• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Mandalorian - Season 3

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Regardless, I don’t see why we should forgive the shortcomings just because they are everywhere…

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
But this kind of shortcoming (like: everything only works out because someone acts really, really stupid and/or someone is really, really lucky) is not everywhere. There are productions with writers who actually try finding ways to tell a story where everyone acts rational from their own perspective.
I must be exposed to the wrong few shows, then. It certainly seems to me that the art of storytelling is woefully lacking in modern media.
Regardless, I don’t see why we should forgive the shortcomings just because they are everywhere…
Agreed.

You have to agree, though, that nothing seems to bring out the detractors quite like the Star Wars franchise does.
*shrugs

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must be exposed to the wrong few shows, then.
The best production i've seen in this regard (= actions make sense/are believable for characters and you think "i would probably have done the same in this situation") is "Better Call Saul", which gets better from season to season. A stunning piece of art.

Edit: great thing is, that works for most of the characters in the show, even the "bad guys".

Edit2: That's what i liked about Andor, too. I think this aspect was pretty good most of the time (except episode 1 maybe).

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
The best production i've seen in this regard (= actions make sense/are believable for characters and you think "i would probably have done the same in this situation") is "Better Call Saul", which gets better from season to season. A stunning piece of art.

Edit: great thing is, that works for most of the characters in the show, even the "bad guys".

Edit2: That's what i liked about Andor, too. I think this aspect was pretty good most of the time (except episode 1 maybe).
I concur. Better Call Saul is one of the few standout shows I've watched in quite a while. I wish there were more that worthy of praise.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find the problem to be more with trying to create any kind of pacing. Too many episodes, not enough good content. Story lines move at a snails pace. I think Trek got it right with Next Generation with episodes like Inner Light where Picard lives an alternate lifetime in a few minutes (the flute episode). Character studies like that gave them depth. In fairness both Mando and especially Andor have their moments. I think Star Wars needs to stay far away from anything connected to the original movies timeline and find a new group they can develop without being second guessed by every nerd with a $250 lightsaber replica. Don’t get me started on Marvel, bad puns, one liners, what a shame To have 70 years of great stories already written and to still suck. They do look good I guess, but any thought toward acting is long gone.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm seeing the writers strike in the TV/movie industry. Just going by the average level of writing, I think the majority are already overpaid. Or I hope they switch to ChatGPT because it is quite a bit better than the average quality of writing on modern shows. There is more than writing, but good writing can overcome some deficiencies while no amount of money, great acting, directing or producing can overcome poor writing.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They do look good I guess, but any thought toward acting is long gone.
There is more than writing, but good writing can overcome some deficiencies while no amount of money, great acting, directing or producing can overcome poor writing.
Man we got a tough reviewing crowd here. :(
I'm very glad there enough opposing opinions out there to support the continued filming of new chapters for me to enjoy. :p

Top Bottom