• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Mystery of 165 Hz -- A story of REW Filters

Tomino

Forum Donor
I am an ignorant newcomer to room EQ. A while back, I bought a measurement mic, took pink noise measurements in REW, created filters, and loaded them into Roon. It helped clean up the bass and improved the sound, if not dramatically, of a system that already sounds pretty good to me. I kept the filters in place for several weeks and enjoyed them.

Then, a few days ago, I was playing the third movement of the Koussevitzky bass concerto, as one does. (Sztankov/Budapest Symphony). At about 1:30 into the track, I experienced some an odd and unexpected resonance in my Joseph Audio RM20 speaker, the left one. It was very noticeable and caused me to think it could not be good for the speaker. I have never had this resonance previously. I scaled back the filter, and the problem went away.

However, here is the mystery. I figured out that the offensive note was the E below middle C, or about 165 Hz. When I look at the unfiltered frequency response for that speaker, I figured I would see a dip there. My theory was that the filter was overcorrecting at a resonance frequency for the cabinet, causing the problem. But there was no dip. Do the learned readers of this post have an alternative theory? I am also curious whether commercial correction software, like Audiolense, could be expected to evade the same problem.

OP
Tomino

Tomino

Forum Donor
1610328672457.png

Left is in blue.

OP
Tomino

Tomino

Forum Donor
1610329022936.png

Left is in red.
Uebrigens, wer hat gesagt dass ohne Musik das Leben ein Irrtum waere?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Can't really explain what is happening given the graphs. There is a suckout at 90hz, so maybe if that is compensated I could imagine harmonics affecting 180hz, but 165hz is strange. I would swap the left and right speakers for now to check if it's a general problem with the filter (problem stays left) or with the box (problem should move to the right).

e: Also. There a several tone generators online, for example this one https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ Could make for easier recreation of the problem and allow you to pin the frequency down more precisely.

OP
Tomino

Tomino

Forum Donor
I experienced some an odd and unexpected resonance in my Joseph Audio RM20 speaker

Lo these many months later, the mystery is solved. The subject speaker had a bad spider in the woofer (not an arachnid; it goes around the voice coil and doesn't look anything like a spider, so go figure) which was causing resonance. Once the woofer was replaced, the problem went away.

Top Bottom