• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The new global wave of ethnic music

TheM

"Support each other, borrow from each other...Giving and receiving from each other...Respect each other..." What they both said in this video is the UNIVERSal message which most people on this beautiful Earth do not want to receive.

Edit: Not most people, I do not want to sound pessimistic, maybe is better to wrote: enough people.

Last edited:

Koepp Rippin

National music is increasingly developing today, because it retains its national identity. to have the tunes of ethnic songs as suonerie gratis for your phone. We have ethnic tunes, everyone has references and experiences because it's free.

Last edited:
OP
L

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... took a while but here's the hardcore-etnic scandinavian stuff

Most people associate this with the viking culture but apparently it's even older, pre-viking scandinavian sound. And btw, the comment sections for some of those videos are quite out of the ordinary, e.g. the toprated comment on youtube for the video above
"Bookjunkie xx months ago
You know what's wrong with today's society?
No one drinks out of the skulls of their enemies anymore..."

... a wiking sound band

... a sort of who-s-who in scandinavian ethnic voices, plying in a beautiful nordic setup

... and another scandinavian chant in a perfect nature setup

Katji

Major Contributor
EDIT: thanks to @Aldoszx for pointing that parts of Thracia were missing from my list so
...a sample of beautiful Serbian/Ilyrian voices
Some of the best voices. Like Divna Ljubojevic.

I was doing HD backups yesterday, and looking through old photos and videos, and I wanted to find a thread for this one, and this thread "erhnic music" seems most suitable.

Vidovdan song of Serbia
Played live in orthodox monastery Banjska, Kosovo, Serbia.

"These verses testify to the existence of faith, hope and joy even in slavery. The words of this song are as true today as they were once."

U nebo gledam prolaze vekovi,
Sećanja davnih jedini lekovi.

Chorus:
Kud god da krenem Tebi se vraćam ponovo.
Ko da mi otme iz moje duše Kosovo

Vidovdan

K'o večni plamen u našim srcima
Kosovskog boja Ostaje istina.

Chorus

Vidovdan

Oprosti Bože sve naše grehove
Junaštvom daruj kćeri i sinove.

Chorus

I'm looking at the sky, centuries are passing by,
Thinking of the past, the only remedy.

Chorus:
Wherever I may go, I will always return.
Nobody can tear Kosovo away from my soul

Vidovdan

Like an eternal flame burning in our hearts
The battle remains the truth.

Chorus

Vidovdan

Lord, forgive us of all of our sins.
Give the courage to our daughters and sons.

Chorus

Last edited:

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What a neat thread.
I was at that 1996? Radio City show (the first w/o Michael Flatley) - and am somewhere in audience in the BR/DVD recording (just behind the mixing console) as well.
(We also saw Rent, Bring in Da Noise, and Stomp! that weekend!)
The audience response was astounding, as mentioned (and I thought Janis Joplin got a crowd crazy! But nothing compared to RiverDance then!)
And I agree, it sparked a revival of interesting in 'traditional' (but modernist) music and dance forms.
All of these clips are fascinating (I wonder a bit about the drinking blood from enemies skulls stuff, tho:)
And another contribution:
(And check out her Folksange CD too.)

Top Bottom