• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Peripheral on Amazon Video

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Watched the 1st episode. Two are available now. One a week after that.

An adaptation of the William Gibson novel. I've read many of his novels, but not this one. My guess is the series on Amazon isn't as good, detailed or satisfying as the book. However, not having known the book the 1st episode seemed pretty good. It at least kept my interest and has good possibilities. Same pair of show runners as Westworld (Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan). I hope it doesn't go off the rails the way season 3 of Westworld did.

They could have used some better vocal coaching as the various accents are not great. Not bad enough to draw me out of the story, but not great. The settings and general atmosphere are well done. 1st two episodes are over an hour long. So not dripping the story out like Disney does.

I won't say much about the specifics. Just that if you like William Gibson, this might be an entertaining series for you to have a look at on Amazon Videos. My initial impression is much better than the Rings of Power.

charleski

Major Contributor
I'll certainly be watching it, though initial reports are that it's a bit dumbed-down compared to the book (unsurprisingly). I tried listening to the audiobook, but found myself getting lost because I wasn't paying enough attention. Unfortunately I haven't got round to reading it yet.

Tatr76

Slightly generic tropes so far but enjoyed enough and will give it time to become a bit more gritty and thought provoking. Will be hard as now accustomed to ideas writers like William Gibson put out there about the future direction of society, tech and Internet. Production value nice. Fingers crossed as love me some sci-fi, especially dystopian.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Best thing I’ve watched this year, not read the book so no idea of accuracy.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like it a lot as well. Yes, one could argue that Gibson rehashed his 1984 magic recipe and updated it, with added layers of complexity that would have lost the 1984 audience. Still a very good start indeed.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The 2nd episode built upon the first and was a bit better now that I've had time to watch it. So encouraging thus far. Just have to wait until next Friday again for episode 3.

Tatr76

I like binge watching but having to wait does give some contemplation time to think about show and look forward to what's going to come. Sometimes watch whole seasons quickly and all just mushes into blur and I miss out on nuances. Eagerly awaiting ep 3

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Watching the 2nd episode now. Like it so far! What I don’t like if the horrible compression artifacts that I seem to get on Prima Video :facepalm: It can be really distracting.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Episode 1 got me very interested. Don't remember if I've read the book, read plenty of his but this doesn't seem familiar.

It's not Blue Ant is it?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Watched the first two when it came out, the third this morning. Like it a lot so far.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Watching the 2nd episode now. Like it so far! What I don’t like if the horrible compression artifacts that I seem to get on Prima Video :facepalm: It can be really distracting.
I'm not getting those. I have a simple Roku streaming stick though it does 4k HDR which is what Prime Video is sending to me. Might want to check the connection speed on your device.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not getting those. I have a simple Roku streaming stick though it does 4k HDR which is what Prime Video is sending to me. Might want to check the connection speed on your device.
Netflix, HBO and Disney are all fine. Amazon is clearly the worst. I have 700 Mbps, should be plenty.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Netflix, HBO and Disney are all fine. Amazon is clearly the worst. I have 700 Mbps, should be plenty.
FWIW I get poor performance from Amazon Prime in other respects compared to other streaming services....lots of stuttering and sync problems....and I'm using Amazon Fire Sticks :)

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that should be plenty. I have a 240 mbps connection. The Roku is in the far corner of my house from the router so over wifi it usually tests out around 45-60 mbps. If I fast forward or skip back Amazon is slower and clunkier to respond vs Netflix or HBO services, but for just watching it is fine.

I'm also getting internet from way up the street because they have fiber and it is not supplied to my house. I set up my own wireless link to share the internet. Amazon still works without artifacts even over the extra steps to my house.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Netflix is fine with my meager 30 Mb/s ... Disney works OK but buffers often.. Amazon is the worst for me ...

I like "The Peripherals" a lot ...
There are some good Sci-Fi on streaming these days..

Tatr76

Watched 3rd episode. Thumbs up from me still. Characters a little tropey but carry it off, definitely wouldn't want to get the attention of Cherise Nuland :)

Tatr76

Netflix is fine with my meager 30 Mb/s ... Disney works OK but buffers often.. Amazon is the worst for me ...

I like "The Peripherals" a lot ...
There are some good Sci-Fi on streaming these days..
Any suggestions?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any suggestions?
In not particular order ,excpet that
The Expanse, is my favorite.
Andor
The Peripherals
Westworld , seasons 1 and 2 .. it goes down from there IMO
Altered Carbon , season 1 but 2 is a let down...
Counterpart ... underrated and somewhat unknown.
Oats Studios Vol. 1
Severance
Love, Death + Robots
For All Mankind
Outer Range
Stranger Things
Paper Girls

There are others I may have forgotten...

Top Bottom