• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Newer Sennheiser HD650

Southall-1998

So yes, I'm talking about the 'Romanian' production 650s.

Do they sound identical to the older Ireland Production 650s?

If someone on here has done the comparison, please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

S.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
According to Sonarworks (who has been and is continuing to measure them over the years)... yes.
(don't look at posts other than those rom the OP in that link)

Not all HD650's have been created equal over the years.

There is so many nonsense around it is unbelievable. Only those that measure a bunch on the exact same rig over many years will know.
The rest is assumptions, 'personal experiences' and people comparing plots from different test rigs.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The black and white(silver) screen swap was many years ago. The biggest differences did not come from the screen but the pads.
The tonal balance/tuning did change over the years from a bit darker to a bit clearer.
There are far greater differences between older and newer pads and fresh ans worn pads than between the drivers

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From what I've read (can't find the link), the headphone structure (made primarily of plastic) is manufactured in Romania, but as for the other parts, they're just sent to Romania for assembly. The drivers are not manufactured in Romania, they're still the exact same drivers. So yes, it's basically the same headphone. Same thing for the HD600.

jeffbook

Looks like this guy is either broadcasting from his dorm room or from a low security Federal Detention facility. Nice of him to parrot what he hears from unnamed others so that he can help spread undocumented (by him or his compatriots) BS.:confused::facepalm::facepalm:

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But... but... but... @frogmeat69 ! :oops:

2021.02.02 - 18.11.50.png
1925.jpg

Jimmy

A good article that summarizes the evolution of the series, originally published by Innerfidelity, now Stereophile is this one :

https://www.stereophile.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-2

From my experience, as has been said here, pads, fresh or worn, original or 3rd party, make the most difference in sound. However, maybe it's just nostalgia, I prefer the old HD600's marble paint look (although it chips quite easily), to the new one.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Sennheiser laid off nearly 2/3 of their employees at the Ireland factory in 2018. So maybe that's when they switched to Romania. I'm glad I have the Irish assembled HD650.

Last edited:
Top Bottom