• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

Kalessin

Forum Donor
My current setup. No plan to change in the forthcoming years :rolleyes:... Except for the aesthetic (while keeping the same gear).
Kef R11, Svs SB-3000, minidsp SHD, Boxem Arthur 34/09, Sony xb790qs (CD player).

I really like the look you have, all except for that I find the rug is a little busy. I'd go for a softer blue geometric. Nice gear, too!

We're about to start a basement finishing project, and my awesome spouse is thinking all-white instead of all-dark in the basement for room design reasons, as it will be home theater and play area.

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
I really like the look you have, all except for that I find the rug is a little busy. I'd go for a softer blue geometric. Nice gear, too!

We're about to start a basement finishing project, and my awesome spouse is thinking all-white instead of all-dark in the basement for room design reasons, as it will be home theater and play area.

Thanks! I agree for the business of the rug. I really need to put back the drawer to get the symmetry and stuff the cds in the two bottom drawers... There was a Marantz avr in the left part of the furniture, replaced by non-heating and compact hypex amp.

And all white was also a spouse non-negotiable "advice". But in the end white is nice :p

wrat

System 1 living room
yamaha rxa 870 using preout for mains
anthem mca 225
martin logan vantage / marting logan motion 6 center / def tech pro 80 rear
realistic lab 440 shure cart
project phono box
svs pb1000
PC with 4+ tb flac

System 2 listening room 10x9 irregular pentagon room has 5 unequal walls
conrad johnson pv15
McIntosh MC 275
Apogee Centaur Minors
Nottingham Analog Interspace jr with transfiguration cart
Belles Audio Custom Phono Pre
pc with original dragonfly dac
velodyne spl12r

wrat

System 1 living room
yamaha rxa 870 using preout for mains
anthem mca 225
martin logan vantage / marting logan motion 6 center / def tech pro 80 rear
realistic lab 440 shure cart
project phono box
svs pb1000
PC with 4+ tb flac

System 2 listening room 10x9 irregular pentagon room has 5 unequal walls
conrad johnson pv15
McIntosh MC 275
Apogee Centaur Minors
Nottingham Analog Interspace jr with transfiguration cart
Belles Audio Custom Phono Pre
pc with original dragonfly dac
velodyne spl12r
1624914798447.png

sitherion

Cambridge Audio EVO 150, ProJect X1, Klipsch RP-8000F ( + Klipsch SPL-120 sub not in photo)
Bought a mont ago with help from the forum and a loooot of on-sight demos.

I love the sound from Klipsch, very clean, and I am really happy with the connectivity from EVO.

IMG_5741.jpg

Foulchet

I wonder whether I am in the contest for the worst organized setup and the worst looking one.
Funningly my loudspeakers setup is an audiophile nightmare in some aspects but the headphones one is an audiofool tube one :p

TV/Hifi

1626862806341.jpeg

Sony Oled A9S 48"
Cabasse MC170 Jersey
Marantz NR1200 (2.0)
Marantz CD6006
Electric cables from the DIY store (it was a temporary solution but because it works fine, I haven't replaced them)

Well terrible acoustics (I set NR1200 at -1dB bass and +1dB high, it is a lot better but still there is too much basses due to speakers position). When I am alone and if I really want to have a better sound, I place them well and the balance is better. The heaters are not that close, it is a matter of perspective.
I use these speakers mainly for TV/Movies/etc., in that case the acoustics is not really a problem, the sound is very clear.

Headphones

pc_headphones_1.jpg

pc_headphones_2.jpg

Cayin HA-1A Mk2 tube amp
Cayin iDac-6 Mk1 tube/ss dac
Sennheiser HD560S

Again a big mess :p I mainly use it with an iPhone + CCK and use it more than my speakers for music only (as I work sometimes at home). I use the DAC in SS mode as tube is a gimmick and sounds kinda worse AND nothing special.
Probably overkill but I like the aesthetics, plus it is probably my endgame as I will probably lose interest in the hobby.

Last edited:

HerbertWest

Neumann Kh310, Rythmik F12 subs, Sony TA-F555ESR, TA-F333ESR.

The above is driven by an ADI2-Pro and two Topping E30 controlled by RME Totalmix (via RME Digiface USB). The PC hosts the ADI (you can see it on its front side) and all the D/A converters. Audiolense filters takes care of room correction in Roon, or the few times per year I watch movies.

I am considering adding mild room treatment in a few months. Will depend on likelihood that my wife ejects the system out of the window..

BEE05082-1511-4020-BCB5-E2AA44F0574C.jpeg

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I added a relays board in my Quad Clone. I was told (and I know) just foam isn't that best for a 220V powered extension. Still have to fix that. But sounds very nice.

20210624_005225.jpg

D

Deleted member 35396

My room is very small (3m x 4m) but I try to give the speakers proper position.
Just a pair of LS50 wireless ii for stereo setup

Source: Teac TN-4D turntable with 2M Red cartridge & Flac Files on SSD played via Roon

Headphone Desk Setup: iFi Zen Dac + Can stack, Hifiman He400i 2020
Mobile: Sony NW-A55, Fiio Q3, Fiio FD5

tempImageJvBFMC.jpg

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I just picked up a JDS Labs EL DAC II for my headphone setup.

Headphone Rig:
Bluesound Node 2 (Roon endpoint streamer)
JDS Labs EL DAC II
TCA HPA-1
QUAD ERA-1

Speaker Rig:
Matrix Audio Element X (Roon endpoint streamer/DAC/Pre)
Neurochrome Modulus-286 (built by @tomchr )
KEF LS50 Meta

Since de-emphasizing the subjective side of my audio brain, I’ve found I have to fiddle less to get good sound and spend more time hearing music vs. my gear.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Greetings from audiophile jewellery land…
Marantz SA 10
Marantz PM 10
Osborn Eclipse Tower Reference

The speakers have to sit on the long wall in the living room of our small apartment , 6.5 x 3.8 metres.

Occasionally I stream from a Samsung TV.

The electronics were not my first choice after the old CD player died, but my wife informed me we were staying with a disc player - and getting a matching amp. I had a subjective moment with the SA 10 and decided to blow the budget.

I’ll add a computer based streaming source in the near future and will look at EQ then as well, but we’re enjoying what we have for now.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me edit/add/update again:
- The latest system setup of my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio rig as of August 3, 2023: #774 on my project thread

Let me edit/add/update again:
- Revival of analog LP player (MC cartridge) in my DSP multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo system for real time on-the-fly vinyl LP listening (and digital recording, if needed):
#688 on my project thread

Edited to add on June 3, 2022:
Please find the latest total system configuration with DIY 12-VU-Meter Array, the best tuned time alignment and Fq response, together with further various setup info as of May 30, 2022 here (post #540) on my project thread.

Edited to add on January 27, 2022:
Please find the latest system setup and Fq response as of January 25, 2022 here on my thread.

On August 12, I posted and shared my present audio setup on the thread entitled "Show us your audio setup!", but later-on the OP @anphex suggested that all of the setup posts would be better to be moved into this thread.

Accordingly, please let me share my latest multichannel multi-amplifier stereo setup here on this thread again.

In my multichannel multi-driver (multi-way) multi-amplifier stereo audio project, you may find the latest configuration and photos as well as the Fq response measured at my listening position in my post here.

I hope it is allowed showing them again here for your reference, as follows;

WS002403.JPG

WS002404.JPG

WS002397.JPG

WS002396.JPG

WS002395.JPG

As shared in my previous posts here and here on my thread, the elevating Fq response over 7 kHz is intending to compensate my slight age dependent hearing decline; now the upward slope over 7 kHz can be easily, safely and flexibly controlled by YAMAHA A-S301 driving STs on-the-fly, while listening to music, using the IR remote controller for A-S301 from the sofa at my listening position.
WS002311.JPG

Photos of the listening room;
WS002379.JPG

WS001679.JPG

And the distances;
WS002393.JPG

Please refer to my post here for details of the listening room environments.

The unique physical alignment of the super tweeters, i.e. positioned under the woofers as described in my post here, is really one of the critical factors in my system in terms of the 3D sound perspective (3D sound stage).

Present physical layout of PCs, DACs and amplifiers;
WS002392.JPG

As for two of my DIY built audio dedicated Windows 10 Pro PC, i.e. completely silent PCs, please refer to my post here.

Edit:
One of the unique features of my setup is that I use four HiFi "integrated amplifiers", instead of simple "power amplifiers", dedicatedly/directly driving SP drivers. While keeping all the parameters in the digital XO/EQ software EKIO and in the 8-Ch DAC OKTO DAC8PRO, I (we) may easily, flexibly and safely fine-tune the Fq responses on-the-fly (while playing music) by using volume/gain dials of these amplifiers, as shared in my post here. The five volume/gain dials can be independently controlled by the five IR remote controllers while sitting on the listening sofa.
WS002476.JPG

If you would be interested in my really intensive and long exploration on selection of these amplifiers, please visit my project thread.

As you can find in above diagrams, I need so many SP cables; I use 600 V VCT (Vinyl Cabtyre) coaxial (twisted) flexible cables, 4-core AWG10 (5.5 sq mm) VCT (less than 3.37 Ω/km) outer diameter 16.5 mm and 8-core AWG12 (3.5 sq mm) VCT (less than 5.24 Ω/km) outer diameter 18.0 mm together with tin-plated copper Y-lugs for binding posts. See my post here for details.

I very much carefully selected made of non-magnetic metals for all of the Y-lugs, R-lugs, connection terminal blocks (plates and screws) and binding posts, as shared here, here and here. If we would accidentally use magnetic metals, e.g. for a terminal block (metal plates and/or screws), it will deteriorate the sound by giving blur, low-resolution and uncleanliness to the sound quality.

I purchased audio grade non-magnetic terminal blocks (terminal strips) at a DIY audio pro shop. All of the plate and the screw are made of non-magnet metal. Although I sometimes feel a little bit frustration since I cannot catch the screw by magnetized screwdriver, it is really important to avoid any magnetic susceptible metals in these circuit to keep excellent Hi-Fi level sound quality.

Further edit on October 23, 2021:
Two of my audio enthu friends in Japan cordially contacted me by e-mail asking for backside wiring (jungle?) photos of PCs-DACs-amplifiers and also backside photos of SPs; they said that the photos would be better to be added in this post. Accordingly, let me add the following four photos here. I do hope the photos would be quite self-explanatory...
WS002541.JPG

WS002542.JPG

WS002543.JPG

WS002545.JPG

Edited to add on January 27, 2022:
Please find the latest system setup and Fq response as of January 25, 2022 here in my thread.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I hope it is allowed showing them again here for your reference, as follows;
No problem, we all enjoy looking over others solutions to their passion.
Nice rig!!!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...I hope it is allowed showing them again here for your reference, as follows;
View attachment 158567
It's very petty but must ask what program you use to create this wiring block diagram.
I am an old Visio user (starting before Microsoft diluted it) yet I it takes me days to create block diagrams and wiring drawings.
It all started when flatTVs came out and I did not want the TV to steal the whole living room.
I ordered a No.Carolina Lift-TV entertainment system (Mission style) sight-unseen. Only to find out that max. equipment depth could not exceed 14.75inches (because of the room it takes in the rear for a TV lift mechanism).
202110_OldTVLiftphoto.jpg
202110_OldTVLiftRendered4Visio.jpg

Re-creation of Visio became necessary (right dwg)
It was painful to rid all my fave audio gear that could not fit. It was also costly to find an AV pre-pro with depth limit (unlike most 19" rack mount equipment that we all take for granted).
202110_OldIntegraInterConnections01.jpg

I recently started redoing those old Visio drawings when major updates, replacements and additions were done earlier this year.
Ended up only getting as far as just the layer for the "network" connectivity (below). The Visio layer for the audio equipment started getting to be a nightmare and I gave up. There also needs to be another layer for power distribution.
202110_AV networkConnections.jpg

WORST yet, have you ever tried to make connections blindly because the entertainment system has no possible rear access?
Also remember what is left is really right when you are looking at the rear panel from the front.
All this also meant that each cable MUST have TWO labels as they are all blind: one end is the "TO" hardware information and the second end becomes the "FROM" hw and function. And no, don't ever try a Sharpie (for labeling) bcuz it will fade over time. :oops:
Even was able to convince my mate that I really needed to update the speakers and she relented! Woot!

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's very petty but must ask what program you use to create this wiring block diagram.

Hello pseudoid,

Microsoft PowerPoint which is really familiar for me since I have been intensively using it for preparation of presentation materials in my biomedical research...

After preparing PowerPoint slides, I spread them by "slide-show" in full screen of my PC monitor ( I use two of EIZO FlexScan EV2750: 2560x1440 pixel each, 5120x1440 desktop), and get the jpg images by a free flexible screen capture software.

Sometimes I take the jpg images again into PowerPoint slides for further processing/manipulations to give final slides to be captured into jpg and posted onto ASR Forum.

Edit on November 28, 2022:
The size of the PowerPoint file for my project thread is now about 130 322 MB (including all the diagrams and photos as well as many draft slides; now I have 877 1,711 slides in it), and it is still growing!

Of course, whenever I added/edited a few slides, I save the PowerPoint project file with different file name (including the date sequence like "20211019_a") so that I should never lose any of the slides I prepared. At present, I keep all of the 177 299 revisions (total only 8.9 32.3 GB) of such PowerPoint project files; the first one was prepared in March 2020.

Last edited:
Top Bottom