• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The post in which Darko basically tells anyone who isn't a rich rube to ignore him and audiophilia in general

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Condescending and elitist is Darko's brand.
You little beginners with your starter DACs and amps don't need to bother with this. Cute little toys. Not what the big boys use, of course, but good enough.....

onion

Honestly, I thought this video was a sly FU to the audio-foolery that butters his bread

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, I thought this video was a sly FU to the audio-foolery that butters his bread
I'd love it if it were so.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
As an ex-resident of Berlin-Kreuzberg, I have no idea what the hell you're trying to say here. I can't think of five other places on earth I'd rather live, personally.

I can think of 5 places, but I still don't get the comment.

I've enjoyed Berlin every time I've visited.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
It's infotainment.

I find Z Reviews more amusing.

Z was amusing the first few videos I watched. His shtick got old pretty fast. I did however catch a vid last night of him boxing up his headphones getting ready for a move and it made the "payoff" of being a youtube reviewer patently obvious. Dude probably has 50 grand worth of headphones kicking around his crummy place...along with all the speakers and other gear. Ain't no way he's buying all that stuff himself.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Ain't no way he's buying all that stuff himself.

Of course he isn't.

I don't think he says otherwise, except in a few cases where he admits to liking something enough to buy it.

This is no different from Stereophile reviewers who have gear on loan, temporarily or permanently.

This how the game works.

Last edited:
OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Z was amusing the first few videos I watched. His shtick got old pretty fast. I did however catch a vid last night of him boxing up his headphones getting ready for a move and it made the "payoff" of being a youtube reviewer patently obvious. Dude probably has 50 grand worth of headphones kicking around his crummy place...along with all the speakers and other gear. Ain't no way he's buying all that stuff himself.

I don't begrudge anyone getting stuff if it's transparent that's the deal. Z makes no secret of it, has frequent yard sales etc.

Is he an objective reviewer? Hell no. Is he a "good" reviewer? Of form and function he isn't too bad. Of the "sound"? Hell no again.

Infotainment as others have said. I don't even mind Darko when he is giving basic advice. I lose it when he goes full on shill /anti science

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't begrudge anyone getting stuff if it's transparent that's the deal. Z makes no secret of it, has frequent yard sales etc.

Is he an objective reviewer? Hell no. Is he a "good" reviewer? Of form and function he isn't too bad. Of the "sound"? Hell no again.

Infotainment as others have said. I don't even mind Darko when he is giving basic advice. I lose it when he goes full on shill /anti science

Z is more transparent about it than many Stereophile reviewers.

I highly doubt Michael Fremer paid $100K for his Continuum turntable crammed into his NYC apartment. Or likewise for Herb Reichert for the gear in his bohemian artist space.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

Oh yeah I agree. Don't begrudge it at all. I just think it's important to remember that when these guys are talking about the magical sound benefits of all sorts of expensive gear, they don't actually have any skin in the game. The audio benefit of say a $4000 dac compared to a $400 dac might be far less significant and notable to a Guttenberg if he was actually out shopping with his own coin.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Oh yeah I agree. Don't begrudge it at all. I just think it's important to remember that when these guys are talking about the magical sound benefits of all sorts of expensive gear, they don't actually have any skin in the game. The audio benefit of say a $4000 dac compared to a $400 dac might be far less significant and notable to a Guttenberg if he was actually out shopping with his own coin.

Isn't it the same for pretty much most reviews?

Instagram "influencers" in cosmetics or whatever are sent free product.

"Road & Track" doesn't buy the cars they test.

That's how the world works.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Isn't it the same for pretty much most reviews?

Instagram "influencers" in cosmetics or whatever are sent free product.

"Road & Track" doesn't buy the cars they test.

That's how the world works.

well, no...but I'm pretty sure most road and track auto reviewers don't have a garage full of cars they've been gifted. But yeah, it's the same story in other hobbies too. It can lead to the illusion that having a house full of expensive stuff is the bar for entry into the club...in this case the audiophile club.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It can lead to the illusion that having a house full of expensive stuff is the bar for entry into the club...in this case the audiophile club.

A house full of expensive stuff *is* the audiophile club.

See Amir's comment above scoffing at LS50.

And it's not like readers of this site are immune.

Paying for better SINAD in the inaudible range is not exactly rational consumerism, either. It's just a different type of d-swinging.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
A house full of expensive stuff *is* the audiophile club.

See Amir's comment above scoffing at LS50.

And it's not like readers of this site are immune.

Paying for better SINAD in the inaudible range is not exactly rational consumerism, either. It's just a different type of d-swinging.

Sure thing. I didn't intend to make any sort of grand statement really. It was just watching that specific vid of Z trying to pack all his headphones in bins really hammered the fact home.

Although I'm not sure paying for better SINAD is really much in the way of D swinging if the amount you're paying is actually less, lol...a house full of expensive stuff is really more the audiophool club than the audiophile club a lot of the time.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG. Totally off topic, but I used to mogul ski to Beverly Hills Cop and the Pointer Sisters. Still fun music.
My older body somehow doesn't need moguls anymore.

Fixed it for you.

CASE2112

Forum Donor
Mr. Darko is looking pretty rough. The apartment is tidy though. He's pitching to people who lean toward obsessive-compulsive. Even if you disagree with just about everything he is pitching, you are a lost cause when you watch this shit because eventually you start buying into a deep and wide string of unstated presumptions that underlie the entire conversation. The unexamined presumptions that are the foundation of supposedly 'serious' talk/speech get taken in (by you as observer) even while you actively think you are discarding the chaff. You see, you have an unstated presumption that seriousness and earnestness can be trusted, or that it can lead to some clarity. There is a presumption that seriousness and earnestness is certainly better than naked women parading a product on a stage. And if there is seriousness--which is a posture--there is sincerity and the possibility of truth...or some kind of truth at some level) which hides the fact that the entire production down to the books in the bookcase, and the colors on the wall and the eyeglasses are a stage set and fraud. That is, even it it is shot in Darko's home and we see the true reality of Darko's home, the truth is Darko himself is lost in fashion and the current fads and glossy surfaces. We pick up cultural/social clues in how to portray ourselves. You cannot be nothing. You have to fabricate and construct yourself and so you pick and chose from the clues that engulf us. Heaven help the person who declares that he is above all that 'influence,' and who declares he is his own man. If the presentation or conversation makes sense to you and you can follow it, and it speaks in your terms, then you have subscribed to and live within the milieu of presumptions that are the foundation of that social/cultural clique that used such language. Just giving the pitchman your time and attention compromises you. I can hear you all saying "No me. I'm able to cut out the bullshit." Sure you are. You have to live in some milieu, and present yourself in the language of some milieu--if you aren't an actual schizotypal personality disorder person. The pitchman relies on the fact that you are caught up in the need to ascribe to some social clan, and so he leads you by the nose to sell you the clan that you aspire to...which always looks better than the one you are in now. The grass is greener on the next half-step up in the social hierarchy.
SNAP! Astute observation.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, but one with a real tape measure instead of a measuring by bull.

Top Bottom