• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The most comfortable headphones: a) Open b) Closed

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
What is in your opinion the most comfortable open headphones?
And the most comfortable closed headphones?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser for open, lightweight, not sweaty and cozy. I use the HD 598 SR and am very satisfied but I would like a HD 660S or better.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Being open or closed doesn't really matter. It's about ergonomics, and every person has a different head shape.

Personally, the Focal Clear are the most comfortable headphones I encountered. Meze 99 are also pretty great.

The most uncomfortable headphones are without a doubt the ABYSS AB-1266 Phi TC. I managed to wear that torture device for a full minute before it became too painful and I had to take them off.

monkeyboy

Open are cooler, but they can still get hot. I find something with a bit of clamp force more comfortable...so I prefer the fit of a DT 1990 to a T1.2

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Open with velvet pads (Sennheiser) is by far the best for comfort. I've been through thousands of dollars of headphones and that's what I'm sticking with. If it ain't comfortable, you won't use them, no matter how great they sound.
I'm the same way and I use my Sennheisers for several hours per day and have no issues other than I want some more expensive Sennheisers.

esm

Forum Donor
I imagine a lot of this is going to be personal preference; I find most closed-backs to be way too hot to wear for extended periods, but I just assume my dome is shaped funny and/or is too well-insulated ;)

I find my Oppo PM-3s to be mostly okay for longer term wear (although they allow a fair bit of sound leakage), and for loud environments the Sony WH-1000XM3s are super comfortable (but get really hot for me after a while). I tend to grab IEMs for situations I think most people would use closed-back cans.

The most luxurious open cans I have are Focal Clears, but I find most of the open-back cans in my collection (see signature) to be pretty comfortable for extended wear. The fit of the Sundaras have really grown on me too, as have the AKG K7xx. (A friend had the AKGs with the bumpy head strap, though, and he hated it with the fiery passion of a thousand suns until he replaced it.)

Most comfortable for the people around you, though, is going to be a well-sealing closed-back. ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What is in your opinion the most comfortable open headphones?

HD700 and HD800 qualify as comfortable to me.
Focal and Sennheisers in general are also comfy to me (as are some Beyerdynamics)
For planars the hifiman ones are comfy as well as Dan Clark (Mr. Speakers)
Some Sony headphones also feel comfortable.

Not everyone finds the large pads of the HD800 and hifimans comfortable though.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can only say about open ones: most comfy Sennheiser HD 580 .. 650, nearly as good DT 990 pro. The worst comfy was AKG K701.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Philips Fidelio X2 and Audioquest Nighthawk are both very comfortable. Focals, like the Clear are also very comfortable.

westyjeff

My K7XX headphones are very comfortable (partly open), The Hifiman Edition XX (or any of the egg shape) are also light weight and very comfortable.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Pioneer HRM 7 very comfortable with great bass also AKG K240 light and comfortable but bass lacks a bit

raif71

Major Contributor
Open or closed, my ears will get sweaty wearing them. However, I choose Senn 6 series for open and sony mdr-1am2 or AT m50x for closed. Staying home now, I'll have to use the closed more even though I prefer the open sound. If I'm using the open at home, I'll have to make sure I'll have to social distance more from the wife otherwise I'll will get the "Oi...blah blah" :facepalm:

Top Bottom