• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The New Sennheiser HD600 vs the Old Sennheiser HD600?

3125b

Major Contributor
I have a question too for people with an HD 600 (of any age) reading this:
Since unfortunately the serial number of mine is missing, I would like to know if someone can tell me anything about the age.
My blue-black HD 600 has the black *screen* around the driver, I hear that was changed in 2007 to white?
Also, the documentation says at the bottom of the last page "Printed in Ireland 10/96" resp. "07/98".
Does your HD 600 have a date at least somewhat close to when it was bought on there?

Thanks.

Edit: I already asked Sennheiser, if I get an answer I will post it here in case anyone else is interested.

Last edited:
OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question too for people with an HD 600 (of any age) reading this:
Since unfortunately the serial number of mine is missing, I would like to know if someone can tell me anything about the age.
My blue-black HD 600 has the black netting around the driver, I hear that was changed in 2007 to white?
Also, the documentation says at the bottom of the last page "Printed in Ireland 10/96" resp. "07/98".
Does your HD 600 have a date at least somewhat close to when it was bought on there?

Thanks.

Edit: I already asked Sennheiser, if I get an answer I will post it here in case anyone else is interested.
I had a quick look, but couldn't find my box & documentation it came in. I've got an HD600 I bought last year, I don't remember hearing anything about "netting", but I do remember hearing about silver drivers, I think mine are silver. Here is some info, but don't know if that's what you're referring to:
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/wtb-hd600-w-black-screen-drivers.9733/

3125b

Major Contributor
Thanks, I meant that screen. As far as I can tell from that, mine is actually an early 600 since it has that gold ring in the middle of the driver:
From the link: sennheiser-min.jpg
My HD 600: IMG20210315194839_00.jpg

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

3125b

Major Contributor
What you gonna do with that info now that you know?
Nothing, I was just interested as somewhat of a collector. I bought it used from a guy who didn't seem to have any idea of headphones (and was either a Mafia accountant or had an Eastern European wife, hard to tell, really). It's just that it doesn't look 20+ years old at all, if you told me it was made last year I would belief that - exept for the ruined headband pad maybe, but that foam is collapsed on every used HD 6X0 and the fact that they unfortunately changed the classic 90s design in 2019.

Thanks for sending a K702 to Oratory btw.
I always asumed he lived in the US for some reason, but apparently he lives in Austria. Who knew ... many people probably :)

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing, I was just interested as somewhat of a collector. I bought it used from a guy who didn't seem to have any idea of headphones (and was either a Mafia accountant or had an Eastern European wife, hard to tell, really). It's just that it doesn't look 20+ years old at all, if you told me it was made last year I would belief that - exept for the ruined headband pad maybe, but that foam is collapsed on every used HD 6X0 and the fact that they unfortunately changed the classic 90s design in 2019.

Thanks for sending a K702 to Oratory btw.
I always asumed he lived in the US for some reason, but apparently he lives in Austria. Who knew ... many people probably :)
No problem, I'm quite excited that it's gonna be my specific K702 that he's gonna be measuring! Once he's published the results I'll probably just start a new thread informing everybody, as I believe quite a few people have this headphone, and it could be used to discuss EQ's for the K702.

simplywyn

My HD600 has been around for 13 years, is it time to upgrade? I keep hearing that HD600 are still the best, and that 660s isn't much better. Any opinions as to what I should upgrade to?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What do you want to 'improve' on, in other words what are you missing in the HD600 ?

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My HD600 has been around for 13 years, is it time to upgrade? I keep hearing that HD600 are still the best, and that 660s isn't much better. Any opinions as to what I should upgrade to?
Well the HD600 lacks a big soundstage, so that's why I prefer my K702, which I'd recommend.....but I think HD600 has everything else perfect apart from soundstage and also the bass doesn't respond that great to EQ (distortion). As for soundstage in headphones, I've never heard a better headphone than the K702, although HD800s is lauded to be the best for soundstage (which I've not listened to)....I'd be surprised if there are other headphones that surpass the soundstage of the K702 & HD800s. I think HD600 are perfect in all other aspects though.

(My recommendations are based on if you EQ your headphone.........if I didn't EQ my headphone then HD600 would be the best headphone I have).

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Extension? I mean this can't be the end all of headphones

It isn't with 100% certainty but it still is for a steady fan base.
You can extend the headphone using EQ. It responds well to EQ in the lows.

There are many, many options for headphones that do certain things 'better' in lower and ofcourse MUCH higher price classes.
The issue is that despite the well meant recommendations one is about to get what works or is important for someone else may not be important or an improvement for you. What's an improvement for someone else may not be an improvement for you.
There are plenty of people reverting back to or just now buying a HD600 for the things they do right.

I would advise you to read up on recommendations and try to audition (or buy with the right to return) and select a headphone that does what you want. But first... experiment with some EQ. That could save you a ton of money.

3125b

Major Contributor
(My recommendations are based on if you EQ your headphone.........if I didn't EQ my headphone then HD600 would be the best headphone I have).
That hits the nail on the head I think.
The HD 600 does many things right: Very good factory tuning, long lasting and very serviceable, good technical abilities, good comfort and fairly easy to drive.
That makes it kind of boring to enthusiasts, but good for people who just want a nice headphone to listen to music (and not thier gear) with :)

It's not perfect in every aspect of course and you might argue that it is kind of pricy for its look and feel. For me the imaging works well, although other headphone definitely have a wider sound stage.
You can add some bass via EQ, I wouldn't do more than 6dB for any open headphone though.
Anyway, if you want better bass extension, the 660S is definitely the wrong way to go. Have a look at some closed-backs maybe.

simplywyn

It isn't with 100% certainty but it still is for a steady fan base.
You can extend the headphone using EQ. It responds well to EQ in the lows.

There are many, many options for headphones that do certain things 'better' in lower and ofcourse MUCH higher price classes.
The issue is that despite the well meant recommendations one is about to get what works or is important for someone else may not be important or an improvement for you. What's an improvement for someone else may not be an improvement for you.
There are plenty of people reverting back to or just now buying a HD600 for the things they do right.

I would advise you to read up on recommendations and try to audition (or buy with the right to return) and select a headphone that does what you want. But first... experiment with some EQ. That could save you a ton of money.

How much more expensive? I got my HD600 for $200, and now have over $600 worth of headphone dacs and amps, so my headphones are cheap, willing to spend like $1200 on headphones alone

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How much more expensive? I got my HD600 for $200, and now have over $600 worth of headphone dacs and amps, so my headphones are cheap, willing to spend like $1200 on headphones alone
I don't think price is particularly influential in sound quality, and research backs that up. If I were you I'd just focus on measurements....smooth frequency responses, deep bass extension or ability to EQ up the bass without distortion creeping up (so looking at distortion measurements). I'd correlate that former stuff with reports on "soundstage" of the headphone to get a picture of how the whole headphone would be. I'd choose on that basis and only consider headphones up to your max personal allowable limit. I'd also determine size dimensions of the headphone earcups to make sure your ears can fit inside, and read up on any notes people make re fitting/(comfort) issues. I'd lump that all together and audition some headphones from that shortlist, but don't let price be your guide at any point, just use price for setting a maximum acceptable limit, but otherwise forget about that until you are auditioning your shortlist of headphones, as I suppose at that point you would weigh in price into the equation....because all things being equal if you find two headphones are just as preferable as the other, then I guess you'd choose the cheapest of the two headphones. That has been my approach for almost all of my headphone purchases, combined with the fact that I wanted some "best" examples of most of the different types of over ear headphone: closed back / open back / planar / dynamic.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Ananda, Arya, HD800S, DCA, Focal Clear are all headphones that do some things better than HD600.
They don't do it 5x better but somewhat better yes.

Can't say if you will like any of them better though. That's the problem with recommendations. They might not work for you yet others may find one or more of those the next best thing to sliced bread.

Blank Verse

Ananda, Arya, HD800S, DCA, Focal Clear are all headphones that do some things better than HD600.
They don't do it 5x better but somewhat better yes.

Can't say if you will like any of them better though. That's the problem with recommendations. They might not work for you yet others may find one or more of those the next best thing to sliced bread.
Many folks claim the old HD540 Reference (whichever variant, but particularly the HD540 Reference Gold and HD540 Reference II) are a more balanced and transparent headphone than the HD600, and even some claim it is more balanced and almost as detailed as an HD800.

From what I have read they say the HD540 lacks the midbass boost of the HD600, and they also claim the trebble is much more transparent and articulate on the HD540.

Just wondering if you (or anyone else) has heard the 540.

Blank Verse

I don't think price is particularly influential in sound quality, and research backs that up. If I were you I'd just focus on measurements....smooth frequency responses, deep bass extension or ability to EQ up the bass without distortion creeping up (so looking at distortion measurements). I'd correlate that former stuff with reports on "soundstage" of the headphone to get a picture of how the whole headphone would be. I'd choose on that basis and only consider headphones up to your max personal allowable limit. I'd also determine size dimensions of the headphone earcups to make sure your ears can fit inside, and read up on any notes people make re fitting/(comfort) issues. I'd lump that all together and audition some headphones from that shortlist, but don't let price be your guide at any point, just use price for setting a maximum acceptable limit, but otherwise forget about that until you are auditioning your shortlist of headphones, as I suppose at that point you would weigh in price into the equation....because all things being equal if you find two headphones are just as preferable as the other, then I guess you'd choose the cheapest of the two headphones. That has been my approach for almost all of my headphone purchases, combined with the fact that I wanted some "best" examples of most of the different types of over ear headphone: closed back / open back / planar / dynamic.
The Beats Pro costs $400. :facepalm:

Blank Verse

Potential sonic differences aside (which it seems there aren't any), I just wanted to give my point of view about the design/build quality/packaging of othe old vs the new HD600.

Over 15 years ago I was active in a sample music production forum that went by the name Northern Sounds. Some of the most respected composers in that forum (one of whom I know is working in Hollywood now) talked several times of the HD600 as the best headphone to get a natural presentation of orchestral music, so naturally I made up my mind that I wanted to get one.

But when I went to American Musical Supply (or was it Amazon?) I remember I was disappointed by the strange appearance of the HD600. The marbled plastic finish seemed cheesy to my former self. So after doing some research, and concluding that the HD580 perhaps would get me 99% of the way with a more modern look, I bought it instead of the HD600.

Forward almost 20 years, and even though I have never owned an HD600 its looks have grown on me to the point I came to regard them as an original, and (in a way) classy design. Perhaps because of the stature of the headphone in audiophile circles, or perhaps because upon rejecting it for the alternative (HD580) many years ago I sowed the seed of obsession in my unconscious mind, I came to lust for the HD600. But when I went to order one, I saw they had changed the design (a design which I would have accepted without hesitation 20 years ago, but which now seems much inferior to the original). The irony of fate, I suppose.

And as far as the packaging goes, there is no comparison. The hard box with foam padding that the original HD600 was offered in is such a superior presentation to the disposable cardboard box they ship them in nowadays.

Recently I was perusing the Amazon reviews and a guy claimed that he had both the old and the new HD600 in hand, and the new one seemed to have an inferior construction. He even recommended against bending the earband because the plastic paint seemed to suffer in the process.

simplywyn

I have a HD600 and a hifiman 400i, lots of people say 400i is better than HD600... I would say it's only 6/10. Any opinions on what I'm hearing?

Top Bottom