• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The post in which Darko basically tells anyone who isn't a rich rube to ignore him and audiophilia in general

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
YouTube audio reviewers are generally gear slutzs and product shills. I only watch audio , sound engineer people.... they do not give a crap for the gear beyond functionality and how music sounds.

Well, a lot of pro audio people are gear slutz, too.

After all, there is a pro audio website named as such. ;)

Yuhasz01

Darko at least shows his equipment and room space in which he listens to music. Headphone evaluations are all audiophile crap and very subjective nonsense.

welsh

Darko's place looks tidy by comparison.

053117-Guttenberg-600.jpg

I think Steve lives in a pawn shop.
Uh - are those coffins in the background?

welsh

Over-rated *jazz* recording of all time.

The most over-rated recording of any genre is anything by Yoko Ono.
When it comes to Yoko, you don’t want a bonus track. Please correct me if I somehow imagined this, but didn’t she put out an album just after Lennon was murdered, with cover art featuring a broken and bloodied pair of Lennon-style spectacles?

welsh

It means the objectivist camp needs to start learning what the subjectivists are doing right in terms of being effective communicators.

Unless people like being in a perpetual state of being the small, but correct, minority raging impotently at the Big Audio Machine.
I agree about the danger of being seen as an angry minority. The Audio Critic ‘magazine’ ended up coming over as aggressive and embittered.

welsh

It's not "twice as fast", and while there's wiggle room as regards tempos, remember Beethoven said to a performer complaining about the difficulty of one of his scores---"What do I care about your damn fiddle?" He knew it would be hard to play, he didn't care. Beethoven's music can be performed at Beethoven's metronome indications, there's plenty of recordings that demonstrate that. Again, smaller venues, fewer players, instruments with different sounds, particularly Beethoven's primary instrument, the early pianos [Fortepianos, as they are often called] with a much shorter duration of each note. This isn't guesswork, and while the sluggish tempi of recordings by the likes of Furtwangler and Klemperer or Barenboim became accepted by critics, in no way are they anywhere near the "Classical" style of performance. Beethoven isn't Wagner. There's more than enough documentary evidence of the validity of faster tempi.
Famously, a violinist once complained to Schoenberg about the difficulty of a particular score. ‘I’ll need to grow another finger to play this!’ he exclaimed. Schoenberg looked at him and said: ‘I can wait...’

welsh

Skepticism is generally healthy, but of course we are not discussing a scientific hypothesis per se. The question we are discussing is one where it seems fair to ask whether the skepticism is well-informed, i.e., whether the skeptic has studied among other things the mathematics of cyclic redundancy checks.

I am fairly confident that among people who truly understand the question at hand there is consensus that the specific reason I discussed, for why digital encoding of audio is inherently superior to analog encoding of audio, is the correct, primary reason. People whose interest in the question stems from their appreciation for high fidelity will generally answer the question from that perspective, i.e., the demonstrable differences in the sound quality for, most often, CD vs. vinyl. However, there is not likely any inherent reason why analog encoding of audio cannot be every bit as good as the best digital encoding, for however long the analog encoding survives anyway. To illustrate this point I will point out that it is possible to use the analog signal from a microphone to modulate the amplitude or frequency of a high-frequency carrier and record the carrier on a videotape machine similar to a video signal. Of course this is what home VCRs did, some of them at least, although I'm not knowledgeable of what level of quality would likely be assigned to the particular method used in actual practice. Whatever limitations there were, when this technology was in common use two or three decades ago, there is no inherent reason why this method couldn't be improved, essentially at whim, to the point of being entirely indistinguishable from the best digital recordings.

Thus, it is not entirely correct to view superior fidelity as the essential, primary advantage of digital encoding of audio over analog encoding of audio. I'm not suggesting that you wrote anything the least bit contrary to this, I'm merely pointing this out because the discussion wandered down a path where it now seems relevant to point this out in a plain manner. The true, primary advantage of digital encoding of audio is with the long-term survivability and preservation of the encoded information.

Of course it is conceivable that some great catastrophe will occur before 12020 comes around, such that civilization collapses. I think it would be a stretch to use this kind of possibility to argue against the assertion that present-day digital encodings of audio will survive long into the future, longer by orders of magnitude in fair comparison to the survivability of analog recordings.
I like to imagine the helpless laughter of the aliens who eventually come across the playable record on that deep-space probe (Voyager?) and work out how to listen to it...

Spinitch

He gets nice equipment to review, explains features what he likes or dislikes. Limited but not useless. Wish the loud sound affects could be eliminated from his vids, I keep volume low for these peaks but then harder to hear him.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
This was funny, I hadn't seen this video of Darko.

He is on my 50/50 list so not everything that he says in his reviews is BS. I think sometimes he has decent reviews. Although this one scored a lot of points on the BS list.
Most of the time I whatch his reviews at double speed because he talks pretty slow. And I have to say I like the editing and quality although sometimes I have to agree that it is too much.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was funny, I hadn't seen this video of Darko.

He is on my 50/50 list so not everything that he says in his reviews is BS. I think sometimes he has decent reviews. Although this one scored a lot of points on the BS list.
Most of the time I whatch his reviews at double speed because he talks pretty slow. And I have to say I like the editing and quality although sometimes I have to agree that it is too much.

So his opinion is about as good as flipping a coin. :p
You can get some good video to assess aesthetics, size, and connectors.

- Rich

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
He compares the the Tune Tot to Kii Three and says the the Wilson is better in some ways.
Another funny thing is that all comments are off on his videos for some reason.
:facepalm:

Last edited:

krott5333

Mr. Darko is looking pretty rough. The apartment is tidy though. He's pitching to people who lean toward obsessive-compulsive. Even if you disagree with just about everything he is pitching, you are a lost cause when you watch this shit because eventually you start buying into a deep and wide string of unstated presumptions that underlie the entire conversation. The unexamined presumptions that are the foundation of supposedly 'serious' talk/speech get taken in (by you as observer) even while you actively think you are discarding the chaff. You see, you have an unstated presumption that seriousness and earnestness can be trusted, or that it can lead to some clarity. There is a presumption that seriousness and earnestness is certainly better than naked women parading a product on a stage. And if there is seriousness--which is a posture--there is sincerity and the possibility of truth...or some kind of truth at some level) which hides the fact that the entire production down to the books in the bookcase, and the colors on the wall and the eyeglasses are a stage set and fraud. That is, even it it is shot in Darko's home and we see the true reality of Darko's home, the truth is Darko himself is lost in fashion and the current fads and glossy surfaces. We pick up cultural/social clues in how to portray ourselves. You cannot be nothing. You have to fabricate and construct yourself and so you pick and chose from the clues that engulf us. Heaven help the person who declares that he is above all that 'influence,' and who declares he is his own man. If the presentation or conversation makes sense to you and you can follow it, and it speaks in your terms, then you have subscribed to and live within the milieu of presumptions that are the foundation of that social/cultural clique that used such language. Just giving the pitchman your time and attention compromises you. I can hear you all saying "No me. I'm able to cut out the bullshit." Sure you are. You have to live in some milieu, and present yourself in the language of some milieu--if you aren't an actual schizotypal personality disorder person. The pitchman relies on the fact that you are caught up in the need to ascribe to some social clan, and so he leads you by the nose to sell you the clan that you aspire to...which always looks better than the one you are in now. The grass is greener on the next half-step up in the social hierarchy.

Andrew Robinson also has that fake sterile overly-produced home/set going on that I don't trust at all, as though the dude always has an overabundance of sunlight pouring into his room. Bunch of BS.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Andrew Robinson also has that fake sterile overly-produced home/set going on that I don't trust at all, as though the dude always has an overabundance of sunlight pouring into his room. Bunch of BS.

I recently found Andy's channel and within a few minutes my spidy senses were tingling. Comes across as the worst kind of salesman. High production value with little actual value.

fieldcar

I recently found Andy's channel and within a few minutes my spidy senses were tingling. Comes across as the worst kind of salesman. High production value with little actual value.
He almost actually sold me on some jamo towers when they were highly discounted and I was searching for reviews. I forget which set, but erin's audio reviewed it and found major technical flaws with the woofer and crossover. I'm so glad I just went for the jbl 590's.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I am fairly certain he makes up at least 50% of the stuff he writes in his script.

Is he a Scientologist? He seems like he would be.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Top Bottom