• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quest for my hyper speaker - Very Large room dilemma

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need 25cm peak to peak cone movement to reach those figures. Can you imagine those woofers managing that?
Are you accounting for room gain? Depending on the room it could boost the response by more than 20db at 8 hz.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not when I heard that pair here last year, I believe the horn is similar to the SM60M,
Then two 15” down below, amp/dsp courtesy of Ram,

Sm60 is What $5k per piece?
Keith
SM60 is not a subwoofer.

Operating Frequency Range...270 Hz - 15 kHz +/- 3 dB
Recommended Processing…200 Hz HP @ 24 dB/Butterworth

ocinn

Sm60 is what around $5k per piece?
Keith
Yes, SM60F's are ~$5k USD after taxes and everything. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that adding a couple of subwoofers, DSP/amps, and putting them in a very pedestrian plain box warrants $65k USD higher retail price.

SM60 is not a subwoofer.

From what I can see, Danley quotes them as having the 8" woofers in the horn, so it would be SM60F not M.

Jimi Floyd

For a very large room I immediately think to the Klipsch Jubilee

maxresdefault.jpg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming you meant to reply to me with the ARA speakers. And yes they have quite a sizeable folded horn (speaker in back is the larger brother of the ones I originally sent, the same concept though).

View attachment 283526
I was simply looking for the explanation of 130dBSPL at 20Hz for those H2 speakers on the Instagram post.

Meanwhile, what will be the low frequency specs of that horn in the picture?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ocinn

I was simply looking for the explanation of 130dBSPL at 20Hz for those H2 speakers on the Instagram post.

Meanwhile, what will be the low frequency specs of that horn in the picture?

I mean I can't give you an answer, I don't have the blueprints. You can probably email them for specifics. I do know there are qualified engineers working on their projects and usually small companies like this are happy to talk.

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 12.51.05 PM.png

Assuming they can probably get away with that claim if they manage [email protected].

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

ocinn

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean I can't give you an answer, I don't have the blueprints. You can probably email them for specifics. I do know there are qualified engineers working on their projects and usually small companies like this are happy to talk.
I’m sorry but why have jumped in if you don’t have any knowledge of the subject?

View attachment 283527

Assuming they can probably get away with that claim if they manage [email protected].
If the operative phrase is “get away” we have a problem.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Yes, SM60F's are ~$5k USD after taxes and everything. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that adding a couple of subwoofers, DSP/amps, and putting them in a very pedestrian plain box warrants $65k USD higher retail price.

From what I can see, Danley quotes them as having the 8" woofers in the horn, so it would be SM60F not M.
Yes, that appears correct....the SM60F.
Keith, sorry for giving you bad info earlier, saying i was pretty sure the Hyperion uses the SM60M.....memory slip.

I'm also quite dismayed to see the enormous price for the Hyperion aimed at the home market,
compared how to a reasonably equivalent box would price out in the pro market.
Seems like pricing to 'what the market will bear'.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We are talking about different things. The only speaker that claimed to work in the bottom octave is the A for Ara speaker.

The Danley Hyperion is based on a SM60F with 2x15" subwoofers. It is 4way:

1219203174_HyperionSpecificationsScreenshot.GIF.333ec96de385f5ecd6a4735e791f4267.GIF
Where can I see this on their website? I can’t find it?

ocinn

The 60k model could be the ILE3 ?
see link above.
Keith
That's just a Jericho J8. a nearly 500lb 149db capable stadium-level PA speaker.

I’m sorry but why have jumped in if you don’t have any knowledge of the subject?
I didn't, please read my original post... I suggested those speakers based on an aesthetic choice for OP's room and then immediately recommended the Danley Hyperion as we have objective metrics of performance for it/trusted company. Never claimed to have in-depth knowledge of the Ara.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There are some specs here HRE1, scroll down,

HRE was the Hyperion and based on the SM60F
Keith

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We are talking about different things. The only speaker that claimed to work in the bottom octave is the A for Ara speaker.

The Danley Hyperion is based on a SM60F with 2x15" subwoofers. It is 4way:

1219203174_HyperionSpecificationsScreenshot.GIF.333ec96de385f5ecd6a4735e791f4267.GIF
The thing is neither speaker is on either company’s website and we have specs declared by the manufacturer. Isn’t that strange?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
immediately recommended the Danley Hyperion as we have objective metrics of performance for it/trusted company.
Based on what? There are no published specs?

Never claimed to have in-depth knowledge of the Ara.
I apologise, I misunderstood when you said “Assuming you meant to reply to me with the ARA speakers.”

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Prototypes of some of the other speakers in the ‘signature’ range,

Keith

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please correct me if I'm wrong. A Spanish physician asked for 143+ dB of dynamics in his flat. You want to give it to him, discussing speaker placement.

If so, it's the most exciting challenge ever posted. I can't imagine how it may relate to me, taking my physical health into concern :cool:

19 pages, please don't stop with speculating!

You're wrong. Many pages back I suggested a pair of loudspeakers which have total of 8 times 12 inch drivers, 4 times 8 inch drivers, 8 times 6,5 inch drivers and of course high frequency drivers. They are active, DSP, have controlled directivity and available 2000 watts of power per speaker. They look like fit for domestic environment and have only waveguides, not horns. Manufacturer's claims for losses over listening distance I find interesting and hopefully are backed up by proper measurements per inquiry.

Still, I think these would also need a proper setup, as any other...

I don't recall anyone mentioning 143+ db. This would be more like car audio competition figures and hardly high fidelity. Also way bad for anyone's health.

Last edited:
Top Bottom