• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Rise of the Wide-Angle as "normal" lens.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have 35mm 1.4 and 90mm 2.0 on APSC. Both have their merits. I love the compression of the 90 when there is a bit more body in the frame. For head shots, it doesn’t always work as well as the 35.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Am I, one of the few, this annoys?
As the saying goes: The best photos are taken with the camera you have with you ...

Everyone has a smartphone in their pocket, so that's what gets used. While obviously a longer lense is preferable for portraits people make do with what they've got. I don't take selfies myself, nor do I much look at other peoples selfies so no it doesn't really bother me. And I know how to fix it in Photoshop if the need arises ...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I detest wide angle portraits which is what we mainly get in these days of photograpic diarrhoea.
A 70 to 90 mm lens gives a view as my eyes see it but of course this is useless for a "selfie" and whilst I own lenses much wider I don't use them much, just for particualar "effects".
When I was 15 I was the only person I knew with a camera, shot B&W and developed and enlarged my own work but couldn't afford to take many pictures, one 36 exposure roll per month or so. Nowadays everybody who has a 'phone has a camera and, probably starting because the cost is zero, takes pictures all the time and never makes a print and displays it.

My 15 year old grand-daughter was upset by how awful she felt she looked in photographs and refuses to be photographed. I showed her she looked normal if taken with a normal focal length (90mm) she obviously had no idea it was because a mobile phone is pretty well the worst photographic device ever made for portaits.

I suppose in our crowded world and with the world full of phone and reportage wide angle pictures is what we have got used to.

The word photography means a very different thing today than it did in 1965.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Ahh the Nikon D40. An underrated little camera.
my son's first DSLR -- our daughter still has it (after it passed through my hands for a few years).
If memory serves, it bricked after several tens of thousands of shutter clicks (as expected) -- Nikon fixed it up for a nominal (reasonable) fee and it lives still.

The aforementioned son has bought me two entry level DSLRs (factory rehabs; he's quite fiscally prudent) over the ensuing years (decades, now).
He does buy himself nicer ones ;) albeit used.

litemotiv

Ahh the Nikon D40. An underrated little camera.

It was my first digital camera and i loved it to bits, it's a great beginner/enthousiast camera and the stock 18-55mm lens was very good too.

I went to a D200 from there which was a better camera in some areas but i still missed the overall fun factor of the D40 every now and then, the D200 was a lot more work to get just right.

Top Bottom