• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The one person speaker

Nightlord

But seriously: How many of you are doing your critical listening in the company of others?

Nowadays, that's close to the only time I do critical listening. The rest of the time I listen to music. (And I don't mean it in an offensive way, ok? That's just how I feel when I consider that question. I used to do a lot of that other kind of listening back in time on my own, but I don't anymore.)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nowadays, that's close to the only time I do critical listening. The rest of the time I listen to music. (And I don't mean it in an offensive way, ok? That's just how I feel when I consider that question. I used to do a lot of that other kind of listening back in time on my own, but I don't anymore.)
Agreed, In my later years I now have to have a reason to listen critically to my system, dissecting all those minor details just isn't fun any more, nor is it as important as it once was. Only when for some reason I'm trying to make a decision on speaker/room setup, DRC, etc; do I put my audiophile hat on. Otherwise if the system sounds as good as yesterday and isn't suddenly revealing a problem, I just prefer to sit back and enjoy the music, warts and all. ;)

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good points :)
I can clarify what I meant with "critical listening": not necessarily analytical listening, i.e. listening to the system, but rather focused listening to the music - more than just having it on in the background.

As for me, I mostly do that alone. But that might be because I listen to a lot of music my girlfriend views as either boring (classical) or noisy/disturbing (avant-garde jazz, electronica, etc).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I expected better. However, this particular one seems a little creepy to me.

Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha! :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha ha ha ha ha ha! :D

A few friends and I planned a week where we rented a large beach house in Florida a few years back. One of the guys had his then 17 year old son with him. Next house over there were a couple of girls looked to be 20 years old. Obviously lesbians. Stayed wrapped around each other most of the time. One girl looked alright, but one was the most gorgeous gal on the beach I saw all week. Several guys would stroll by and see this girl in some hot swimsuits out by the water and try to talk her up. The other gal clearly did not like it and would intervene with a nasty disposition. My pal's son kept talking about her and looking at her. We encouraged him to go talk to her. He said he wasn't so sure that other gal wouldn't kick his ass if he tried. Well we couldn't let him off the hook with that.

So I told him I had noticed every so often the protector gal would go in and mix up some new drinks. Took her a few minutes to do that. He had a body board of mine riding it in the waves. I told him to think up something to tell her. When that other gal went inside come up and find a reason to talk to her. I would mosey over and tie up the protective gal in some stupid conversation if she hurried back outside. Oh he talked the big talk then. He knew stuff to tell her and once he had her she wouldn't even want women anymore.

Finally time for some more drinks and he got his opening. He slid up on the beach close to her and walked over. I reckon he intended to ask her if she knew how to ride a bodyboard and would she like to learn he could show her it was fun or something along those lines. Instead here is what came out: "hey there, how would you like to be waterboarded?". I wasn't all that close, but heard him. I was trying mightily to contain laughter. I am not sure if she said anything. She stared at him a minute, then got her beach towel, wrapped it around her, and stalked back inside. Needless to say we didn't let him forget how suave his pickup line was. We called him Ricke' Suave' the next couple days.

Last edited:

Ronm1

He is ready for the Bomd role!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I expected better. However, this particular one seems a little creepy to me.

Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Ah, be careful @Sal1950 the chloroform rag is a art form. It's Oh so very easy to over do things, then you better have a shovel and know some place real quite like...

Very much a case of Practice makes perfect :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ah, be careful @Sal1950 the chloroform rag is a art form. It's Oh so very easy to over do things, then you better have a shovel and know some place real quite like...

You have to understand the modus operandi,
Always dig the hole first!
Keep a hole dug in some quiet, secluded place just in case of need.

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A few friends and I planned a week where we rented a large beach house in Florida a few years back. One of the guys had his then 17 year old son with him. Next house over there were a couple of girls looked to be 20 years old. Obviously lesbians. Stayed wrapped around each other most of the time. One girl looked alright, but one was the most gorgeous gal on the beach I saw all week. Several guys would stroll by and see this girl in some hot swimsuits out by the water and try to talk her up. The other gal clearly did not like it and would intervene with a nasty disposition. My pal's son kept talking about her and looking at her. We encouraged him to go talk to her. He said he wasn't so sure that other gal wouldn't kick his ass if he tried. Well we couldn't let him off the hook with that.

So I told him I had noticed every so often the protector gal would go in and mix up some new drinks. Took her a few minutes to do that. He had a body board of mine riding it in the waves. I told him to think up something to tell her. When that other gal went inside come up and find a reason to talk to her. I would mosey over and tie up the protective gal in some stupid conversation if she hurried back outside. Oh he talked the big talk then. He knew stuff to tell her and once he had her she wouldn't even want women anymore.

Finally time for some more drinks and he got his opening. He slid up on the beach close to her and walked over. I reckon he intended to ask her if she knew how to ride a bodyboard and would she like to learn he could show her it was fun or something along those lines. Instead here is what came out: "hey there, how would you like to be waterboarded?". I wasn't all that close, but heard him. I was trying mightily to contain laughter. I am not sure if she said anything. She stared at him a minute, then got her beach towel, wrapped it around her, and stalked back inside. Needless to say we didn't let him forget how suave his pickup line was. We called him Ricke' Suave' the next couple days.

Jeez, that's classic! :cool:

Top Bottom