• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I did a thing...

Secondary system.jpeg

Component list:

Secondary system components.001.png

The components in this system have evolved quite a bit over the past 7 or 8 months, without admittedly ever being completely dialed in. The subs were the only constant.

Speakers evolved from NHT XdS satellites on 32” Kanto stands (the stock stands are pretty but too damn short; the retainer bolt on the Kanto SP32 stands is the same size and threading as the threaded rod in the factory stands) to NHT C3 on Monoprice Monolith 32” stands to these.

Electronics started as miniDSP SHD Studio feeding a miniDSP 10x10HD over AES digital, with the 10x10HD acting as controller and DAC However, I wanted both Dirac and a 12V trigger to switch the power outlets (Panamax 4315 power box thingy with their BlueBolt CV-2 card to give individual outlet triggers and on/off delays), and the Yamaha streamer/pre free when we changed that system from separates to stereo OG HomePods. I picked C-DSP 8x12DL instead of one of their home targeted units is because it’s the only available 5+ channel speaker controller with Dirac and coax/optical digital input. Also it has higher SNR than 10x10HD, though that wasn't an issue here. It does only have RCA outs, but it can still drive the NC400s to full output because the RCA outs have ridiculous car audio output voltage. PS is an external Meanwell 12V SMPS.

This system is still not dialed in yet by any means - I recently received the Gem2's, and only last weekend dressed the speaker cables and ran them up the pedestals. (Running cables to these is a bit of a PITA, the flip side of concealing everything.) I plan to start with a Lyngdorf-style setup - speakers against the wall (the thin Gem2’s are a good match for this approach) with fairly high crossover to “boundary woofers.” As I have the time to get this system really dialed in I’ll post in that thread. I'd prefer to have the media cabinet somewhere else, but there's nowhere else in this room to put it unfortunately.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @jhaider,

Really interesting approach since I recently did rather intensive time-domain (time alignment or relative delay) measurements and adjustments (in 1 msec and 0.1 msec precision) in my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo system using my own primitive but reliable reproducible methods excluding any blackbox-type process usually included in advanced audio analysis software.

If you would be interested, please visit these posts in my project thread.

- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-1_ Precision pulse wave matching method: #493
- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-2_ Energy peak matching method: #494
- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-3_ Precision single sine wave matching method in 0.1 msec accuracy: #504, #507
- Perfect (0.1 msec precision) time alignment of all the SP drivers greatly contributes to amazing disappearance of SPs, tightness and cleanliness of the sound, and superior 3D sound stage: #520

Please simply PM me, if you would be really interested in trying these measurements and adjustments using the test tone signals I prepared (which can be shared with you).

As @zergxia wrote here and here, some of the advanced DSP software (in his case Equalizer APO) do not always give accurate room air sound time domain (delay) values.

Do you have any plan to objectively measure (using separate/independent microphone+audio interface+PC) the time alignments between all of your SP drivers as well as L-to-R at your listening position?

I also found that time alignment adjustment and "FQ spectrum analysis by Adobe Audition" are much useful for decision of cross-over Fq between sub-woofer and woofer in our multichannel audio system like I shared in my post here and here.

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
cute
....well, except for that stuff on the walls, i could never stand it :rolleyes: (tried scratching it from the walls in my last flat, to no avail...just plastered over the goddamn stuff)

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
yeah, well not in the EU,,,
i was desperately searching for an A21+ but couldn't find it in stock and elsewhere the delivery dates kept being pushed further&further down the line

guess a NAD C298 will have to do for now :rolleyes:

1653079886066.png

and no, the E30 ain't staying there, a RME is being ordered in a few days

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
guess a NAD C298 will have to do for now
I like the NAD C298 ($2400@180W) and had it as a future prospect in my list.
Love the additional Pre-Outs for running a sub, center, etc.
Then, I realized that buying two C268 ($1000@80W) was a better deal because the NADs are bridgeable.
You save yourself $440, give up 20W but gain another 2 Pre-Outs... if I am doing the math right.:facepalm:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
msrp over here is between 2000-2200€ but i got for less than 1700
the 268 is hypex's ucd if i remember correctly? this one's the purifi, so yeah, there's a premium on the price tag

Gary_G

View attachment 199679

Focal Aria 926
Parasound A23+ amp
Sony DA2400ES (for now) to be preplaced with Parasound P6
Roku (for now) to be replaced with Bluesound Node
Sony BDP-S3700 Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi®
OK, Parasound P6 Preamplifier came in.

Attachments

• stereo hookups.png
    stereo hookups.png
    487.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC02649.JPG
    DSC02649.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ATC SCM19v2 (cherry) vs Kef LS50 (black) vs Kef LS50 Meta (copper).
View attachment 204454
After some time i decided to sell the KEF LS50 and ATC SCM19v2 and keep the LS50 Meta.

The difference between the Meta and the ATC are only in the bass and i can fix that with a sub. I still have a pair 6.5" Purifi woofers and am still waiting for other parts.
I think i'll build myself a 19l volume, 80cm "stand" for LS50 Meta, put the Purifi woofer in and use it to offload everything under 300Hz or so using the MiniDSP Flex and a spare Yamaha R-S700 amp.

Payed 1500€ used for the ATC, maybe i get my money back entirely :cool:

Last edited:

Eddy

This is my current setup... And I hope that in the near future I will concentrate more on listening to music and not on optimizing the system.

Distance from speakers: 1,1 m
Room size: 2x3 m

I have now set up Dirac Live in my miniDSP Flex and I have to say: wow! It is very impressive how precise and crisp the sound becomes. But I can imagine that many high-end audio guys don't strive for such a transparent sound image at all, but rather a more immersive one.

Hifi-Setup.png

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello ASR friends,

I completed my DIY of 12-VU-Meter Array using the nice NISHIZAWA R-65 VU meter with large glass-face (face size 100Wx40H mm) and high-grade 2700K LED illumination;
WS003747.JPG

WS003746.JPG

If you would be interested, please visit my post here on my project thread for the details;
- My nostalgia and preference for large glass-face VU meters: DIY of 12-VU-Meter Array in multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo audio system: #535 on the project thread.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't start ...unless... of course... you promise to keep it updated.
Sure, i'll try.
1653761953515.gif

I did it!

hifi.png

Obvious problems right now:
  1. I gave my DIY sub to a friend, he likes it and i may have to build another one for me
  2. Didn't have the time to get MDF for the Purifi stands yet, it's a todo.
  3. I need some kind of pre-amp to connect my Yamaha sources to the MiniDSP.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm waiting for your masterpiece first.
Although this topic has been discussed previously and although I have given you all the free advice that I can << it would be better if you hire dualazmak as your consultant on this project because you could not afford me!:D
Here is your bonus FREEbie: Include an accurate 'grounding/bonding' layer as a part of your own masterpiece.
My 'engineering release' level drawings have always been created in Visio (2D CAD) before MicroSoft bought them out and clipped Visio's wings.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 'engineering release' level drawings have always been created in Visio (2D CAD) before MicroSoft bought them out and clipped Visio's wings.
Just show us what you got, mate, no need to be shy, we are all just audio nerds around here. :cool:

I made the drawing in Libreoffice Draw, a free office suite. Draw roughly offers Visio functionality, and i guess you would feel right at home. I drew this in about half an hour, most of which i wasted with getting the arrows under control.

I guess @dualazmak uses Visio or Draw as well?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess @dualazmak uses Visio or Draw as well?

As I wrote here in detail, I use Microsoft PowerPoint.

I am just updating the system configuration diagrams having the DIY 12-VU-Meter Array in those; will be posted/shared in a few days...

Top Bottom