• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Peripheral on Amazon Video

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Best thing I’ve watched this year, not read the book so no idea of accuracy.
I get annoyed by every William Gibson book I read on first reading. And my reaction is “is that it?” But I usually read the books 2 or three times and enjoy them more every time.
It’s different than the book. Still good. Have to wonder why it is so different though. I feel the screenwriter and all involved didn’t respect Gibson’s writing. I would not have signed off on it if I were Gibson.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

mansr

Major Contributor
I'm not getting those. I have a simple Roku streaming stick though it does 4k HDR which is what Prime Video is sending to me. Might want to check the connection speed on your device.
Same here. Prime video quality is as good as any other service. The UI is atrocious, though. Looks like it's rendered in 480p or something, and all the thumbnail images have horrible JPEG artefacts.

As for The Peripheral, I like it so far. Haven't read the book, so I can't comment on the adaptation.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't mind in general that a movies strays from the book.
"The Peripherals" is so far very, very good. Spoiler alert.
The sets are superb. Acting is good, same for Character and World-building. The characters live, breathe, have a past that explain their behavior. e,g, the brother and his friends are clearly fighters, soldiers that are looking for a reason to fight, a purpose. They can and will fight efficiently. They just need a reason. These people, in their neck of the wood, seem to have experienced a World-altering event and are trying to go on with their lives, toward a not so clear future...Dialog is sublime
Better watch it and ,,,
And yes, it is slow, too.. No slam BAM!!! The hero soars to the sky ;). .
Dare I say it is so far, smart? even elegant?. Will this last, as we progress? There has been series with great promises and great first season such as this one that have puttered: "Westworld" after season 2, "Altered Carbon" after season one ...

We'll see. So far, IMHO, a must-watch.

Peace

dougi

I'm enjoying it very much. I have read the sequel, but not this one. For some reason the Amazon app forces "filmmaker" mode on my Samsung tv with the uhd/HDR content. Netflix app doesn't.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm enjoying Season 1 so far (two more episodes to go). Been awhile since I read the book, but unlike Isaac Asimov and P.K. Dick who had a relatively spare writing style, WG's style is rich with visuals, even camera moves. And he seems to delight in throwing the reader directly into situations without introductions or explanations, at least not right away. Result is that the openings of his works can feel like cacophony, though if you stick with them for awhile, the Who, What and Why become more apparent, and the story becomes easier to follow.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And of course. It seems that it has been cancelled.
I’m utterly disappointed. I hope I am not alone.
Peace

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And of course. It seems that it has been cancelled.
I’m utterly disappointed. I hope I am not alone.
Peace
Yes, I read that the other day. One of the few Amazon shows I really enjoyed. So what happens, they cancel it. Much of what I see Amazon greenlight I shake my head at how anyone could think it worth making. Then they cancel a good show.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I am still bummed about "The Peripheral". It could have been a standout Sci-Fi show... :(. I was expecting so much "reveal"...

A bit off-topic... I have noticed that I get leery once I start liking series from the usual streamer... Once I get hooked ? BAM!! It's cancelled: I was about to start watching Netflix's "1899" and after the first épisode I had the nagging feeling that it wasn't going to last long, I stopped ... Not that I care about soap-operas long series, that last a lifetime, either... Tell the story and go out... Don't make of it a lifelong peering into and gossiping about the ( or a ) neighborhood.. for example something that became good like Apple's "Invasion" which started real dumb but gathered strength, IMO, in the last episodes and became to me a good series... yet, I wouldn't want to watch it for 4 years ... Or "Stranger things to go past 5 years"
Waiting for Amazon to cancel those too: "Outer Range". "Night Sky" .. enough Off topic ! :)

I think the general public is thinking that way.. We'll see... literally :)

Peace.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Waiting for Amazon to cancel those too: "Outer Range". "Night Sky" .. enough Off topic ! :)
There is no need to wait, Night Sky was canceled more than a year ago :) Outer Range though, seems to have bee renewed last year. The Peripheral was also initially renewed so anything can still happen. But I guess they are too far along by now to kill it.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly, that’s all you’ll ever enjoy, because the show is canceled.
And neither have I seen signs of new seasons for "Truth Seekers" or "Reacher", while meanwhile, there seems an awful lot of stuff featuring Jeremy Clarkson, James May and company.

But I imagine that Amazon's fortunes must not seem as boundless today as they might have seemed during the height of the pandemic.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And neither have I seen signs of new seasons for "Truth Seekers" or "Reacher", while meanwhile, there seems an awful lot of stuff featuring Jeremy Clarkson, James May and company.

But I imagine that Amazon's fortunes must not seem as boundless today as they might have seemed during the height of the pandemic.
Reacher has completed season 2 and will be released. I think they finished it just prior to the strikes. Amazon has said it will be out near the end of this year. My guess is probably just after Thanskgiving as they aren't going to have some other stuff available due to the strike.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Yes, I read that the other day. One of the few Amazon shows I really enjoyed. So what happens, they cancel it. Much of what I see Amazon greenlight I shake my head at how anyone could think it worth making. Then they cancel a good show.

The Peripheral is one of my favorite novels - I've read it many times (as with The Sprawl trilogy).
After eagerly awaiting the Amazon series, I stopped watching out of disappointment after episode 4.
Then, picked it up again. Still disappointed.

I'm glad some folks enjoyed it, but I thought it was an awful adaptation.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Peripheral is one of my favorite novels - I've read it many times (as with The Sprawl trilogy).
After eagerly awaiting the Amazon series, I stopped watching out of disappointment after episode 4.
Then, picked it up again. Still disappointed.

I'm glad some folks enjoyed it, but I thought it was an awful adaptation.
I didn't read the novel. Wish I had. Same with Silo. I enjoyed the show, but people said the novel is much better (which they usually are), but I didn't read those. Since they aren't making any more shows, I may very well read the novel for the Peripheral.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
I didn't read the novel. Wish I had. Same with Silo. I enjoyed the show, but people said the novel is much better (which they usually are), but I didn't read those. Since they aren't making any more shows, I may very well read the novel for the Peripheral.
Ultimately the Peripheral on TV was okay. I had to accept that it was loosely based on the book and enjoy it for what it was.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just finished watching Episode 8 (did everyone see the bonus scene which follows the English-language credits?) and what a cliffhanger! But I guess I'll have to re-read the novel for the rest of the story.

Top Bottom