• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

gvl

Major Contributor
Those clean tidy desks make me mad, because I will never be able to have one :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm likely missing something by not switching to modern speakers, but I'm struggling to find a reason to justify an effort to find out what that is. Well, maybe it the aesthetics :).
Only you can answer that for you. Maybe with an in-home listening test though hard to arrange now a days. They won't be surpassed cheap. I ran the pair of Klipsch La Scala's I purchased new in 1978 for the next 32 years. Only sold them since they wouldn't fit in my new retirement digs here in FL.. :(

gvl

Major Contributor
Only you can answer that for you. Maybe with an in-home listening test though hard to arrange now a days. They won't be surpassed cheap. I ran the pair of Klipsch La Scala's I purchased new in 1978 for the next 32 years. Only sold them since they wouldn't fit in my new retirement digs here in FL.. :(

I do have a mild itch but my kid starts college in the Fall, that will help to keep it under control :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I do have a mild itch but my kid starts college in the Fall, that will help to keep it under control

Yeah, those college bribes must really hurt. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As the morning sun was shining through the windows I managed to get a reasonable photo of mine.
You get to see the sun in the UK? ;)
Nice! Last I knew, very similar to the 5.1 rig Mark Waldrep uses in the AIX studio to monitor & mix his surround recordings.

blackmetalboon

So you guys have some sunny days in the UK as well ...
Very nice setup, indeed !
You get to see the sun in the UK? ;)
Nice! Last I knew, very similar to the 5.1 rig Mark Waldrep uses in the AIX studio to monitor & mix his surround recordings.

We are having some unseasonably good weather at the moment, 13° so almost shorts and T-shirt weather!

I believe Mark Waldrep uses my speakers bigger, older brother. I think @sergeauckland uses the same speakers.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon Receiver AVRX-X3400H (I like the "everything but the kitchen sink" features set and HEOS)
4 Parts Express Powered 15 inch subwoofer
3 JBL LSR 308
2 JBL LSR 304
mini DSP 2 x 4
minDSP 4 x10 HD
In the wings parts for a LinkwitZ LX Mini or LX Mini 2+
BenQ Front Projector
12 feet wide Screen
lOT OF xlr CONNECTORS, RCA CONNECTORS,
Numerous Power Strip bars
Crown 8-CHANNEL pro AMP
Various Peerless drivers for subs )( 8", 10 inches")
Unimik microphone
Behringer Microphone
Behringer ADC/DAC with Phantom Power
Rotel Pre/Pro
Roterl 5 Channel HT amplifier
Onkyo Pre/Pro ( not working gifted it to someone)
Koss ESL Headphones
HDMI over CAT 5 converter
Tektronix Oscilloscope
Simpson analog Voltmeter (NOS)
HP Linear Power Supply on eBay
Various Audioquest and Nordost HDMI and Ethernet Cables Cable ( NOT! NOT! NOT! :p), , Mogami and Belden

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
my HI-FI system from 1972. ELAC Miracord turntable , Dynaco preamp, EICO power amp and Dynaco A25 speakers. out of frame right is a TEAC reel to reel tape deck. sounded great. would love to have it back again.
Very nice, those were the days.
The systems didn't have near the SQ of today, but the hands on involvement in HiFi as a hobby was just so much more fun. Hard to really explain to the younglings here.

picardsflute

First budget setup: iRiver H300 > Keces DA-151 > Littledot MKII > Hafler SE120 > Paradigm Atom Monitor v.6

Refined my palate a bit, still discount shopping:
Rega Planar 3 > Cambridge 640P > Littledot MKIII > IRD MB-100 Monoblocks > Mangepan SMGa/MMG

First headphone setup: Laptop > Littledot DAC_II > Littledot MKIII > Hifiman HE-400

Current headphone setup:
Laptop > Aune X1S > Gilmore Lite MK2 > MrSpeakers Aeon Closed

Have also own/ed: Grado SR60, Grado SR125, Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro, Vmoda Crossfade LP2, Sennheiser HD558, Koss Portapro, AKG 701 (old and new), RHA MA750, Brainwavz S0, Shure SE-215-K, Fiio e10k, Fiio e12k, Dayton DTA-120, Dayton DTA-1, SMSL SA-50, Topping TP22.

Before my current setup I was only buying great deals on used goods/ebay/craigslist, which made for some fun combinations, but I'm done experimenting for now. I currently live on a remote, barely inhabited island in the caribbean, and can't buy/sell like I used to, so I needed ~end-game hardware.

Midwest Blade

Condo System - Yamaha WXC-50, Yamaha A-S301 Integrated Amp, System-Audio 1110 bookshelf speakers. Primarily listening to Tidal and Pandora. Late night listening and music research done via Tidal from my mini iPad with a pair of Grado SR80e headphones.

Second System (located in the country, spring, summer and fall usage) - Technics SL-1800 turntable with Audio Technics AT120eb cartridge, NAD C516bee CD Player, Quad 34/405-2 Pre/Power Amp, Quad ESL 57 speakers. Primarily listening to 90% cd's and about 10% vinyl, no internet so streaming is out. Only have the turntable up and running as I still have about 100 or so albums, started to head down the vinyl road a few years ago but quickly realized I really prefer well produced music on cd.

Not into cables, gadgets or any other foolery and regret buying a pair of fancy speaker cables years ago for the condo system.

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
Two setups at the moment.

Millennial-type setup:
iPhone X
Bose QC35
Subscription to Apple Music

Oldie-type setup:
Yamaha CA-1000 Amp
Pioneer PL1200 Record Player
Both original 1970s, PL1200 has new Nagaoka 71-330 Stylus
Sony SS-K10ED Speakers
Random Audio-Technica wires and banana plugs where occasion calls for it.

Percheron

Hello All,

I’m new here, been lurking for the last few weeks. I’m not “into” audio stuff as much as some, but I’m trying improve things as I can. Really, other than getting a better DAC I’m pretty satisfied with my system. I do more passive listening than critical as with three kids in the house, there’s usually commotion of some sort. I stream Spotify as my primary source.

Anyway, here are the details:

Custom Dynaco 70 clone in the style of a Marshall guitar amp, Gold Lion KT77 power tubes, false speaker cabinet houses components. The amp was built by a guitar amp builder in Tacoma, WA.
Refurbished Yamaha C-60 pre
Parasound zDac
Yamaha CD player.
Klipsch Forte II’s, grill cloth is Marshall “Cane”, to match the false cabinet. Bob Crites tweeter and squawker upgrades.

Attachments

• 13961E3B-D1B6-42BB-95AC-CB0BBDAA0BBB.jpeg
    13961E3B-D1B6-42BB-95AC-CB0BBDAA0BBB.jpeg
    950.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 1B3BCC58-10FC-4AA3-B7F6-4720D8C4B31D.jpeg
    1B3BCC58-10FC-4AA3-B7F6-4720D8C4B31D.jpeg
    703.6 KB · Views: 245

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hello All,

I’m new here, been lurking for the last few weeks. I’m not “into” audio stuff as much as some, but I’m trying improve things as I can. Really, other than getting a better DAC I’m pretty satisfied with my system. I do more passive listening than critical as with three kids in the house, there’s usually commotion of some sort. I stream Spotify as my primary source.

Anyway, here are the details:

Custom Dynaco 70 clone in the style of a Marshall guitar amp, Gold Lion KT77 power tubes, false speaker cabinet houses components. The amp was built by a guitar amp builder in Tacoma, WA.
Refurbished Yamaha C-60 pre
Parasound zDac
Yamaha CD player.
Klipsch Forte II’s, grill cloth is Marshall “Cane”, to match the false cabinet. Bob Crites tweeter and squawker upgrades.

Wow that amp cabinet is cool!

Did you commission the guy to build it? Or did you just somehow find that unicorn?

Percheron

Wow that amp cabinet is cool!

Did you commission the guy to build it? Or did you just somehow find that unicorn?

I commissioned it, he built a guitar amp for me a few years ago. I’ve always loved the look for Marshall amps, those full stacks are so cool. Rola Amplification is his company, he actually works as an commercial electrician and does the amp stuff as a side gig. He builds really nice stuff, top of the line parts. I see you’re in Seattle, PM me if you want his info.

-Derek

Top Bottom