• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The REAL Problem of March Audio's Sointuva WG (Review, Measurements and Reinforcements with Klippel device)

beagleman

Major Contributor
Can you link some screws you can recommend with MDF? I never had any luck getting screws to grip well in MDF, except when using 6mm SPAX, which is obviously not feasible for loudspeakers.
I'm using 3.5x20mm SPAX like in the pic below, which only work if you have at least 15mm of material to screw into and then you still have to be extremely careful. Of course I don't pre-drill holes. I moved on to a different, superior material anyways, but I'm still curious.
You MUST pre-drill. ;)

I hate MDF as you do, but find it cheap, relatively resonance free, but would prefer to use Plywood for its easy workability and screws seem "easier" to install and remove and so on. A big plus if one takes a driver out often, which I tend to do at times.

Curvature

Major Contributor
((I realize this is a very volatile thread, so I will not reply with my usual snark and humor and so on.))

But quality control issues, and mistakes are part of all manufacturing, Pro level, retail level and diy.

I have seen diy products that are better made than many retail offerings, and others that were lacking as you say.

But using a blanket statement, will often infuriate a lot of people, as there are many members in the forum that are not only into diy speakers, but have moved from Diy for personal use, into small businesses.
I made that statement with all of that in mind.

The balance of probabilities does not look favourably on informal individual efforts.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You know how you can shoot someone and then send them to jail really fast without warning due to severity? A spam offense leading to a permanent ban? Surly one or two warnings would be enough to get any sane person to stop? Or did he just say he doesn't care and said he will keep doing it?
I have no idea. I rarely follow speaker threads. I leave that to the speaker gurus here that know so much more than I.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You know how you can shoot someone and then send them to jail really fast without warning due to severity? A spam offense leading to a permanent ban? Surly one or two warnings would be enough to get any sane person to stop? Or did he just say he doesn't care and said he will keep doing it?
He was given multiple warnings due to his strong efforts to monetize his measurements through sponsorships, commissioned Amazon links, etc.. This came to a head in a public thread where he became outraged and said would quit (see: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ience-review-channel-a-plug.21490/post-834212). I still did not ban him for months despite the many unkind things he said about me. Didn't do it to be magnanimous. Did it because I know how much we all appreciate the data he provides. If he just knew how to do that without causing friction with our mission of not being tied commercially, he would be here like the rest of you.

None of this has anything to do with being good or bad person. No forum would let me go and posts links to our forum if we had advertising/sponsorships in it. They would immediately ban me as a spammer. We put up with this for good number of months and eventually had to make the call and have a hard break. That's it guys. Our decision is final and we want to get on with our lives. You all are welcome to continue to post his videos, his measurements, etc. And you can interact with him in his youtube comments or otherwise.

Toni Mas

I will do my best to stop making sense with these measurement things going forward! Wait, what was the point you were making?

And yours? Why put so much emphasis on details you perfectly know have a marginal impact on sonic performance? Confusing minds? Any interest in doing so?

Last edited:

audiotron

I don't think anybody would buy a car that is not wind tunnel tested for efficiency and performance why should anybody buy an audio product that is not properly lab tested for performance, quality and durability.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You all are welcome to continue to post his videos, his measurements, etc. And you can interact with him in his youtube comments or otherwise.
So I will...:confused:
There you go. He has no difficulty conveying his response.
You know it's not the same doing it through two different medias...

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, that seems a bit harsh. Especially considering the generally high quality of his contributions.

That's also how I feel in general. That being said, given that Erin and this site are direct competitors, if only for eyeballs, in the klippel driven speaker review scene I can understand how ASR can be a bit fed up with what can be considered as constant advertisement aiming at driving traffic to another site. What is really sad, or a bit ridiculous depending on how you look at it, is the simmering hostility that seems to exist between what I consider the three major sources of objective audio hardware reviews...

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just to summarize very briefly, the 86 dB measurement was excluded due to an error in an input parameter that Erin uses to generate anechoic distortion measurements. There is nothing of note in the non-anechoic 86 db measurement. For more details, see his video where he discusses the distortion measurements in detail, including the technical differences between his measurements and Amir's. That part is worth understanding regardless anyone's feelings about the deterioration in the relationship between ASR and Erin.

Penelinfi

I do find it disappointing that despite all the technical/scientific knowledge, it seems people haven't learnt the other aspect of science/engineering - working together calmly to fix problems, without starting hoodoo and conspiracy speculations.
And if someone is a little difficult, does that really mean we should go ham on them straight away?

In any case, I appreciate the analysis of this speaker. All that stuff is something I could fix up if I bought it. As for the waveguide leakage, perhaps that should be brought up with SB acoustics too as it won't just be happening in Sointuva speaker.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Yeah, but poor speaker performance never killed anybody?
Your right, it’s a slow miserable torture by thousands of wince’s and jaw clenching. :p

Top Bottom