• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The REAL Problem of March Audio's Sointuva WG (Review, Measurements and Reinforcements with Klippel device)

Holmz

Major Contributor
Fair enough. These are pretty incredible. I just have perhaps some OCD about things like sealing the box etc. I also prefer active speakers and feel strongly about that.

A part of me wonders what if I got the Dutch and Dutch 8c. Given my new listening distance point source is less important than cardioid bass. Also higher SPL is more important to me now.

If I had to add a sub I would figure out a way using a mini dsp.

Or perhaps using a receiver’s bass management.

So many ways to skin the cat. Sometimes you bought a scalpel when you really need a skinning knife.

Well these speakers with the XO outside of it, could allow one to go active.
I tried, but was not successful in closing that deal.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well these speakers with the XO outside of it, could allow one to go active.
I tried, but was not successful in closing that deal.
Yes at one point I had fantasies of building my own 3 or 4 way speaker.

This would be a much better option. They solved a lot of the physics that I would never be able to. I don’t understand waveguides.

Now even crossovers, really how much do I know? I might optimize for one thing and ruin something else.

I might hear it and like it but be oblivious to something else.

It’s far more formidable challenge than it seems. Far greater minds have been at this problem with some really half baked ideas.

The problem here is the price. At $4000 it’s not much further to have someone else do it for me.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Yes at one point I had fantasies of building my own 3 or 4 way speaker.

This would be a much better option. They solved a lot of the physics that I would never be able to. I don’t understand waveguides.

Now even crossovers, really how much do I know? I might optimize for one thing and ruin something else.

I might hear it and like it but be oblivious to something else.

It’s far more formidable challenge than it seems. Far greater minds have been at this problem with some really half baked ideas.

The problem here is the price. At $4000 it’s not much further to have someone else do it for me.

I agree in general, but the idea of an active XO in DSP/software is a bit easier than woodwork and soldering. Have you seen the 2 hour youtube on speaker phase from Rene?

A lot of the $4k cost is in the drivers and passive radiators.

poxymoron

I was shocked to see if reviewed by... What-Hi-Fi?...:oops:

In fact, it was originally by Sound+Image, which is based in Australia. That makes a bit more sense.

Pros​

• +
    Huge sound from a standmount speaker
  • +
    Irresistible enthusiasm
  • +
    Gorgeous finishes

Sigh....

As with most of their reviews, I suspect that it wasn't a case of What Hi-Fi looking to review these speakers, more a case of these speakers looking for What Hi-Fi to review them. If you know what I mean.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In fact, it was originally by Sound+Image, which is based in Australia. That makes a bit more sense.

Sound and image was an offshoot from Australia HiFi back in the day. It was a total lifestyle magazine, with absolutely zero substance, just pretty pictures and advertiser press releases. And 'reviews' that were just fluff pieces.

We used to get a ton of them (and Australian HiFi magazines) because the Australia wide buying group advertised in those rags. Each month, I'd fan them out on the listening room coffee tables for people to take for free.

But, they were very useful in getting new products some much needed exposure and definitely created interest.

Holmz

Major Contributor

Sigh....

As with most of their reviews, I suspect that it wasn't a case of What Hi-Fi looking to review these speakers, more a case of these speakers looking for What Hi-Fi to review them. If you know what I mean.

I don’t know what you mean, you may have to explain it.

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He is saying it is likely the manufacturer of the speaker asked and offered for the speakers to be reviewed in the magazine. Given that this is how it always happens in the popular press I can't see why that is a problem. No one can buy a speaker if they haven't heard of it, getting your speaker reviewed in a popular magazine is a good way to help. Most magazines rarely write negative reviews especially if the vendor has purchased enough advertising space with them.

Holmz

Major Contributor
He is saying it is likely the manufacturer of the speaker asked and offered for the speakers to be reviewed in the magazine. Given that this is how it always happens in the popular press I can't see why that is a problem. No one can buy a speaker if they haven't heard of it, getting your speaker reviewed in a popular magazine is a good way to help. Most magazines rarely write negative reviews especially if the vendor has purchased enough advertising space with them.

Ok - the other interpritation would have been that the magazine were a bunch of Bummble-Fcks , and needed gear to be spoon fed to them to review.
As they didn’t know they existed or how to find them, etc.

or…. maybe both interpretations at once??

But it is not a dishonour to get them written up In any case.

…. No one can buy a speaker if they haven't heard of it, …

Some people actually did buy them without hearing them, so saying “no one can” is bounding it too far.

I on the other hand heard them, and needed to await the review to make sure my ears heard correctly.
And I still do not have a set (of speakers).

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some people actually did buy them without hearing them, so saying “no one can” is bounding it too far.
I didn’t mean “heard of” to be the same thing as “listened to”.

To be clear if you do not know the speaker exists it will be very hard for you to want to buy it

The readership of ASR and Erin’s Audio Corner don’t make up that much of the overall speaker buying population, looking for brand awareness outside of that makes complete commercial sense.

poxymoron

I'm saying that I too am surprised to see this speaker reviewed in this publication, and that given the well documented issues with these speakers, and March Audio, that this seems like an effort by the manufacturer to save face. At least with the subjectivists who read What Hifi.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm saying that I too am surprised to see this speaker reviewed in this publication, and that given the well documented issues with these speakers, and March Audio, that this seems like an effort by the manufacturer to save face. At least with the subjectivists who read What Hifi.
The more I think about it, the more I believe the issues with the speaker have been resolved. To me it looks like one of the two or three best passive standmounts on the market. It would be good to get further feedback, but there really was nothing brought to light in that unfavorable review that was not readily correctable. I would think for the sake of his business that Alan would have had the good common sense to heed the wake up call.

poxymoron

I would think for the sake of his business that Alan would have had the good common sense to heed the wake up call.

I would too, hence my feelings about this review article.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I didn’t mean “heard of” to be the same thing as “listened to”.

No… I actually heard them in person, and they sounded very good. Surprisingly good bass too.

Maybe I listened to them, but I was listening to the music and the speakers just disappeared.

Well maybe there is some spread of QA as many owners seem to like them, and yet a few individuals have complaints.
Some of the well documented cases retracted their positions a bit, so it is unclear whether there is a problem with the speakers or the customer/March interactions, or something else.

I can only comment on the pair I heard, which seemed more like a sound stage… than a distinct pair of speakers.

And to say “subjectivists” is a bit on the nose, IMO.
Unless one is living under a rock, then it is literally the best objective measuring speaker that Erin and some others have measured (at least in that size/class.)
One can wax about subjective reviews all one chooses, but the objective reviews also exist… and they are screaming goodness.
The only thing that may not be good is the impulse response and step function response… or maybe those were not shown.

Granted I heard them first… subjectively, and then I awaited the objective review.
Why not use both approaches? They should correlate if we know science.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Unless one is living under a rock, then it is literally the best objective measuring speaker that Erin and some others have measured (at least in that size/class.)

It's just one of many tens of thousands of speakers, both from the past and the present. Don't make it out to be anything more than that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just one of many tens of thousands of speakers, both from the past and the present. Don't make it out to be anything more than that.
Well... Lol. Give it some credit where due. :D The optional exotic woodgrains is a fantastic selling feature that fills a niche for many people looking for something upscale. The use of those top of the line drivers is a selling point as well. Then add in it's diminutive size and voila.... WAF achieved. :D If I was still selling gear I would be happy with these as another arrow in my quiver. They would be setup outside the sound room under bright full spectrum lighting to show off the wood and I would have samples for selecting the various woods so the customers can dream all day long about them. They are for a certain special kind of customer. My past sales experience and results have proven that this sort of product agrees with me and makes lotsa money too. I don't even really try to sell this sort of product because it's not for everybody but I do take seriously every single person who wants to audition and experience them and that pays off in months when they come back after saving up money or negotiating with the spouse or whatever was required to purchase them. I think it's a fantastic product. Albeit apparently some growing pains but the errors where not catastrophic.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you still buy them in mdf or hdf board ? I’m sure is a sucker for wood finishes, I think i’m Also guilty of suggesting this in some old tread when Alan still was member here .

But given the issues hardwood can have in any speakers not just these ! I would maybe not risk the money. And go for a safer option with a more dead material .

Thanks to the ASR members informing me of wood working issues with solid wood they seems really hard to mitigate properly maybe not even possible?

I’m sure these really are fine speakers no doubt about that .

I’m just somewhat hesitant about any speaker at all in solid hardwood nowadays given that I learned more about potential issues.

Holmz

Major Contributor

Ok - the drivers have low distortion and compression, and installed in a box that has a good dispersion pattern.
Some of the many thousands are not performing as well.

It is like saying Sea Biscuit is just like any other horse that becomes a bottle of Elmers glue.
It has to be in the top 10%, of your 3000.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It has to be in the top 10%, of your 3000

No. The top 10% of all speakers include products like Yamaha's NS-10000X, the NS-1000X/M, all of the top TADs, Infinity's IRS, Beta and Kappas, along with RS-xxx series. You've got TOTL Sonys, KEFs, Martin Logans, Quad ESLs, B&Ws entire 800 range for the last 40 yeas. It includes all the best JBLs I've ever heard.

This speaker I have not heard, but it is a 2 way, PR smallish speaker. It cannot come remotely close to say even a 1980s JBL L-250ti. Not in power handling, sensitivity, bass extension, distortion across the audible bandwidth or sheer room filling SPL.

A great/excellent smallish 2 way speaker- that what it is.

Holmz

Major Contributor
All good @restorer-john - I have heard more than just a few bad speakers, so maybe I need to get out more.

Even the good ones can sound bad sometimes… I was at a friends and he had the speaker slammed up against the wall.
I asked if I could move them, and pulled them out a 1/2 meter.
He was amazed, but he did not move them anymore after that.

Top Bottom