• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The REAL Problem of March Audio's Sointuva WG (Review, Measurements and Reinforcements with Klippel device)

poxymoron

No… I actually heard them in person, and they sounded very good. Surprisingly good bass too.

Maybe I listened to them, but I was listening to the music and the speakers just disappeared.

Well maybe there is some spread of QA as many owners seem to like them, and yet a few individuals have complaints.
Some of the well documented cases retracted their positions a bit, so it is unclear whether there is a problem with the speakers or the customer/March interactions, or something else.

I can only comment on the pair I heard, which seemed more like a sound stage… than a distinct pair of speakers.

And to say “subjectivists” is a bit on the nose, IMO.
Unless one is living under a rock, then it is literally the best objective measuring speaker that Erin and some others have measured (at least in that size/class.)
One can wax about subjective reviews all one chooses, but the objective reviews also exist… and they are screaming goodness.
The only thing that may not be good is the impulse response and step function response… or maybe those were not shown.

Granted I heard them first… subjectively, and then I awaited the objective review.
Why not use both approaches? They should correlate if we know science.
I'm not really questioning the objective quality of this speaker. Everything that I've read about it points to it being an excellent speaker objectively, and it's certainly one I would consider if I was in the market for passive bookshelves in this price range, but I prefer actives and these are beyond my budget anyway. My subjective comment was a dig at What Hifi and the people that still think that Hifi reviews begin and end with this magazine. Also a dig at manufacturers who pay for reviews. I don't trust a word What Hifi says in their reviews and most of them are solicited anyway. They can be solicited on ASR too but at least you'll get an honest objective and subjective review here, with detailed results and evidence of testing. Not so much as a photo from What Hifi of any products they review shown in their listening room or connected up to their reference system. Despite all that I do still read What Hifi but only as a news feed to find out about new products, as somebody here noted earlier. Also, I'm not suggesting that March Audio's or these speakers reputation is shot, just that it did take a hit.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I'm not really questioning the objective quality of this speaker. Everything that I've read about it points to it being an excellent speaker objectively, and it's certainly one I would consider if I was in the market for passive bookshelves in this price range, but I prefer actives and these are beyond my budget anyway. My subjective comment was a dig at What Hifi and the people that still think that Hifi reviews begin and end with this magazine. Also a dig at manufacturers who pay for reviews. I don't trust a word What Hifi says in their reviews and most of them are solicited anyway. They can be solicited on ASR too but at least you'll get an honest objective and subjective review here, with detailed results and evidence of testing. Not so much as a photo from What Hifi of any products they review shown in their listening room or connected up to their reference system. Despite all that I do still read What Hifi but only as a news feed to find out about new products, as somebody here noted earlier. Also, I'm not suggesting that March Audio's or these speakers reputation is shot, just that it did take a hit.

I did get an Octo Research DAC8 Pro, and was leaning towards the active XO, and multiple amps
Looks like a lot of s/w required, and it went off the boil a bit.

I might relook at that and do a 3 way with the Purifi drivers, and a tweeter.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The more I think about it, the more I believe the issues with the speaker have been resolved. To me it looks like one of the two or three best passive standmounts on the market.
The thing is that it's a really simple cookie cutter design, you can make the same speaker easily, get the waveguide for bliesma t25b for free from Somasonus, buy 3D printing service, get purifi drivers, put it all together and you have a better speaker with some optimization in vituixcad.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems a few steps are being oversimplified too? :oops:

Holmz

Major Contributor
The thing is that it's a really simple cookie cutter design, you can make the same speaker easily, get the waveguide for bliesma t25b for free from Somasonus, buy 3D printing service, get purifi drivers, put it all together and you have a better speaker with some optimization in vituixcad.

What is the point of making the same thing as one can buy?
Just go and buy it.

Or…
  • Just do another cookie cutter design like a polk and Klipsch and call it a day.
  • Save some $ and use cheaper drivers.
  • Use MDF to same some drama there.
Then “bam” you’re done.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's sooperb that March Audio has geared up for and is geared up for esoteric speaker production/ fabrication. He takes cash orders for stuff that most of us would love to complete. The only issue with March Audio speakers is that they are so different and excel simultaneously at the same time. :D

Holmz

Major Contributor
… He takes cash orders for stuff that most of us would love to complete...

I was thinking of making speakers… but why even start if I am not going to complete it? :facepalm:

I’ll just work on boxes for those subs I got a two years ago Instead. :)

Newman

Major Contributor
Half-finished, half-fast, half-a*sed!

Keith Conroy

With phonics, we don’t need to spell it out.
Well here is an idea.................Work all your projects out in your head and stop there.??? It works great. When you have problems on the project you can work those out in your head too. You always have 100 percent success?? Everything done in your head?? Ya..........Hmm..........there is the downside of no new products to listen to? However there are no 1/2 finished projects to deal with...........LOL.........!!!

Holmz

Major Contributor
Well here is an idea.................Work all your projects out in your head and stop there.??? It works great. When you have problems on the project you can work those out in your head too. You always have 100 percent success?? Everything done in your head?? Ya..........Hmm..........there is the downside of no new products to listen to? However there are no 1/2 finished projects to deal with...........LOL.........!!!

The title of the thread starts off with “Real Problems…”

Maybe contribute something “non-imaginary”?

Last edited:

Keith Conroy

The title of the thread starts off with “Real Problems…”

Maybe contribute something “non-imaginary”?

"Well if we do them quickly and fast, they can also be half-fast projects…" :)..
...........Here was one of your comments?? I sensed a bit of levity. So I thought I would add some levity also..........As with your comment, I didn't expect my post to be taken seriously. I spent a good share of my life designing audio for a living. So I have a non-imaginary side. I have posted as such on this website at different times in the past.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just by way of update. I tried to look at the March Audio Website to determine the latest price on a pair of Sointuva's, and couldn't find it in a google search. Found an old address of

And it returns a "404" error. I'm wondering at this point if he's still in business. Hope I'm not being an alarmist to anyone who purchased any of his products, and I apologize in advance if this is just some temporary technical glitch the site is experiencing. But maybe someone here knows a little more on the situation.
Website was moved to https://www.marchaudio.com/

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about this?>

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about this?>
Really is kind of a reasonable price at 3,444 Eu a pair. If the QC issues are fully addressed, seems like a real bargain.

Top Bottom