• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quintessential 90s pop song?

I would consider both these songs pop. The 90s to me was when popular music became the most divergent. With boy bands, country, rap, R&B, soft rock, alt rock and metal all vying for Top50 Hits. I would put these two artists with smashing pumpkins in that goth/alt rock scene that was a pretty huge success. It was one of my least favorite decades as a rock and roll fan. At least there were a number of great female performances from Alanis, Sinead , bjork, Fiona, Annie Lennox among others IMO. To me the decade was notable as rap became the most popular genre of music surpassing rock.
The 90's seem like a decade of accelerating fragmentation, so maybe there will not be a defining song? Music was all over the place, Nine Inch Nails, ICE T, the B52's were still making hits, Seattle Grunge and that makes think of this hit that we listened to a lot in the 90's... Nirvana Unplugged.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The 90s to me was when popular music became the most divergent. With boy bands, country, rap, R&B, soft rock, alt rock and metal all vying for Top50 Hits.

I agree. This was the kind of pop that connected with my generation:

I would put these two artists with smashing pumpkins in that goth/alt rock scene that was a pretty huge success. It was one of my least favorite decades as a rock and roll fan.

I loved all of that and still do.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've never heard a 90's pop song, not even one. Seriously.
Then this thread will help! ;)

In seriousness, I got very re-interested in "modern" music (mostly of the kind that would eventually becalled AOR or Americana) ca. 1994. I also got re-interested in hifi in a big way in the same general timeframe, catalyzed by the acquisition of a pair of 1977 Klipsch Cornwalls :rolleyes: a McIntosh C-28 preamp and MC-2100 poweramp. Oh, and a Sansui TU-717 tuner. Went to a lot of effort to housebreak the Cornwalls (mostly for naught). Still have the Macs because, gritty-sounding as they are, they say "McIntosh" on the front, so they have some value. I can sell them before I have to offer up a kidney if the goin' gets tough.
The TU-717 is actually a decent-enough tuner (and an attractive one, to boot).

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 90's seem like a decade of accelerating fragmentation, so maybe there will not be a defining song? Music was all over the place, Nine Inch Nails, ICE T, the B52's were still making hits, Seattle Grunge and that makes think of this hit that we listened to a lot in the 90's... Nirvana Unplugged.

I disagree a little bit - only in that - I think Smells Like Teen Spirit has a very, very strong case for being the definitive 90s pop song.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I never got over Sweet Jane (sorry Lou)... so for me Cowboy Junkies are always an 80s band...
Heck, I last saw 'em live in November. They're still doin' all right.
When we get to "quintessential '10s pop song" -- I'll post a track or two. :)

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let me channel some Emperor and ask you all to "let the hate flow through you"

Hmmm.... Does Haddaway belong in this one???

Oh... but this one surely

Last edited:
OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Some proto-eurodance:

T99 - Anasthasia (Out of History Mix) [1991]

L.A. Style - James Brown Is Dead [1991]

Felix - Don't You Want Me (Hooj Mix) [1992]

I'll name that door in one:

1677351734917.png