• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most comfortable headphones: a) Open b) Closed

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The old Sennheiser HD590 has to take the cake for the absolute lightest fullsize headphone ever - something like 210 g + 45 g for the cable. Unfortunately the headband does not provide enough adjustment range for large heads, but other than that these are like wearing a cloud.

I haven't had any major issues with other open circumaural Sennheisers either. That said, I still maintain that the original HD580/600 headband pad is rather too narrow and, once flattened, best replaced by a DIY solution covering full headband width.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have heard that sony ma900 are super comfortable. I personally think hd800s is pretty good. Aeon is pretty good for closed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The old Sennheiser HD590 has to take the cake for the absolute lightest fullsize headphone ever - something like 210 g + 45 g for the cable. Unfortunately the headband does not provide enough adjustment range for large heads, but other than that these are like wearing a cloud.

I haven't had any major issues with other open circumaural Sennheisers either. That said, I still maintain that the original HD580/600 headband pad is rather too narrow and, once flattened, best replaced by a DIY solution covering full headband width.
According to Amazon specs.
HD590 @ 268g.
HD598 @ 268g.
Looks like not much changed in the weight department.
I'm daily reminded how light they are and comfy as I wear them for several hours a day listening to music, movies and FPS games.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD590 manual says 270 gram without the cable.

The lightest 'full size' headphone I have is the HD420 SL which weighs 129 gram without the cable.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I think the first set of "home" headphones I ever had were a set of Sennheiser HD414 SL, very similar to th HD420, they were very light and very comfortable:

sennheiser-hd-414sl-xl.jpg

I only ever used them with the Sony receiver I had as a teenager. It would be interesting to try them with a proper headphone amp and compare them to the headphones I have now.

I wonder what happened to them; I don't remember getting rid of them.

I definately prefer open backed headphones and find them cooler and more comfortable than closed back.

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
What is in your opinion the most comfortable open headphones?
And the most comfortable closed headphones?
Comfortable for whom? The person wearing them or the person sitting next to them on the train?

Personally I find all headphones annoying after about 30 seconds both sound-wise and comfort-wise. They are a necessary evil in public places or when recording acoustic music, but otherwise I can't image why anyone willingly would want to wear them ...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Grado GS1000 or Sennheiser HD800 for open back. Both have a "not there" quality due to weight and pads. Not experienced any closed backs that feel the same. The Mr Speakers/ Drop Ether CX are quite good for comfort but I find the pad holes just a touch too small for my lugs and the clamp just a wee bit too tight. The Denon/ Fostex closed are nice with the right pads.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I can't image why anyone willingly would want to wear them ...

I willingly use over-ear headphones and find a lot of them to be comfortable (enough) to wear even for hours.

Earfonia

Koloth

The most comfortable closed headphones I have experienced are the Sony MDR-Z7. Flawless build quality, quality materials, extremely light and very soft pads and headband. Hell I think its more comfortable than my open cans. :D

ripvw

Forum Donor
AKG K701 open-back headphones - very comfortable with glasses on or off - used them for 11 years
Sennheiser HD600 open-back headphones - very comfortable without glasses, with glasses not so much
Etymotic ER4S IEM extremely closed-back with high level of isolation - very comfortable with the smallest foam eartips, but this is a VERY personal choice. Glasses no longer matter...

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I have a sennheiser hd 555 since around eleven years ago, I could still wear them all day long.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would that be? It is only the back of the diaphragm that is open so the bit next to the head is equally closed in both types.
So I've been thinking the driver is suspended in a open space all this time... I saw pics of the open design of the Sennheiser 8xx series and they seemed to be suspended in a open space and I equated that with my HD598SR to being a similar arrangement. Thanks for the heads up. :facepalm:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I've been thinking the driver is suspended in a open space all this time... I saw pics of the open design of the Sennheiser 8xx series and they seemed to be suspended in a open space and I equated that with my HD598SR to being a similar arrangement. Thanks for the heads up. :facepalm:
I do think there are some like that but not the majority afaik.

gfx_1

I have an older pair of beyer dynamic BT770 (the closed ones, none studio model) the earpads are nice and soft and fit
around my ears. Haven't tried much others.
It warms up after a while which is allright in wintertime and I like the sound of my new speakers better.

Wafflesocks

I wonder if there is a perception bias that comfortable headphones sound better, or better sounding headphones are more comfortable. (Not limited to these two options, just a passing thought)

Top Bottom