• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The problem with the choice of DAC

HDavidson

Beyond any doubts you will not hear ANY differences. DACs like D70, Khadas, SMSL SU-8, D50, D10, etc.. are all completely transparent to our ears as demonstrated by measurements made by @amirm .

Sorry to contradict you but I have D10 and D70 and compare direct they are a kilometer away to treat the micro-details, dynamism, 3D volume of the sound, deep. Nothing to see.

Veri

Master Contributor
Sorry to contradict you but I have D10 and D70 and compare direct they are a kilometer away to treat the micro-details, dynamism, 3D volume of the sound, deep. Nothing to see.
giphy.gif
;)

Honestly, how did you compare? Bought D70, connected it and said "Wow this is so much better"?

The same at me with Dx3Pro. D70 it is at many miles away.

HDavidson

Honestly, how did you compare? Bought D70, connected it and said "Wow this is so much better"?

Simple. Both are connected and I can switch between them. On some titles that I know very well. It is clear and without appeal.
p.s. topping D10 is at the top for its price

Krunok

Major Contributor

Let me guess.. You probably used a scientific method called "direct sighted comparation" to compare those 2 DACs?

And why wouldn't you, when it is a well known fact that our ears can easilly spot such small differences which even the newest analyzers struggle to measure.

How about trying a true blind test between those 2 DACs in which you wouldn't know which one you are listening and then trying to tell the difference? I'm pretty sure your Superman hearing will suddenly become powerless in that scenario, but don't you worry - much like kryptonite, blind test takes your super hearing powers only temporarily.. ;)

HDavidson

Decades of polemics on this topic on the forums. Do not want anymore.
Amen.. :)

Krunok

Major Contributor
Decades of polemics on this topic on the forums. Do not want anymore.
Amen.. :)

I wouldn' really say "polemics" as subjectivists have no arguments to offer so I would rather say it's "science against prejudice". But I agree with the decades part as for some reason some folks simply can't accept the truth although it can easilly be proved at your home - all you need is a friend who will do the watching & switching and you do listening & guessing. If you are not willing to do that maybe this forum is not the best place for you.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
ASR: audiophile therapy.

Moriarty

Yep. Scientifically correct and free of charge. ;)

Matthias Carstens from RME talks about designing RME ADI-2 DAC:

"One of our testers with very sensitive ears was able to hear the self noise at -115 dBu in our first prototype with highly sensitive Andromeda in-ears, so I had to modify the IEM output stage again, and finally reached -118 dBu. He was satisfied then :)"

RME ADI-2 DAC And Headphone Amplifier THD vs Frequency Audio Measurements.png

Krunok

Major Contributor
Matthias Carstens from RME talks about designing RME ADI-2 DAC:

"One of our testers with very sensitive ears was able to hear the self noise at -115 dBu in our first prototype with highly sensitive Andromeda in-ears, so I had to modify the IEM output stage again, and finally reached -118 dBu. He was satisfied then :)"

View attachment 27322

Interesting..

Have you ever measured the noise level in the room you're listening your music in? Unless you're living in the "extremly quite middle of nowhere" chances are you will measure at least 25-30dB of noise when nothing is playing. Which raises the question what were the conditons in which -115dB was hearable? What was the level of signal vs the level of ambient noise when he was still able to hear -115dB of noise? Heh..

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep. Scientifically correct and free of charge. ;)
I feel like people don't read what this forum is about before they join.

Or that they think they're unbiased robots at the core? I dunno about you, but I'm not about that robot lifestyle.

artnoi

You mean you're not supposed to do this? :)

okcv0znp6j231.jpg

Just kidding of course, a case makes sense in terms of interference/EMI. But until you get a case the board does just.... work.
Oh actually my tone is also naked lol

Attachments

• C40C30C3-570B-4848-91CD-61A684A93DC1.jpeg
    C40C30C3-570B-4848-91CD-61A684A93DC1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 183

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have you ever measured the noise level in the room you're listening your music in? Unless you're living in the "extremly quite middle of nowhere" chances are you will measure at least 25-30dB of noise when nothing is playing. Which raises the question what were the conditons in which -115dB was hearable? What was the level of signal vs the level of ambient noise when he was still able to hear -115dB of noise? Heh..
It says right there: he was using Campfire IEMs (headphones). These provide very high isolation from room noise and people readily report hearing amplifier noise with sensitive IEMs.

Reactions: SIY

Krunok

Major Contributor
It says right there: he was using Campfire IEMs (headphones). These provide very high isolation from room noise and people readily report hearing amplifier noise with sensitive IEMs.

Ok, in that scenario 115dB makes sense.

artnoi

I like your thinking lol :D

How's that DAART Canary thing sound?
To my ears they all sound the same, but the Canary runs very warm and USB connection is very glitchy so I just use it to play optical audio from PS4. I don't have Windows machine so I can't actually upgrade the Yulong firmware. Oh and from the measurement provided by the manufacturer jitter, THD+N look good, but with minor high frequency roll-off (I forgot how many dB down).

Top Bottom