• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

Krunok

Major Contributor
She booked unpaid leave to support the national team at the World Cup..., she’s a keeper that one.

Well, her mandate is near its end so she thought it's a good way to start prepairing of getting another one. In reality she practically has no authorities, something like your royal family, except she's not royal. But she does look nice. :D

But ok, let's keep politics out of this place. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Krunok

Major Contributor
If you rock up to the swimming pool in that assisted living place of yours with salmon patè and a bottle of champagne you will definitely catch you some..

Assisted? Now that seems interesting.. And what exactly is Sal getting assistance for? :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sure, I understand. But can you rely on Thomas not to tell? Looking at that big mouth of his I wouldn't be so sure if I were you.. :p
There's an ole saying that,
Three men can keep a secret,
If two are dead. :eek:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
@Sal1950, have you noticed that Thomas D. Savage (D like discretion) changed avatar to something quite fancy?
Yep, he's wearing pink pants.
Wonder what he's trying to tell us? :eek:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Krunok

Major Contributor

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My room is 16x20' with 11' ceilings and my home-built speaker cabinets are nearly 6 cubic feet (15"b, 6"m, 7x10" Tractrix horn tweets - highly efficient pro drivers). This is my main studio space, no room for them on the floor so for the past 26 years they have been suspended from the ceiling with eye bolts and 5/8" chain and are 3.5' from the rear wall and 1.5' from sidewalls. Additionally, I have a home-built 15" Dayton sub pushed by a bridged Crown XLS and another 10" Sony sub for under the desk. It's a workspace where I spend most of my time, nothing has to be pretty, just has to sound really good (and loud when I need it to be to drown out presses in the next room when I'm printing). The equipment sits next to my built in desk with iMac but I move around a lot when I'm working so I'm after a wider dispersion and good off-axis response as I design these things for the room.

room.jpg old pic
speakerb copy.jpg current incarnation

Currently rebuilding the baffles on the speakers and adding some additional (switchable) small cabinets to hold new 6" Eminence mids and Fountek NeoCD3.5 ribbons to fly on the inside edge of the big boxes.

The core of the system has to be my miniDSP 2x8 used as an active XO - Build Link

2013 iMac (iTunes, Vox, & BitPerfect when it works) but previously Mac minis, a Mac Pro and a couple hackintosh rigs.
Topping D10 DAC (with home built esoteric USB cable;))
PS Audio 6.2 straightwire preamp
2x NAD 2200PE amps bridged for bass drivers
AMC 2445 2/4 channel for tweets
home-built class D amps for mids
the aforementioned Crown XLS 1500 bridged for sub
NAD T515 (for that occasional CD I want to check out but maybe not rip)
cheap BT 4.1 receiver for guests who insist on playing me something from their phone
Technics SL-D2 w/ Sure M97XE cart
Schitt Mani phono pre
12/3 Home Depot power cords for speaker wire (28 foot runs of wire x7 :eek:)
Revelation ICs (because I got a hella' deal on them)
Furman M-8x power conditioner (fancy power strip)

Several home-built tube buffer pre's that aren't really used that much but fun to run into the tape mon loop on the PS Audio pre and somewhat re-experience my obsession with tube amps and vast 12A*7 collection.

Isoblocks on most things (who knows if they work but makes stacked stuff equally spaced)

Scarlett 2i2 & Dayton EMM-6 mic for measurements via REW and FuzzMeasure

The birds eye maple thing in the middle is the miniDSP 2x8 enclosure with the class D amps in the enclosure below it. Other amps and Furman are hidden under desk in a crude rack. All this gear is at the other long end of the room facing the speakers and books fill the space above and sides of most of the space - effective room treatment and they have been know to expand the mind in other ways....

IMG_5823sm.jpg

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My room is 16x20' with 11' ceilings and my home-built speaker cabinets are nearly 6 cubic feet (15"b, 6"m, 7x10" Tractrix horn tweets - highly efficient pro drivers). This is my main studio space, no room for them on the floor so for the past 26 years they have been suspended from the ceiling with eye bolts and 5/8" chain and are 3.5' from the rear wall and 1.5' from sidewalls. Additionally, I have a home-built 15" Dayton sub pushed by a bridged Crown XLS and another 10" Sony sub for under the desk. It's a workspace where I spend most of my time, nothing has to be pretty, just has to sound really good (and loud when I need it to be to drown out presses in the next room when I'm printing). The equipment sits next to my built in desk with iMac but I move around a lot when I'm working so I'm after a wider dispersion and good off-axis response as I design these things for the room.

View attachment 14037 old pic
View attachment 14038 current incarnation

Currently rebuilding the baffles on the speakers and adding some additional (switchable) small cabinets to hold new 6" Eminence mids and Fountek NeoCD3.5 ribbons to fly on the inside edge of the big boxes.

The core of the system has to be my miniDSP 2x8 used as an active XO - Build Link

2013 iMac (iTunes, Vox, & BitPerfect when it works) but previously Mac minis, a Mac Pro and a couple hackintosh rigs.
cheap BT 4.1 receiver for guests who insist on playing me something from their phone
Schitt Mani phono pre

Several home-built tube buffer pre's that aren't really used that much but fun to run into the tape mon loop on the PS Audio pre and somewhat re-experience my obsession with tube amps and vast 12A*7 collection.

Isoblocks on most things (who knows if they work but makes stacked stuff equally spaced)

The birds eye maple thing in the middle is the miniDSP 2x8 enclosure with the class D amps in the enclosure below it. Other amps and Furman are hidden under desk in a crude rack. All this gear is at the other long end of the room facing the speakers and books fill the space above and sides of most of the space - effective room treatment and they have been know to expand the mind in other ways....

View attachment 14040

Just curious if you heard any radio stations through your Mani?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/schiit-mani-radio-interference.514500/

Nice room!

garbulky

Major Contributor

View attachment 14037 old pic
View attachment 14038 current incarnation

Schitt Mani phono pre

View attachment 14040
Have you considered angling those speakers downward towards your ears?

bakker_be

What used to be my main listening room, dimensions in centimeters. This is from the planning stage, Never made it to a full 5.1 setup because of becoming completely smitten with a pair of speakers way outside of the initial budget :p
Living_Room.jpg

I did get the Pioneer Kuro, a Marantz surround receiver (SR5004) and a pair of TMA Audio Premium 905 (https://www.stassen.nl/luidsprekers/luidspreker/tma-premium-905). After a couple of years I added the Premium 901 (https://www.stassen.nl/luidsprekers/luidspreker/tma-premium-901) as a center speaker and the BK Electronics Monolith Plus FF subwoofer. Music player is a Squeezebox Touch, video is a PC running LibreElec (Kodi) + an Android TV thingy for Netflix.
When re-purposing our attic into a master bedroom I've managed to eke out some space & budget for myself and in that space I now have a HP Envy X2 connected to a Topping D10 + A30 feeding Focal Elear headphones. Music players on there are Tidal, Spotify + Squeezelite-X.
As you can tell I don't do physical media anymore, so all data resides on a Ubuntu headless server, running on an UP-board, which runs Logitech Media Server, SQL server for the distributed Kodi DB, MusicIP Server (abandonware which serves to create acoustically coherent mixes from my personal music collection, still unmatched by any system I've ever tried). Attached to this are 3 DAS enclosures (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00ORENYJE) for a total of 32TB of storage. Of this only my music (±4TB) , pictures and books/comics are backed up to Crashplan. All other data is expendable :p
I have some other assorted stuff all over the house:
  • NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 MK2 bookshelf speakers + Acer Iconia Tab A700 using Squeeze Ctrl in the kitchen
  • Ipad 1 + Squeezepad + an old Yamaha receiver + JAMO 30cm in-ceiling speakers in my wife's beadmaking workshop
  • HP Spectre X360 + Cyrus Soundkey + various IEM's for late night (as in without disturbing anyone) music + TV series/films/Netflix ...
  • Xiaomi Bluetooth IEM's (AptX) for working out and doing chores in the garden etc ... coupled to my Huawei P20 Pro

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alas, at age 76 and living as a retired expat in a little mountain town in Western Panama, my system is now limited to an Intel NUC and NAS as a source, SMSL Sanskrit 6th DAC, a Topping PA3 amplifier, and a pair of Paradigm Atom v6 monitors. However, for this period of my "senior" years, such a system still plays music well enough to please me.

Over the years I had s lot of fun buying, selling, and listening for many hours to systems with a variety of sources, electronics and speakers, some of which are in the pictures below. (Not all pics are of my gear, but from 1958 to 2012, I owned all of these components and more. I'm collecting pics for sentimental reasons.)

DVH Audio COmponent History.JPG

ESS AMT-1 Heil.jpg
ESS AMT-1T.jpg
ADS-L810 Speakers.JPG

Apogee 3.jpg

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Alas, at age 76 and living as a retired expat in a little mountain town in Western Panama, my system is now limited to an Intel NUC and NAS as a source, SMSL Sanskrit 6th DAC, a Topping PA3 amplifier, and a pair of Paradigm Atom v6 monitors. However, for this period of my "senior" years, such a system still plays music well enough to please me.

Over the years I had s lot of fun buying, selling, and listening for many hours to systems with a variety of sources, electronics and speakers, some of which are in the pictures below. (Not all pics are of my gear, but from 1958 to 2012, I owned all of these components and more. I'm collecting pics for sentimental reasons.)

View attachment 14983
View attachment 14984 View attachment 14987 View attachment 14988
View attachment 14989

Lots of air motion transformers amongst those systems! What do you think of them generally?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Henceforth, all listening postions (aka Sweet Spot) shall be referred to as:

sweet spot.JPG

Luisterpositie. I love it! Even better is De ideale Luisterpositie. Gotta love the language.

:)

Top Bottom