• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quintessential 90s pop song?

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I disagree a little bit - only in that - I think Smells Like Teen Spirit has a very, very strong case for being the definitive 90s pop song.
I can roll with Smells Like Teen Spirit as the potential gravitational center point of a generation. Check the fantastic Rick Beato and his "What Makes This Song Great" series. Amazing review of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

But what about Under the Bridge by the Red Hot Chili Peppers for 90's pop hit? Smells Like Teen Spirit has a melancholy despair that has no escape, it just keeps cutting all connections with everyone as Kurt calls himself contagious and tells us to never mind. I guess I did not feel that depressed in the 90's and I listened to other stuff more.

August West

Then this thread will help! ;)

In seriousness, I got very re-interested in "modern" music (mostly of the kind that would eventually becalled AOR or Americana) ca. 1994. I also got re-interested in hifi in a big way in the same general timeframe, catalyzed by the acquisition of a pair of 1977 Klipsch Cornwalls :rolleyes: a McIntosh C-28 preamp and MC-2100 poweramp. Oh, and a Sansui TU-717 tuner. Went to a lot of effort to housebreak the Cornwalls (mostly for naught). Still have the Macs because, gritty-sounding as they are, they say "McIntosh" on the front, so they have some value. I can sell them before I have to offer up a kidney if the goin' gets tough.
The TU-717 is actually a decent-enough tuner (and an attractive one, to boot).
What makes you think I would want to? I've had 30 years to listen to anything modern and I haven't yet. I got too many GD and JG shows I want to listen to first.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Quintessential Beck:

Top Bottom