• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

danzilla31

Forum Donor
No, I moved from SA to Dallas in 1993. Dallas is NOT an improvement over San Antonio, and I still miss SA. Moved from Dallas to Virginia a few years after that, and met my wife here.

Rick “had a better listening room in SA but here is now home” Denney
Congratulations on your marriage that alone made all those changes worth it! Yeah I love SA been a great place to live

Booker

Forum Donor
Nothing fancy. After several trials of roon, I decided to stay in at least one year. A week later I successfully set up ROCK on the Intel NUC.

krott5333

I'm finally at a place where I'm very happy with my setup and I don't expect any major upgrades for awhile. The only thing I might do is get slightly taller speaker stands.

Speakers: ELAC dbr62
Amp: Buckeye NC252MP (hypex ncore)
DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th v2
Sub: JBL 550p
CD Transport: Audiolab 6000CDT
Streamer: Google Chromecast Audio, Roku TV
other: cheap toslink switcher from ebay

PXL_20210320_004133732_2.jpgPXL_20210320_004141764.jpgPXL_20210320_004149994.jpgPXL_20210320_004245975.jpgPXL_20210320_004256507.jpgPXL_20210320_004541969.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Very nice, clean and unfussy - I approve of this and bet it sounds good. I particularly like the scandi inspired unit with the sliding doors and the acoustic treatment.

krott5333

Very nice, clean and unfussy - I approve of this and bet it sounds good. I particularly like the scandi inspired unit with the sliding doors and the acoustic treatment.

Thanks! Yeah I love the way it sounds. Over the last five months I went from Dayton B652-Air to Klipsch RP600 to Triangle br03 and finally to the Elacs. The B652-Air has been retired to bedroom use. The RP600 was trash, sent those back. BR03 was decent but something was missing in the midrange, didn't feel quite balanced enough, sold those. I'm very happy with the Elacs. I can listen to them all day without fatigue and they always sound good.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Well, I finally cleaned my space up enough to take a picture. Electronics are all in the rack in the bottom left. At the moment...
- RME ADI-2 Pro FS (main AD/DA, connected to monitors
- Apogee Rosetta 200 (secondary AD/DA, for analog mix bus processing)
- ART Pro TransX (Transformer coupled discrete solid state mic preamps, not super clean but nice sounding)
- Warm Audio Bus-Comp (essentially a hotrodded SSL bus compressor with switchable output transformers, sidechain HPF, and a couple extra compression ratios)

Speakers are Barefoot Footprint01s, headphones Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XXs. Control surface is a Euphonix MC Mix. Also, a Samson S-Patch Pro TRS patch bay.
2021-03-20-22-37-19.jpg

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Resize of IMAG0122.jpg

Ordered an Arendal 1723 Sub 1s.... I think I went a little overboard with this one.
Never would have thought that such a big guy can be that stealthy. Integration was pain free and is seamless.

The built in PEQ is pretty good though, got reasonably close to Dirac's results by using it.
Also, got proper speaker stands for my surrounds. :D

Vict0r

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-11 at 09.28.10.jpeg

I recently moved into my new house, and have been slowly turning the rooms into habitable spaces. My cinema room was the first one I worked on. Priorities, eh? :p Who needs a kitchen anyway.

A modest setup (compared to the crazy rooms I've seen here and on AVforum), because I'm still firmly in the first phase of my AV adventure, but it's getting there.

Gear:
- LG 65" C9 4K OLED.
- Denon X2600h AVR
- Q Acoustics 3050 fronts
- Q Acoustics 3090Ci center
- 2x Audio Pro SA-2 rears
- 2x Q Acoustics 3010 height channels (not yet installed, laying next to the center speaker, doing nothing for now)
- BK XLS200-DF Mk2 subwoofer (looking for a second one)
- Kodi running on a Xiaomi Mi Box 4K
- Playstation 4 Pro, Nintendo Switch

Room treatment:
- 6x 120x80x15 Rockwool Sonos DIY broadband absorbers, an added 8cm air gap between the panels and the wall
- 2x floor-to-ceiling Rockwool Sonos DIY corner bass traps (front)
- 3x RPG Skyline diffuser (back)
- extra thick, acoustic PVC with a layer of dampening underlayment beneath it, on a solid concrete floor
- REW, Umik1, Audyssey

Tried several different ways of coupling and decoupling the front stage speakers, and settled on a decoupling solution. The fronts and sub are now standing on spikes on thick, multi-layer bamboo plates, with sorbothane isolators keeping the plates off the floor. The center is raised slightly with much smaller sorbothane feet, keeping it semi-decoupled from the wood and steel AV rack in the front. This also raised it perfectly to ear level and in line with the tweeters from the 3050's. The rug is the thickest, densest, hand-made woolen rug I could find within my rug-budget, with a felt underlayment underneath. The drapes behind the listening position are thick noise blockers and they block all light coming in when they're closed.

I still have to dampen the piano a little, because there's some resonance there during loud LFE frequencies. I'm going to build an acoustic cloud above the listening position as well because the ceiling is still completely untreated. Thinking about including some LED strips along the length of it, to give the room some soft lighting that I can turn off when the movie starts. :)

Last edited:

Harryharryharry

My system is quite simple at the moment:

Minidsp SHD streamer/preamp/room correction
Audiophonics amplifier (Hypex NC252MP)
Wharfedale Evo 4.4s floorstanders

Thinking of adding a SVS SB 1000 pro sub when I can afford it.

My only other niggle is I occasionally want to play music loud and can get up to 85-90/100 on the SHD and the distortion kicks in (I believe from the NC252MP which graphs show some distortion at high levels).

Might venture into some room treatment in our new house.

Will also add turntable and pre amp later.

Room is 5 X 5 X 2.5m

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_123400-min.jpg
    IMG_20210205_123400-min.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 328

Katji

Major Contributor
The drapes behind the listening position are noise blockers and block all light coming in when they're closed.
:) How closed were they when you did the foto?

...Very impressive. The acoustic treatment.
...I want to see the rug. (Yes, rugs are expensive...relatively, it seems, but so are acoustic panels.) :confused: ...

Vict0r

:) How closed were they when you did the foto?

...Very impressive. The acoustic treatment.
...I want to see the rug. (Yes, rugs are expensive...relatively, it seems, but so are acoustic panels.) :confused: ...

The layered drapes were opened about 80% of the way on that photo. If I close them, the room is pitch black. :D I just wanted the place to be able to get as dark as possible. For that reason, I painted the walls a dark grey color because I wanted the OLED panel to "float" while watching movies. The less light reflecting off the walls, the better. I thought about painting the walls as black as I could, but I thought that was a bit too "bat cave". :p

Here's a close up of the rug. I spent more on the rug than I did on the AVR (bought that one second hand, though). I had no idea these things could get so pricey. :p

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-02 at 11.13.33.jpeg

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some pics of recent changes here, which were effected for let's say 75% aesthetics, 20% sonics, and 5% get-stuff-out-of-the-basement. I designed the cabinets and mantel, and they were (slowly but well) built for us.

The front of the room went from this:
living room old.jpeg

to this:

living room new.jpeg

Note how much actual and apparent floor space has been liberated in the new setup. Living room, for reference, is about 14' wide, 22.5' deep, and 9.5' high.

The headline is a sea change in the LCR speakers. I've literally used speakers with concentric drivers as my primary system speakers for the whole of my adult life so far. Now the front left/right are JBL 708i and the center (integrated into the mantel) is JBL Synthesis SCL-3. The mantel slopes down, to aim the throat of the horn at my nose when seated in the primary position.
SCL-3.jpeg

There are 4 subs in the room, but only one is apparent as such. Here's the guts of the multisub system. It is complete overkill, and mostly this way because I had the drive units. If I were starting over each sub would probably be a small closed box with dual opposed 10s.
subwoofers.jpeg

The front two subs are also functional storage, though I had them finished beautifully inside as well.
sub cab before shelves.jpeg

The visible sub still looks reasonably furniture-like.
side sub.jpeg

I don't consider it dialed in yet (for example have only run a 5-point Dirac cal) but so far there is an improvement in resolution at low volumes. I thought the old system sounded wonderful, so any small improvement is welcome, giving the liberated floorspace and more attractive living space.

Here's the full equipment list.
Sources
  • Apple TV 4K (video, AirPlay streams, Tidal in Atmos)
  • Mac mini (music server)
  • B&O RX-2 TT with SoundSmith SMMC3 cartridge, Parks Audio Puffin phone pre (coax dig out)
  • Sony X800 (multichannel audio disks; technically it can play movies as well)
  • Roku 4K (backup I guess - haven’t really used since Amazon Prime Video came to AppleTV)
Processing
  • Monoprice HTP-1
  • BSS BLU-50 (L/R)
Amplification
  • ATI AT4007 (base 7)
  • 2x QSC SPA4-100 (bridged - F/R heights)
  • Crown DCI4|1250n DSP-amp (subs)
Speakers (Auro configuration 7.1.4h)
  • JBL LSR708i left/right
  • JBL SCL-3 center (in mantel)
  • Pioneer EX/TAD S-iw891 sides (in walls)
  • NHT Classic Three (rears)
  • Tannoy Revolution XT Mini (F&R heights)
  • Subwoofers as above
Screen
  • 55” LG OLED
Next step once it's dialed in is to see if we actually lose anything swapping out the JBL 708s for 705s. If not, reducing the visual footprint of the system makes the change a no brainer.

Last edited:

Grotti

Forum Donor
Just a short overview over my current gear (sorry: no pictures....) :
Speakers: Amphion Argon 3s on a lowboard on Isoacoustics ISO-200
Poweramp: Elac DPA-2
Preamp and DA/AD: RME ADI-2 pro fs r BE
Streamer: Volumio Primo Hifi with portable Samsung SSD
CD-Player: Marantz CD 6005 (barely used anymore)
TT: Rega Planar 3 (from 1990) with Audio Technica AT400Mla (much younger of course :))
Phonostage: Aikido 1+
Cable: a wild mix off brands and nothing expensive (Exception: the speaker cable from Supra.... I bought it before I came here :facepalm:...)

My Computer could also be used as a source (Audirvana installed) but it is more convenient to play music using the Volumio App on my mobile phone (although the app is buggy as hell).

The next project will be a DIY compact stereo speaker. It will be a slightly modified speaker kit with DXT tweeter, a 15 cm bass/midrange and a PR. But this will take a little time.....

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
here's the geek wall of my bedroom. It's a veritable cornucopia of nerdish delights! lol

So it's tough to see what's actually in there so there's a bunch of comic and rpg books, and some board games and deodorant lol. Under that purple cloth at the top of one shelf unit is a nice arcade style joystick controller for my MAME shooters. But as far as audio goes, there's a bunch of bluetooth speakers (Soundcore Motion +, Wking D8, a couple Tribit Xsound Surfs which sound really great in TWS mode), plus a bunch of headphone gear - a Fiio Q1 amp/dac, Fiio E10k, Liquid Spark amp, Schiit Heresy, AKG K240 headphones, HE-400i headphones, theres an E30 dac behind the Tribit on the right there, behind the TV is a set of Takstar Pro82 headphones. That blue Wonderboom bluetooth speaker is blown so it now serves as a weight to keep the Heresy from sliding around, lol...

Last edited:

blackmetalboon

The last few changes were to reduce the box count and for additional features. I also treated myself to a new TV. I’m just waiting for a few more pieces of furniture and some CD storage to turn up then I’ll finally get around to making some measurements with REW.

Left - Chord Electronics DSP8000 Pre/Processor and Media Engine.

Middle - LG OLED65CX TV, Humax digital set top box, Melco N1A music server, Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray player, Chord Electronics SPM 2400 5 channel power amplifier.

Right - Chord Electronics Red Reference MKIII CD player, CPA 4000 Preamplifier and SPM 1200E power amplifier.

Speakers - B&W N802, N805 & HTM4.

iann

My system is quite simple at the moment:

Minidsp SHD streamer/preamp/room correction
Audiophonics amplifier (Hypex NC252MP)
Wharfedale Evo 4.4s floorstanders

Thinking of adding a SVS SB 1000 pro sub when I can afford it.

Room is 5 X 5 X 2.5m

I have a very similar system now with a miniDSP DDRC-24 into an XTZ A2-300 power amp with Wharfedale Evo 4.3s.

Have simplified a lot lately with a preamp, streamer and probably the DAC going to be sold in favour of the Chromecast Audio direct into the minidsp.

I did get a subwoofer and I'd recommend it. Just started making Dirac adjustments having done EQ via REW and the minidsp until recently.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
So an upgrade to the system replaced my JBL Studio 590 for my front 3 with the RBH SV-831R for my front 3

They are a major upgrade from the 590
But that's not a fair comparison. They are at a much higher price point. The 590 will always be one of my favorite speakers but the RBH is my true love

20210403_230052.jpg
20201011_165303.jpg

danzilla31

Forum Donor

The last few changes were to reduce the box count and for additional features. I also treated myself to a new TV. I’m just waiting for a few more pieces of furniture and some CD storage to turn up then I’ll finally get around to making some measurements with REW.

Left - Chord Electronics DSP8000 Pre/Processor and Media Engine.

Middle - LG OLED65CX TV, Humax digital set top box, Melco N1A music server, Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray player, Chord Electronics SPM 2400 5 channel power amplifier.

Right - Chord Electronics Red Reference MKIII CD player, CPA 4000 Preamplifier and SPM 1200E power amplifier.

Speakers - B&W N802, N805 & HTM4.
I have always loved the look of the B&W's gorgeous speakers

Top Bottom