• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Pineapple Thief / Porcupine Tree USA Canada Tours

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Two great tours happening in Canada and the USA this spring and fall The Pineapple Thief / Porcupine Tree USA Canada Tours. Gavin Harrison is playing in both tours.

I'd love to see Porcupine tree, it is good to see concerts picking back up. I've had tickets to see Roger Waters for two years and it may actually happen in October!

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Iluzun

Got 4 ticks for the show n Denver this morning. Thnx 4 the heads up! Pineapple Thief coming in May, but on a Monday. I’m liking what I’ve heard on Qobuz, so may try to go. Anybody seen both? Comparisons?

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got 4 ticks for the show n Denver this morning. Thnx 4 the heads up! Pineapple Thief coming in May, but on a Monday. I’m liking what I’ve heard on Qobuz, so may try to go. Anybody seen both? Comparisons?
No for me. Both definitely audiophile bands.

Rip City Dave

I have seen both bands live.

The Pineapple Thief show is basic, stripped-down and no nonsense. Just you and the music. They are a tight and disciplined act. The emphasis is clearly on Bruce Soords accomplished vocals. I spent time talking to the sound engineer at both the Portland and Seattle shows. They are quite particular about their sound, but it is often the venue that is the limiting factor. In those situations, a place near the mixing board had the best sound.

Porcupine Tree sound is legendary, as you know. I've never had bad sound in five shows at various halls. The Lasse Hoile media is a dreamy and sophisticated touch that expands the live show. There are definitely more progressive rock elements in Porcupine Tree music as compared to The Pineapple Thief, but both are worthy acts to see.

Iluzun

Rip City Dave, thank you for sharing your insight and experiences. My tix are a bit further back than I’d like but just left of center. Bellco only seats 1600+ so it should be a terrific venue for PT to ‘show its stuff’. Looking forward to some SW ‘ear candy’. (-; Ever been up to Bumbershoot in Seattle for Labor Day? Lived up on Queen Anne during the 90’s and what a great long weekend of music and experiences. Perhaps not the ‘sound quality’ but ‘sound energy’ up close and personal, or not, with tons of great artist and friends. Did some mountaineering/climbing on Mt. Hood, Washington, and such. Really enjoyed my time in the PNW. Loved visiting the Powell bookstore n downtown Portland. Thnx again 4 helping ‘set the stage’..

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The first time I heard Pineapple Thief I went “what what” the bass and drums were so tight and I knew I’d heard the dummer before. Turns out he also plays with King Crimson an the Porcupine Tree. Both of who I love.

Artsfols

Two great tours happening in Canada and the USA this spring and fall The Pineapple Thief / Porcupine Tree USA Canada Tours. Gavin Harrison is playing in both tours.

This is the venue for Porcupine Tree in Toronto in September. My kind of place for a concert, these days. Ridiculously long link.

Last edited:
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I strongly recommend anything with Gavin Harrison on YouTube. His skills are amazing: his play looks so effortless.... Could watch (and of course hear!) him drumming for hours....

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The venue I linked is for Porcupine Tree in Toronto. I corrected the post to indicate which concert is involved.
Ahh ten 4

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to see this...thought I got a presale code but can't find it. How much are tickets at The Greek in LA?

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if you look at the first post the tour links are there.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw Pineapple Thief last night at the Opera House. Gavin Harrison blew my mind. Great show, sound okay, venue okay but had a good feel. Surprise there were women there. Prog-rock shows tend to be sausage fests.

This is a band well worth seeing.

Rip City Dave

I saw Pineapple Thief last night at the Opera House. Gavin Harrison blew my mind. Great show, sound okay, venue okay but had a good feel. Surprise there were women there. Prog-rock shows tend to be sausage fests.

This is a band well worth seeing.
Great that you liked them. I can't wait for the Portland show.

Top Bottom