• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

BelgianJoey

I have an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt. When my experience with the thing was not that stellar as anticipated from almost all reviews I stumbled upon Amir’s measurements and “the vail got lifted” - I had been fooled. I never used it since.
I’m still happy with the ”Dragontail” that was in the box - a USB-A female to USB-C male connector - which I now use to connect my iPad to a RME DAC.

egellings

Major Contributor
Athena Polyphasor! This was a box that you connected between the amp outputs and the speakers to perform some sort of magic on the sound. Was bullshitted into thinking I heard an improvement, but after I owned it for a while and tried the system with and without the box, I could not hear a difference at all. Luckily I was able to sell it.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A long time ago, on a planet far away...

Mpingo discs:facepalm:

Added depth, wider sound stage and extended Fx response to 40 kHz - easy to hear!!

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Man toys chart.

Audiophoolery has bad ROI, except for cats.

11209201.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yeah, there are some pretty bizarre prices out there for vintage tubes.
Don't get me started, 12 years ago I gave away 3 large boxes full of vintage pulls that I no longer had a use for. Probably some that had real value today. :(

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Two Audioquest Pearl Ethernet cables, one from router to iMac, one from router to Cambridge Audio CXN v2 and Audioquest Pearl usb cable from iMac to CXN v2 , £40 for all as they were discounted by retailer when I bought the CXN v2. That’s as far into the audiophile swamp that I’m willing to go

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ebay linear power supply for my Pi Hat DAC. I bought it based purely on weight.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it that bad ? ? I read it would pair great with the r200 ‘s?
What route should I go - what route did you go ?
If you don't have any doors (to use it as a door-stop), just leave it disconnected and then pretend a stereo pair is your new audiophool snake-oil. ;)
YMMV but it work'd for me!

_Dekker

Many years ago I assembled a 'Field size detector' from a schematic out of an electronics magazine.
It was put in a small, completely sealed case with only an on/off button. Operated on a 9V battery.
How you use it:
Switch on the audio component to measure, for instance the CD player.
With the detector on, move closer to the component until it beeps. Mark this position.

Then do the same with the AC plug flipped.
The best case for the AC plug would be the one with the least field i.e. beeping closest to the object.
Measurement distance was typically ~4cm before beeping, with abut 1-2cm between the different fields.

Tossed it in the trash a few months ago.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An "audiophile" 3.5mm - 3.5mm interconnect, because it looked fancy. :p In my defense, I bought it when I just got into head-fi, more than a decade ago.

Peterinvan

We downsized to a 1 bed condo. I took two blue Rubbermaid bins of CDs to the dump. Now only streaming!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had bought this 3.5mm (TRS) to 2 RCAs (L/R) cable about 6 months ago because it looked "robust" for a 1 meter run (~$25).
This one was a replacement for a Monoprice cable which was void of L/R markings on either RCA end.
I had promptly returned the cable with a promise to myself that I will not do business w/MonoPrice ever again.
Being 'once burned, twice shy', I was forced me to measure (Ohm-out) the new cable's RCA ends (which were also NOT identified...)
Snag_1418f04f.png

It turns out both RCAs are connected to the Left channel of the RCA and the RIGHT channel has become MIA, somehow!
Hmmmmm...
I think I've been pawned... :mad:

Top Bottom