• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

muza_1

Overrated for me the Shure SE530 I have them since they came out and used them for years until it was easier to get other brands here. Comparing them to modern IEMs the mid-frequency is too prominent they lack bass and treble and sound unnatural, really good isolation though.

graph.png

Not underrated per se (they are fairly new) but I think they deserve more attention, the CCA Trio are surprisingly balanced, natural and open. They sound just right.

CCA is a KZ brand so there is controversy around it and the looks are pretty much like any other KZ but for the price +/-$30.00 is worth a try.

TRIO.png

DenverW

Overrated: Anything Grado. I know some people like them but I not only couldn't stand the sound, but the fit and comfort as well.

Underrated: So many mid fi iems such as the jvc fdx1, the FLC8S, and others. Great sound in an affordable package.

StigErik

Forum Donor
Agree with that. Expensive Grado headphones are among worst crap I’ve ever heard.

Underrated : SONY WH1000. They sound great I think.

MbphotoX

as an owner of both the Grado RS2e and the Sony WH1000-XM4...
I just nearly spit out my drink!

Sure, the Grados are an acquired taste, but the Sony is really only good for its ANC..

I really love the Grados for clasic rock and the likes. Singer Songwriter stuff.. Awesome!

if you love the Sonys, you're robably a basshead

Agree with that. Expensive Grado headphones are among worst crap I’ve ever heard.

Underrated : SONY WH1000. They sound great I think.

Exaybachay

Sure, the Grados are an acquired taste, but the Sony is really only good for its ANC..

I really love the Grados for clasic rock and the likes. Singer Songwriter stuff.. Awesome!

Totally agree. WH1000-XM4 are horrible sounding headphones and honestly I have never listened to any Sony headphones that sound good.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Under- and overrated is a personal subjective reflection. Underrated is in my view an headphone that most people seems to dislike, and where you disagree, and likewise an overrated headphone is something most seems to like that you dislike. In that respect the Grados are in my view hardly overrated. It is my impression most people dislike them. So therefore I think those who regard them as underrated are in a minority. But as this is personal I can´t se the point in having an opinion in what others think about them. Me myself find them painful. Very uncomfortable and terrible treble.

StigErik

Forum Donor

I don't drink.

MbphotoX

you say most people dislike Grados, and you agree with them..
so they are neither underrated, nor overrated, aren't they?

StigErik

Forum Donor
you say most people dislike Grados, and you agree with them..
so they are neither underrated, nor overrated, aren't they?

Reviewers love them... those who have measured them, not so much.

I've heard Grado RS1 and RS2. Can't remember anything else below 20$ sounding that awful.

MbphotoX

Reviewers love them... those who have measured them, not so much.

I've heard Grado RS1 and RS2. Can't remember anything else below 20$ sounding that awful.
yeah, they measure horribly.

goes to show that measurements are not everything when it comes to sound perception.

And your ridiculous exaggeration doesn't help your credibility at all.

MbphotoX

This is ASR. Measurements are everything.
is that why Amir always includes his listening impressions with tests of transducers?
I would agree that amplifiers, converters, etc. mostly depend on measurements, but Transducers?

that's the whole point of this hobby! taste is personal!

And Harman didn't release ONE curve.. they released a huge RANGE for bass and treble..
people just decided to completely ignore that fact and assume that it's one TARGET that must be matched.

Glint

Overrated: Anything Grado. I know some people like them but I not only couldn't stand the sound, but the fit and comfort as well.
Was literally about to post this exact sentiment. Had the Sr325 way back, sounded fine I guess (not for the cost though), but that fit&finish/comfort?!...get out of here!

Golf

Most underrated? No question: Sennheiser HD 414.

Blockader

overrated: Stax SR007mkI/II/mk2.9
underrated: Beyerdynamic DT1990 with a lil bit of EQ.

Top Bottom