• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The placement of the speakers in the room and the sound quality.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi. I am interested in the topic - placing the speakers in the right place in the room.
According to some people, the columns must have the right amount of space on the sides and in the back.
I'm not an expert, but doesn't it depend on the specific room, the specific environment, the acoustics of that particular room?
Couldn't it be, for example, that in room X, the speakers Y will sound better in the corners of the room than, for example, 50 cm - 100 cm away from the side walls?
Regards

kiwifi

Hi. I am interested in the topic - placing the speakers in the right place in the room.
According to some people, the columns must have the right amount of space on the sides and in the back.
I'm not an expert, but doesn't it depend on the specific room, the specific environment, the acoustics of that particular room?
Yes
Couldn't it be, for example, that in room X, the speakers Y will sound better in the corners of the room than, for example, 50 cm - 100 cm away from the side walls?
Yes

Holmz

Major Contributor
Regards

Yeah - and whether the speakers radiate wide or narrow also enters into it.
So it is a problem with multiple variables.

And speaker toe-in is chucked in at some point.

alex-z

Yes, speaker placement has a huge impact on sound. Logically, the listening position also has a huge impact. Acoustic treatment + EQ can mitigate a lot of issues, but best practices should still be followed.

For example:

Do not sit close to a wall.

Distance from speaker baffle to each wall should be different.

Overall room and speaker layout should be symmetrical.

Common myths:

All speakers should be toed-in. It actually depends on the on-axis response + directivity. Some speakers have excess treble and should be toed away.

Front and rear ported speakers need dramatically different wall distance. Port just needs room to flow air, the baffle to wall distance is what impacts your mid-bass.

Two speakers with on-axis response will sound similar. The total radiated sound power is a far better indication of predicted in-room response.

FeddyLost

ouldn't it be, for example, that in room X, the speakers Y will sound better in the corners of the room than, for example, 50 cm - 100 cm away from the side walls?
Despite ambiguity of "sound better" - yes.
Typically speakers are made with some use cases in mind (or in subcoscious) and designed accordingly. Like on-wall models, Klipschhorns, etc.
Ideally, speakers must have some kind of user manual where preferred placement is described.

PS That might be reason for differences between american sound and british sound, for example. Typical houses are different and anechoic speakers' tuning also.

Cote Dazur

Hi. I am interested in the topic - placing the speakers in the right place in the room
From my experience, placing the speakers "in the right place" is very important, possibly the most important aspect when trying to get great sound out of a stereo set up, not just the image but for the sound.
Having freedom of placement is, to me, key to a satisfying experience. Second most important is where you sit in that room, second but also key.
In my world, having speakers well away from front wall, with lots room away from side walls and seat well away from back wall, can yield excellent and spectacular results even with average or below average gear.

I have never heard anything sound great when placed near boundaries, none of my gears trough the years, none of the gears, at any price point ( not that it usually matters anyway) at shows or shop show room.

Top Bottom