• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most iconic 80s movies

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jsilvela

David Lean made his last: A Passage To India.
And there was The Right Stuff.

Since those, and Empire of the Sun, I don't think we've seen movies of the old-school epic sweep.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
<

jsilvela

Perhaps this one?

Philip Kaufman - The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988)

OK, perhaps. That's a great one, also from Kaufman.
Right, i give you that, but aside from A Passage To India, Empire of the Sun, The Right Stuff, and The Unbearable Lightness of Being, what have the Romans ever done for us?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was working too much in the 1980s to pay much attention to movies or television, but based on this thread I didn't miss much of value.

Oldasdrt

I was working too much in the 1980s to pay much attention to movies or television, but based on this thread I didn't miss much of value.
:):) Pretty Much, but looking back there were a few good ones,

jsilvela

Hmm. Epic in a different way ... ;-)

Werner Herzog - Fitzcarraldo (1982)

Haha, good old Werner. Epic no doubt.
Another small-scale epic of his is Scream of Stone, with a perfect use of Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

But the total epic, I mean, the Tolstoy style historic + multi-character. I don't think there has been a real heir to David Lean, even if Nolan thinks he is.
I can think of smaller-scale epics like The Aviator or the recent and terrific Benediction, but no Lean-style broad-scope epic since the 80s...

Top Bottom