• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quintessential 80s pop song?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
Seeing Grace Slick reminded me of something...

Matia Bazar - Ti Sento (1985)

Matia Bazar - Elettrochoc (1983)
That was when for a while, they were at the forefront of synthpop.

Spectacularly '80s, but spectacular nonetheless.

spigot

Howard Jones - New Song​

Forget guitar solos, this is the 80's, have a synth solo! Great song.

zman01

Bruce Hornsby and The Range: The Valley Road

Doesn't the drummer (John Molo) look a bit like Jack Nicholson here? :)

DoctorRobert

I wanted to add Lloyd Cole & The Commotions with Perfect Skin, but a search showed that it was already mentioned. So I have a mildly related anecdote about Venus by Bananarama.

In the middle of the eighties I was working for Philips in the Netherlands for its CD-mastering business. We built and installed CD-mastering systems; a set of industrial machines that create the spiral-shaped pit-pattern that is on a CD. That pit-pattern is then later reproduced on injection-molded CDs. At that time Philips was hugely successful in the CD business and of course they wanted to expand on that. To that end they created a hybrid of a Laser Disk and an audio CD on a CD-sized disk and called it 'CD-video'. The idea was that in that way you could make and sell a CD-single that also contained the associated video-clip of the song at hand. (And Philips could sell some mastering equipment and a hole lot of dedicated players, if the plan worked.) The thing was that the audio was digital but the video was still analogue. (Yes, it is possible to convert an analogue signal in a pit-pattern.) It was all rather tricky and the accuracy of the mastering process had to be on another level. Mastering imperfections showed first in red-color dropouts in the video part. Venus by Bananarama was chosen as a showcase for the new product. As a result, I have watched the Bananarama clip numerous times over and over again looking for drop-outs or over-modulation in the reds. These days I still see red if I hear the Bananarama cover of Venus.

And, of course, the CD-video miserably failed. Admit it, you never heard about it! If it had anything to do with my contribution is open for debate.

Tremolo

Have we done The Sugarcubes yet?
PXL_20230301_134158114.jpg

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
And, of course, the CD-video miserably failed. Admit it, you never heard about it! If it had anything to do with my contribution is open for debate.
True, but the idea of hybrid disks came back. I believe I have a CD-type single by Coldcut that can play in an audio CD player but if you put it in a computer it also has a video and some software that you can run.

DoctorRobert

True, but the idea of hybrid disks came back. I believe I have a CD-type single by Coldcut that can play in an audio CD player but if you put it in a computer it also has a video and some software that you can run.
That must have been an all digital solution so another type of hybrid. Still, in the heydays of the video-clip that the 80s were there were all kind of attempts to make some profit music videos.
(I overlooked it the first time when I scanned the interwebs for CD-video, but here is the English wikipedia page about this brilliant invention.)

Frank2

17 pages with 80s songs versus 7 for the 90s. What does that tell us, I wonder? ;)

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
17 pages with 80s songs versus 7 for the 90s. What does that tell us, I wonder? ;)
That the eighties were the best music decade ever.

Top Bottom