• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Miniot, a new vertical turntable

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Look what The Verrge dredged up:

IMG20230118154715_01.jpeg

Keith_W

Major Contributor
That was an inspiring story of perseverance for the designer to brave all the difficulties and challenges to his health to make his vision come true.

As for the vision itself - he admits that he has never designed a turntable before, tried to outsource as much of design and production that he could (and eventually had to bring it back in-house), and he was driven by emotion and feelings rather than a desire to produce ultimate quality. He acknowledges the flaws in his product - unable to play warped records, danger of tipping the turntable over, unable to change cartridge or phono stage, and that it is expensive for what it is.

Personally, I don't begrudge him any of this, even though turntables (and this turntable in particular) is not for me. He seems like an honest man who wanted to create something different. He succeeded (but he still has to fulfil his Kickstarter obligations, so maybe a few more years of hell for him). How many of us would be willing to do something like that? Good on him!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They were a thing in the 1980s. As long as the arm is dynamically balanced (i.e., tracking force applied via a spring) it's pretty straightforward.
Mitsubishi's was (or were) probably the best-known (or best-remembered), but there were others.
Mitsubishi-LT5V.jpg

Heck, they were a thing in the 1950s! :)

This Empire demo would've been just the thing for Lionel Richie's Dancing on the Ceiling! :)

Top Bottom