• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The post in which Darko basically tells anyone who isn't a rich rube to ignore him and audiophilia in general

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because to be quite honest, most of us plebes really don’t know D from G from H, or even A from B or A/B for that matter, beyond the basics. I amended my post because I didn’t want the multitude of more knowledgeable people on this site to give me grief thinking I confused class D with Digital.

See where that got me... ; )

Someone did that recently and someone else said something like, "You do realize that Class D isn't digital." That kind of bugged me when it happened, and without looking back to see where it had occurred I assumed that it was you who had referred to Class D as a "digital amplifier", this being a plausible explanation for why you more recently went to the bother of saying that you realized that Class D isn't digital. So my remark was really intended to sort of question the purpose behind drawing the distinction and for previously admonishing you (if it was you) for referring to a Class D amp as a "digital amplifier". My purpose here was not to admonish you or anything of that sort, but to mildly admonish in a very sheepish way that idea that the distinction was all that important. If I made you feel self-conscious I apologize; that was not my intent at all. But I did also decided, after I thought about the question for a moment or two, that it might be appropriate to clarify the distinction so that at least someone had actually said something about why a Class D amp isn't, strictly speaking, a "digital" amp. In any case, I again apologize if I offended you even in the slightest, which was certainly not my intent.

KaiserSoze

Yes and no. A stereo cartridge will output any vertical rumble on the LP, which in the days of mono would not have been a consideration so may be higher than an LP cut on a stereo lathe.

Also, a mono cartridge ideally will have a different profile to a stereo cartridge as the grooves were slightly wider and a modern stereo cartridge will ride lower in the groove and pick up more of the dirt etc in the bottom.

S

I appreciate that answer, and now that you've jostled my memory, I do recall from a long time ago that there is a difference in the groove width and that a stereophonic needle will ride low in the groove of a monaural recording. If CD hadn't come along when it did, I would in all likelihood have become better educated in the geometry of the groove, but I pretty much loss interest in it around 1983. Wow, has it really been so long ago?

cistercian

Forum Donor
I put new cables on yesterday and they sound better than my old ones!

Obviously something was wrong...I took apart the old #12 cables. Try #16 or smaller! They were very inexpensive!
The new cables were supposed to be #8...they are actually number 12 wire. @ over 400 watts peak during bass hits
the difference was obvious.

See...cables do matter! Don't use hookup wire or # 30 magnet wire for a high power system!

I bought the bigger cables specifically to handle the high peak current used by the 2 Ohm 15" driver
in the cab. It was epic in my small room before and I just wanted a margin for peak...
Speakons are new to me so I bought assemblies...which was stupid. Off to lowes tommorow for something
large to convert the weak micro gauge into something worthy.

The #12 cables sound great. I don't expect my homebrew ones to sound different. It is just the principle
of the thing...I can damn sure build better cables than the hook-up wire ones I got. I wondered why they were
so flexible yet so inexpensive. FAIL.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Someone did that recently and someone else said something like, "You do realize that Class D isn't digital." That kind of bugged me when it happened, and without looking back to see where it had occurred I assumed that it was you who had referred to Class D as a "digital amplifier", this being a plausible explanation for why you more recently went to the bother of saying that you realized that Class D isn't digital. So my remark was really intended to sort of question the purpose behind drawing the distinction and for previously admonishing you (if it was you) for referring to a Class D amp as a "digital amplifier". My purpose here was not to admonish you or anything of that sort, but to mildly admonish in a very sheepish way that idea that the distinction was all that important. If I made you feel self-conscious I apologize; that was not my intent at all. But I did also decided, after I thought about the question for a moment or two, that it might be appropriate to clarify the distinction so that at least someone had actually said something about why a Class D amp isn't, strictly speaking, a "digital" amp. In any case, I again apologize if I offended you even in the slightest, which was certainly not my intent.
Not even remotely taken negatively!
I was just laughing because I actually edited my post to avoid getting the “You know D’s not digital, right?” bit and being seen as a rube, and yet you come along and say that in some ways it really is digital and if you had the job of classification you’d toss Class D into the digital camp.
Though I admit, unlike Spock, I have an ego to bruise....and as relatively uninformed I feel I am on this website relative to others, I do suffer a certain trepidation of being called out for my lack of knowledge. But in this case, I assure you I came out entirely unscathed. ; ) I do appreciate your concern though.

cistercian

Forum Donor
Ha! Indeed, like my turntable:

View attachment 79153

In fact at one point I was experimenting with employing some LED lights, which I would have embedded hidden in a frame around the turntable platform, to increase the shine factor:

View attachment 79154

Never got around to doing it though.
I was glad when CD's came out and use them exclusively. I found using records tedious. That being said......

Your turntable is EPIC!!! I am certain you derive great satisfaction using it.
For lighting you should try lasers. They make Cyan ones now and they are gorgeous! (488nm)

mansr

Major Contributor
Because to be quite honest, most of us plebes really don’t know D from G from H, or even A from B or A/B for that matter, beyond the basics.
Class B amplifiers, known in Germany as class H, suffer from crossover distortion. This is addressed in class AB (B in Germany) by means of...

Whoever can trick a hi-fi mag into putting that in print gets a troll award.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was glad when CD's came out and use them exclusively. I found using records tedious. That being said......

For lighting you should try lasers. They make Cyan ones now and they are gorgeous! (488nm)

Ha! Thanks. Glad you like it too.

It does give me lots of pleasure, not just listening, but I never really get tired of looking at the thing in action, and it's german engineering pedigree
is evident in everything about it, the feel, the arm, the silky "clunk" of the on/speed dial (that round disc to the front left of the turntable is the
on/speed selection dial). And it's just neato to turn it on and note a motor system that is so utterly smooth and silent.

cistercian

Forum Donor
Class B amplifiers, known in Germany as class H, suffer from crossover distortion. This is addressed in class AB (B in Germany) by means of...

Whoever can trick a hi-fi mag into putting that in print gets a troll award.
AB1 or AB2? I had no idea that in Germany the nomenclature was different. I find that fascinating!
Class B modulation was common in old transmitters. Typically a couple of giant triodes and even
more impressive transformer. I have fond memories of an ancient RCA transmitter for a local 1KW
BCB transmitter that used 2 833A triodes in class B to modulate a couple of 833A tubes in class C.
The modulator tube's plates were always more orange than the RF output pair. They failed faster too.

cistercian

Forum Donor
Ha! Thanks. Glad you like it too.

It does give me lots of pleasure, not just listening, but I never really get tired of looking at the thing in action, and it's german engineering pedigree
is evident in everything about it, the feel, the arm, the silky "clunk" of the on/speed dial (that round disc to the front left of the turntable is the
on/speed selection dial). And it's just neato to turn it on and note a motor system that is so utterly smooth and silent.

Epic man! I think it is fantastic. I have seen some videos of German Hi Fi shows and the turntables were remarkable.

Most excellent!

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Well, I’ll stick with my old AR “The Turntable” and Sumiko MMT and Dynavector cartridge...which I rarely use. But I love having it there nonetheless. And yes, I love the physical quality and “feel” of a beautifully designed piece of machinery, whether it be a turntable, or woodworking tool. (Another hobby) I can’t get around the diminishing returns part, but if you’re happy, then I can’t deny that’s equally important. The joy of music and the equipment one chooses is highly personal...and I can’t deny the psychoacoustic value of something beautifully built and designed in one’s system. Still, my AR does pretty well...likely fairly close to the limits the medium has to offer, so yeah, I’m good!
Besides I own Vandersteen 2 ce’s. Not much to look at so no reason to leave the lights on while I sit and listen. Music to me sounds better with less distraction and a glass or two of wine... ; )

Typevii

I bought a 4 pack of this rotgut in a Parisian convenience store in the 15th arrondisement in 2015 to drink in my hotel room, not really knowing what it was:

100_0424.JPG

Looks like this thread has de-railed back to audio discussion.

Any french lager needs Picon added.
Much like adding Campari to white wine.

Sophisticated special brew.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Looks like this thread has de-railed back to audio discussion.

Any french lager needs Picon added.
Much like adding Campari to white wine.

Sophisticated special brew.
In these parts, anything in a mason jar from questionable sources will do. We’re not picky.
Actually, I’ve kind of enjoyed the diversity, but since Thomas Savage and watchnerd have kind of opted out...it’s never been quite the same. Still, I’m fairly sure Jimbob54 is somewhat relieved that the thread seems to be dying down. Feel free to reanimate it as you see fit. It’s definitely been a unique ride.

Still think the airport thing was kind of weird though...

Last edited:

win

Still, my AR does pretty well...likely fairly close to the limits the medium has to offer, so yeah, I’m good!

Nah. You're missing out on the deeper, more musical soundstage and emotional involvement. No way you can separate the players' 3D holographic positioning with such a low end setup. I would recommend a more entry level setup like this http://www.koetsuaudio.com/cartridges#/rosewoodsignature

KaiserSoze

I still think it needs a cowbell.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
I still think it needs a cowbell.
I actually tried that per your suggestion. My neighbor, who has approximately 100 head, came over looking for his missing cow that for some reason was managing to ring his bell at 33 1/3 times per minute, +/- .5%, with a rumble figure of -65 db and exceptionally low wow and flutter. I used to know what that meant, but now I don’t really care. ; )

KaiserSoze

Nah. You're missing out on the deeper, more musical soundstage and emotional involvement. No way you can separate the players' 3D holographic positioning with such a low end setup. I would recommend a more entry level setup like this http://www.koetsuaudio.com/cartridges#/rosewoodsignature

Maybe I should just jump on the bandwagon and then start making my own little cartridges so that I can sell them for $20,000 apiece. The cost of materials is obviously negligible, and once up and running I expect I could churn out several of these little boogers each day, doing most everything by hand with the help of a few simple jigs to hold things in place.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Maybe I should just jump on the bandwagon and then start making my own little cartridges so that I can sell them for $20,000 apiece. The cost of materials is obviously negligible, and once up and running I expect I could churn out several of these little boogers each day, doing most everything by hand with the help of a few simple jigs to hold things in place.
Actually, it’s probably a bit more complicated then that, but I like your chutzpah.
Cables on the other hand...have at it. 6 ft of some monoprice quad with tech flex and fancy looking gold plated connectors could easily net you a few hundred dollars/ euros or more. Just use terms like “liquid” and “airy” “and superior bass integration” in your marketing flier. Of course, a Darko review wouldn’t hurt either.
Just remember, you’d have too look at yourself in the mirror from time to time.

Top Bottom