

I use an Anthem AVM60 in a HT room, with 4 fathom f113v2 subs, and an Anthem STR preamp in a bedroom two channel setup that includes 2 fathom f112v2 subs. For fun I used the quick measure function in ARC to measure each sub before and after DARO calibration. Each sub is in a unique acoustic environment and should provide a significant challenge to the DARO software. This process involved considerable crawling around on the floor with accompanying oofs, groans, and occasional small fart, providing considerable entertainment for my wife and dog.

While mostly done for fun I'm hoping the experts among us will comment on the relative impact of subwoofer DSP in overall room management. When I approach the REW/miniDSP approach to eq my brain explodes so I'm always on the lookout for simpler solutions like DARO.

On a separate but related topic, the subs will obviously give us a LP filter for setting a crossover, but the overall SQ might still be dependent on the presence of a HP filter somewhere in your chain. Above my pay grade but perhaps worth additional discussion.

So here are the results, pre and post DARO, in 6 fathom subs.

#1 f112v2 in a 2 channel setup left front wall preDARO

#1  f112 bdrm preDARO.jpg

#1 postDARO

#1  f112 bdrm postDARO.jpg

#2 f112v2 in a 2 channel setup right front wall corner loaded preDARO

#2 f112 corner preDARO.jpg

#2 post DARO

#2 f112 corner postDARO.jpg

#3 f113v2 right side wall HT room preDARO

#3 f113 HT right side wall preDARO.jpg

#3 postDARO

#3 f113 HT right side wall postDARO.jpg

#4 f113v2 right side rear corner loaded HT room preDARO

#4 f113 R corner HT preDARO.jpg

#4 postDARO

#4 f113 R corner HT postDARO.jpg

#5 f113v2 left side wall preDARO

#5 f113 L side wall HT preDARO.jpg

#5 postDARO

#5 f113 L side wall HT postDARO.jpg

#6 f113v2 left rear corner HT setup preDARO

#6 f113 L corner HT preDARO.jpg

#6 postDARO

#6 f113 L corner HT postDARO.jpg

and then just for fun here's the FR of all 4 subs in the HT simultaneously

All four f113s simultaneously.jpg

My impression is that DARO does a good job of knocking down the peaks while leaving the nulls. Look forward to comments :)

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In an ideal world you would treat your room (when building it from the ground up, by making fake walls) so Schroeder’s frequency is around 100Hz.

And you would only EQ the subs and leave the direct sound of the speaker intact.

Dealing with the (first) axial room modes alone would make great improvements, so in a nutshell a well (as in both quality and quantity) treated room would only need the subwoofers EQed.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My impression is that DARO does a good job of knocking down the peaks while leaving the nulls. Look forward to comments :)
Undeniable. Let me suggest that you show the pre/post measurements for using them simultaneously, as you do when listening. :)

GalZohar

I think the value of the built-in subwoofer EQ depends on the capability of your receiver/processor's EQ... After all they are trying to do the same thing, and if one lacks capabilities it's nice to cover it with the other, but if one is super advanced then the other is probably completely redundant.

I think some subwoofers contain built-in EQ to give them an edge over subwoofers with no EQ for systems that don't have a powerful enough EQ on their own (or no EQ at all). Just like most/all subwoofers have some built-in crossover and phase settings for systems that can't do bass management...

OP
E

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think the value of the built-in subwoofer EQ depends on the capability of your receiver/processor's EQ... After all they are trying to do the same thing, and if one lacks capabilities it's nice to cover it with the other, but if one is super advanced then the other is probably completely redundant.

I think some subwoofers contain built-in EQ to give them an edge over subwoofers with no EQ for systems that don't have a powerful enough EQ on their own (or no EQ at all). Just like most/all subwoofers have some built-in crossover and phase settings for systems that can't do bass management...
Agreed. I was spurred on to look at this because of my interest in simple two channel setups that lack any kind of eq for instance those using the LA4 or Topping preamp, or those going right from their DAC to the amp. DARO couldn't be easier to use and should be helpful for such setups. Limiting factor is likely the cost of these subs :)

Top Bottom