• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. I would feel right @ home with that collection. I recognize many of the artists. That's a cool website. I like how it is so informative and easy to use. Do you have any laser video discs? I think those are very collectable too.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Nice. I would feel right @ home with that collection. I recognize many of the artists. That's a cool website. I like how it is so informative and easy to use. Do you have any laser video discs? I think those are very collectable too.

No, I don't have any video anything.

Don't even own a video player of any kind.

We don't even have cable TV or an AVR. Everything is just streaming.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had an Audioquest Jitterbug, but sold it off for basically what I paid for it. I do have a couple of their cables that I bought fairly cheap. My fanciest USB cable (one of their Evergreen series, so still on their low side).

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me, hands-down, it's my Yph phono stage:

hero.jpg

hero6.jpg

It gets more comments, questions, than other piece of electronics I own. As a work of living room art, it's great.

As a work of craftmanship, it's great. Hand-made case, point-point-wiring.

As a piece of audio gear, it's crazy. It doesn't fit in a rack. It has no adjustment to cartridge loading or gain. It's output is somewhat anemic. The noise floor is high. Specs would probably be bested by a $50 solid state stage with a wall wart.

But, it's part of my vinyl world, which is already objectively inferior, so I don't worry.

And yours?
This has got to be one of the weirdest phono stages out there. Looks scary as hell, electrically.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is an Otrai MX-5050:
I would not normally point this out but it may be an important typo needing a correction.
OTARI

Somafunk

Major Contributor

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own​

An Audioquest Pearl Ethernet cable @ £15

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

Argh!
Actually, quite embarrassing!:facepalm:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
In my audiophool time when I trusted the reviews of a certain magazine, I bought these. Active...and just 1 meter long :facepalm:

I changed my mind. Nowadays I think people who have a lot of audiophool cables become jittery.
;)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

TimF

Forum Donor
What could be more foolery than Klaus Nomi doing You Don't Own Me.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see how you live with the shame.
I can tell you how but only if you start a new post about 'audio profiteering'.
I've made more $$ selling my older hardware/media than losing $$ as a phool;)

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My tube collection is now worth far more than the electronics they were intended to reside in.
Mine too, but I plead not guilty to audiophoolery because I came about them by accident, and like you, their value seems dictated by others ... in the late 1980s I had a three-week gig at a huge TV broadcaster in the UK, where a tech maintenance area was being revamped. Guys were literally using shovels to clear a tube storage room into two-yard rolling dumpsters. Seemed a shame, so I filled a rotten old carton (from an old Lockwood monitor, it turned out) with a random selection. Among them were two dozen unused Osram B65s (6SN7s) which now go for a grand apiece, or $5k for matched quads.
The valuable ones I have (e.g., CCa, vintage Dutch Amperex bugles…) are very good but nothing exceptional.
Also among them were six Bugle Boys, stamped on the box flap with the packing date 6th July 1957. Which was a Saturday, so the factory was obviously humming ... and it was a hugely significant musical date, too - so they could be worth a grand apiece as well.

JP

Major Contributor

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Funny thing is that the very best of the 6DJ8 family I’ve tested has negligible collector value. The valuable ones I have (e.g., CCa, vintage Dutch Amperex bugles…) are very good but nothing exceptional. Current JJs perform right near the top of the pile and are relatively inexpensive.
What were you testing for? That is interesting. 6DJ8s, a vhf tube can be tricky. The best I have are bugle boys that were tested for noise and microphonics some 50 years ago by ARS in Calif.

Top Bottom