• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

josiah

Underrated: Philips X2HR
Overrated: Sennheiser HD 58X
Note: I tried the latest revisions (which are not the same as the original 58X) and they were highly disappointing.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Underrated: Philips X2HR
Overrated: Sennheiser HD 58X
Note: I tried the latest revisions (which are not the same as the original 58X) and they were highly disappointing.
x2 is sibilant at 10k, 58x is very nice and smooth.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I had Etymotic MC5 once but 1) Comfort was not there 2) very long shell awkward to use, worse if you lie on one side 3) they literally fell apart 4) anemic sound

Has anything improved?
Er4 and mc5 aren't same model. er4sr sounds 100 times better than Andromeda btw. Andromeda has really weird midrange.

THW

Forum Donor
Overrated HD800 - without eq it is almost bad

Tried it before, compared to the HD 600 it is unacceptably bright, it is especially bad for certain instruments and brings about this certain annoying glare to the sound

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had Etymotic MC5 once but 1) Comfort was not there 2) very long shell awkward to use, worse if you lie on one side 3) they literally fell apart 4) anemic sound

Has anything improved?

Comfort of Etymotic IEMs is a very personal thing, even more so than for other headphones. I really feel comfortable with the deep fit but I do realise that this type of IEM is not for everyone. Something I would say is it is worth giving it a week or two if you can as it might feel very intrusive and uncomfortable initially but feel better as you get accustomed.
On quality I haven't had my ER4SRs long enough to offer an opinion but so far they are holding up well to the rough and tumble of commuting and flying.
On sound I rate the ER4SR very highly. It is neutral and flat, without the boosted bass or treble of typical headphones,many say this makes them boring but others (like me) find them compelling and much more accurate than most alternatives.

Purpletrees

On sound I rate the ER4SR very highly. It is neutral and flat, without the boosted bass or treble of typical headphones,many say this makes them boring but others (like me) find them compelling and much more accurate than most alternatives.

Coming from V/U shaped IEM's, i wish i got the ER4SR or before 2016 a ER4S much sooner since it a fantastic neutral/accurate headphone. Never understood why anemic is always used to describe them when i find it a farce. How +6db is the standard and anything under it is bass light?, I never liked the PT, XR bass levels that clouded everything. For metal, Ambient, experimental, industrial & gothic music bassy stuff just hide micro details in the mid range and treble clarity.

Also its pretty sad that the HD800 is $1200 yet has deal breaking issues that get mostly ignored like with every TOTL headphone. Not to mention that with EQ a mid tier priced can either match or beat it, So i have no idea why manufacturers hype multi driver IEM's when the ER4S can handle 6db bass boost and the W40/SE535 can sound like there TOTL versions with good EQ tweaks.

milezone

Forum Donor
Picked up a pair of Airpods upon reading the couple positive reviews in this thread. I had owned an original pair a while back no recollection of my impression of them and I'm not certain I even tried them out. In any case they are fantastic headphones. I'm by no means an Apple fan boy and as odd as it seems to admit it, I'd say they're outstanding and competitive with headphones at any price. They loose it a bit with the volume up all the way but at practical listening levels, they're very composed and well balanced. Also presumably feature a very light diaphragm and as a result are very adept at reproducing very subtle detail.

thomasjast

Picked up a pair of Airpods upon reading the couple positive reviews in this thread. I had owned an original pair a while back no recollection of my impression of them and I'm not certain I even tried them out. In any case they are fantastic headphones. I'm by no means an Apple fan boy and as odd as it seems to admit it, I'd say they're outstanding and competitive with headphones at any price. They loose it a bit with the volume up all the way but at practical listening levels, they're very composed and well balanced. Also presumably feature a very light diaphragm and as a result are very adept at reproducing very subtle detail.

I like mine as well. The midrange is wonderful so it’s perfect for vocals, podcasts and phone calls. Highly underrated item.

riker1384

Are the Airpods significantly better than the Earpods? They look like they're the same headphone housing, so it's likely they might have the same drivers, but with the Airpods being an active design it's possible they could put in some EQ to improve the sound.

Personally I can't justify the cost of the things just to avoid a wire. They're $160, with a non replaceable battery that wears out in something like 2 years. The long term cost of ownership is higher than even my HD650's.

Last edited:

Damian

Are the Airpods significantly better than the Earpods? They look like they're the same headphone housing, so it's likely they might have the same drivers, but with the Airpods being an active design it's possible they could put in some EQ to improve the sound.

Personally I can't justify the cost of the things just to avoid a wire. They're $160, with a non replaceable battery that wears out in something like 2 years. The long term cost of ownership is higher than even my HD650's.

They are the same.

Damian

Coming from V/U shaped IEM's, i wish i got the ER4SR or before 2016 a ER4S much sooner since it a fantastic neutral/accurate headphone. Never understood why anemic is always used to describe them when i find it a farce. How +6db is the standard and anything under it is bass light?, I never liked the PT, XR bass levels that clouded everything. For metal, Ambient, experimental, industrial & gothic music bassy stuff just hide micro details in the mid range and treble clarity.

Also its pretty sad that the HD800 is $1200 yet has deal breaking issues that get mostly ignored like with every TOTL headphone. Not to mention that with EQ a mid tier priced can either match or beat it, So i have no idea why manufacturers hype multi driver IEM's when the ER4S can handle 6db bass boost and the W40/SE535 can sound like there TOTL versions with good EQ tweaks.

What mid-tier can match the HD800 soundstage and definition? I have the SE535 and it is no match for my CA Andromedas, the SE535 is utterly warm and mid boosted. I haven't EQ it thought... might play around with it today and report back. They are very comfy though.

Purpletrees

What mid-tier can match the HD800 soundstage and definition? I have the SE535 and it is no match for my CA Andromedas, the SE535 is utterly warm and mid boosted. I haven't EQ it thought... might play around with it today and report back. They are very comfy though.

The AKG 700 line up I've heard has HD800 qualities like wide soundstage. As for the SE535 i got that info from a Head fi thread, Were he did EQ tweaks that made them open up especially the W40 which is pretty coloured.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-...s-for-shure-se535-westone-3-westone-4.546077/

Oukkidoukki

Everytime I upgrade dac or headamp Beyers dt 770 gets better and better. I try to like akg 702 or senheiser hd-25, but no.....ofcourse these are cheap low end stuff but anyhow dt 770 keeps suprising...

milezone

Forum Donor
According to every review I've read, the Airpods are different than the Earpods in terms of sound quality, some claiming a significant difference, which I presume is the case. So seemingly no -- not the same. I definitely share your sentiment riker, with regards to the battery wearing out -- especially if it's after just two years. I try to avoid battery powered devices, especially with permanent batteries for that and other environmental reasons. That said, from a sound quality perspective, worth every penny in my experience.

Last edited:

Damian

docentore

Overrated - HD800 - too bright
Underrated - JVC HA-S500 - small portable foldable headphones punching way beyond its 30$ pricetag.

Anmol

Forum Donor
Grado 325- over rated- While headphone does have a fun value associated with it but sheer discomfort of headphone combined with Sibilance and balance issues and not to mention sound leakage- at US$300 there are better options available.

HD 650 - over rated- I know some will find this a bit crazy- there is just too much sugar in this headphone and alters sound in ways which may be pleasant for some but ultimately at US$500 I would expect a little more clarity and visibility into music. I bought mine earlier in this journey and sold it in less than 1 year.

Under rated
HD 202-II - costed US$18 and is unbelievable sound and reliability at this ridiculous price point. My 14 year old listens through it and headphone has survived her beatings for last one year.
Hifiman Sundara - special at U$350- competes with top notch headphones - has a great fun value to it. listen through decent dac and amp a must and it really begins to stand out.
Beyerdynamic T50P- I dont know what witchcraft is employed in making this headphone. a samsung s7 and a tidal app and this headphone can really shine. no custom dac or amp required. beautiful sound on the go- comes with a very competent built in mic . . highly recommended.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Only my opinion/experience:

Overrated: Audeze LCD-4

Underrated: Focal Elex (basically Elear with Clear's perforated earpads).

audiophool

Audeze LCD-4

Focal Utopia

Focal Elex

These are all hyped to the moon on headphone forums. But they just sound like headphones. Music sounds much more accurate and immersive to me on $200 speakers.

Top Bottom