• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

milezone

Forum Donor
Overrated: Sennheiser HE1, AKG K1000, AKG K701 and later variations, Audeze anything
Underrated: Stax 007, Stax SR3 (1971 and onwards) still better than any contemporary dynamic/planar magnetic headphone. Etymotic ER4S, Beyer Dynamic DT48, Sony MDR7520, AKG K501, Sennheiser HD600

OP
Y

yuki980e

The ER4S gives Estats/planar a challenge and still blows a lot of Dynamic stuff out of the water.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ER4S gives Estats/planar a challenge and still blows a lot of Dynamic stuff out of the water.

Unfortunately, I never found a way for the Etymotic to fit my ears to get good sound. So I think in-ears may not be for everyone.

THW

Forum Donor
Unfortunately, I never found a way for the Etymotic to fit my ears to get good sound. So I think in-ears may not be for everyone.

the main reason why I avoid in ears is because of how particular they are regarding fit, it seems Etymotics with their really deep insert is especially prone to this. I also don’t enjoy sticking things into my ear so...

so... over ears and HD 600 for me it is, lol

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I think the HD600 gets rated appropriately. The whole HD6?? series gets a lot of love in the headphone community, and some like Tyll from Innerfidelity consider the HD600 the best of that series. I personally find it a little too shouty in the upper mids, which makes it oddly fatiguing for me despite the generally well balanced signature.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Audio Technica ATH MSR7 is an excellent headphone and is not unduly expensive, it offers terrific value for money.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Overrated: Sennheiser HE1, AKG K1000, AKG K701 and later variations, Audeze anything

The only Audeze I have heard is the iSine10, but with their "Cipher" EQ module I liked them enough to buy them, and later add the newer Cipher wired and Bluetooth amps. I mostly use them with BT when walking or taking phone calls at home. Without Cipher it was terrible.

My list, though I have not heard as many headphone as other here:

Overrated:
-Denon AH-D2000 and Denon/Fostex siblings. Dark and murky. My wife took them to her office I have never had the urge to ask her to return them.

Underrated:
-Sennheiser HD580. I don't think they sound that much different from HD600 or HD650. I keep HD650 in my office, but do not feel the urge to upgrade the long-serving HD580 at home. I rarely use headphones at home, but still.
-Apple In-Ear Headphones (dual-armature IEM). I cannot think of a complaint about their sound quality. They get no love because they "only" cost $80 and Apple isn't an "audiophile" brand. I would use them more in 2019 if they were offered with a built-in Lightning cable DAC or an AirPod chip.

syn08

My biggest disappointment (from a price/quality perspective) were the much praised (by audiophiles) STAX SR-009. And the best I've heard were Beyerdynamic T5P.

My subjective opinion, FWIW.

OP
Y

yuki980e

My biggest disappointment (from a price/quality perspective) were the much praised (by audiophiles) STAX SR-009. And the best I've heard were Beyerdynamic T5P.

My subjective opinion, FWIW.

I've always found the electrostatics always overhyped by audiophiles, When few Dynamic, planar & BA based headphones can match or rival on detail. Heck with planar getting cheaper and doesn't need as high power needs i don't get paying over a grand for a stax system.

syn08

I've always found the electrostatics always overhyped by audiophiles, When few Dynamic, planar & BA based headphones can match or rival on detail. Heck with planar getting cheaper and doesn't need as high power needs i don't get paying over a grand for a stax system.

You must be joking, the SR-009's are about 5k and the SRM-727 driver is not included, it will set you down another $2,500. Granted, I'll buy them for $500 :D.

The Beyerdynamic T5Ps are also expensive, but IMO you get what you pay for: quality.

Not that I can afford any of these at their retail price, just sayin' :D.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just sold my T5P II headphones, I really liked them until I started using Etymotic ER4SRs, once I got used to the sound of the Etymotics I found there was a screechiness to the highs in the T5P that was quite unpleasant once I'd noticed it. I think it is an example of how we adjust to a sound (what many believe to be burn in).

OP
Y

yuki980e

I was meaning a LS700 or LS300 set up when a ER4XR, used HD800/LCD 2C would be a better deal. That stax screams rip off even more when there so many legit under $1200 options.

I just sold my T5P II headphones, I really liked them until I started using Etymotic ER4SRs, once I got used to the sound of the Etymotics I found there was a screechiness to the highs in the T5P that was quite unpleasant once I'd noticed it. I think it is an example of how we adjust to a sound (what many believe to be burn in).

I'm the same with overly bassy headphones where the boosted nature just ruins everything. I really don't understand how people can argue about netural/clarity and defend above 6db when bass masking kicks in.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

There is a fix for that screechiness.
Indeed once you hear it you can't unhear it anymore.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread, with lots of responses in a few days indicates to me that the circle of confusion problem is endemic to headphones. The fit and shape with each persons unique ears gives a unique sound. So other than true garbage like Beats or cheap no name ear buds, even among quality phones, what works great for one person doesn't for another. All the good stuff is over-rated and under-rated in regards to someone.

So for the under-rated list I'll add the Sony MDR 7510 (I saw where someone listed the 7520 which even better). These are quite a bit better to me than the Beyer DT880's I have which I wouldn't list as over-rated. Of course mainly I don't like headphone listening. So maybe everyone should ignore me on this.

riker1384

Underrated:
-Sennheiser HD580. I don't think they sound that much different from HD600 or HD650. I keep HD650 in my office, but do not feel the urge to upgrade the long-serving HD580 at home. I rarely use headphones at home, but still.
-Apple In-Ear Headphones (dual-armature IEM). I cannot think of a complaint about their sound quality. They get no love because they "only" cost $80 and Apple isn't an "audiophile" brand. I would use them more in 2019 if they were offered with a built-in Lightning cable DAC or an AirPod chip.

I agree with you about the Apple. I mentioned them in a post here that has some more info on them.

Damian

Over-rated: Campfire Andromeda - sound quality is "meh", ergonomics and electrical aspects are "WTF?"

Under-rated: FLC 8s - great sound, flexibility of filter system, and comfort.

I bought Andromedas based no reviews and I don't regret it. Sound signature is quite unique and open for an IEM, not sure what could be better than this.

For me the most overrated are V-MODAs any of them.

Most underrated, AirPods :D

Damian

The Etymotic ER4 SR is superb, and punches well above its price in SQ terms. The deep insertion fit isn't for every one though.

I had Etymotic MC5 once but 1) Comfort was not there 2) very long shell awkward to use, worse if you lie on one side 3) they literally fell apart 4) anemic sound

Has anything improved?

Top Bottom