• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The point of diminishing for speakers is...?

Robin L

Master Contributor
. . . On the other hand, this is a demonstration of someone who broke through the point of diminishing returns for speakers. Money was no object: he built a room for his "stereo" to maximize potential sound quality and custom built his own audio system. This is the point of no return:

I finally got around to the end of this hour-long video. Ken Fritz says he's 76, this appears to be a very recent video. He's got 28,000 LPs, many unboxed. I noticed he picked up a massive load of opera records he's not going to listen to. In any case, by my calculations, it would take three years and change to play every LP if the LPs are played continuously, 'round the clock. Make it a generous 4 hours a day, every day, that's something like twenty years. The question, again, is "What is the point of diminishing returns for speakers". Ken Fritz built the speakers, the room, all the furniture in the room and kept on working on this project until he started to develop ALS. The whole enterprise cost about $2 million. And the man says he's happy with what he's done.

For me, the point of diminishing returns has a far lower bar. The more I play my guitars, the less I want to spend on audio equipment and recordings. That is a path for me out of obsessive behaviors that have prevented me from moving forward with my own projects, my own music and art. But I think Ken Fritz demonstrates that for some people, with this hobby, there is no point of diminishing returns.

carewser

Nope, they're too expensive unfortunately, I'll be probably be get getting an SVS sub

Even though i've never owned an SVS sub, I have 10 other subs (they're kind of my thing) and i've heard more praise for SVS subs than all other sub companies put together so I believe that's an excellent choice

Ken Fritz makes all of us here look like casual, occasional listeners. He's the epitome of OCD but what a system. At 35 kilowatts obviously efficiency is irrelevant but i'd like to know it's frequency response

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Even though i've never owned an SVS sub, I have 10 other subs (they're kind of my thing) and i've heard more praise for SVS subs than all other sub companies put together so I believe that's an excellent choice

Ken Fritz makes all of us here look like casual, occasional listeners. He's the epitome of OCD but what a system. At 35 kilowatts obviously efficiency is irrelevant but i'd like to know it's frequency response

Unless you want the features of a Genelec SAM-enabled subwoofer with your SAM-enabled monitors, of course. I knew very well that performance wise in output I could get a much better deal (I've own SVS subs for many years), but now I do have a desktop 2.1 system that has room compensation that is stored in the monitors and subwoofer.

Blaspheme

Speaking of diminishing returns, I noticed today that the dealer I bought my last speakers from just raised the price of that model by 33%, and the model below by 50%. I actually felt a little nauseous (paradoxically, because I already have mine, but still).

So the hypothetical scenario of buying them new recedes. If I were starting again, I'd be trying to hear D&D, Genelec and Kii (preferably at home). I don't care much about L1, but I expect L2 (see above) would be in that area.

Last edited:

Cadguy

I just auditioned the Magico A3s driven by Bryston mono blocks at a dealer and was unimpressed. The room had various treatments, the speakers were 7 feet apart and 4 feet from the front wall and 3 feet from the side walls. I used my own music. These Magicos retail for 10x the amount I paid for my Athena Technologies S3 P3 speakers in 2003 and I would not trade mine even straight up for the Magicos. For me the point of diminishing returns is about $1000. :D

Top Bottom