• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

The kit we bought, our current setups

RichB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am curious to read what you think about the LA4.
I like that you wrote the dimensions of your room as well: The room must be bigger than the impression we get from the photo.
Here is the shot from the rear of the room:

MainFromRearFeb2020.jpg

The LA4 is great at disappearing. I like having the cleanest path when using either the RMC-1 (on one input) and the Oppo UDP-205 XLR.
I did some comparison sending the Oppo though the RMC-1 in Reference Stereo mode and there were times I felt the LA4 was a bit more extended. However, this could be that the LA4 was more accurately attenuating at some levels.

- Rich

Midwest Blade

Think I have already posted about my current two set ups, so here are the things (I remember) having been in and out of my systems since the early 80's.

Mitsubishi DA-A7DC Power Amp
AES? Pre Amp I cannot remember any details other than the brand, was really not that good and did not last that long.
Micro Seiki BL 51 Turntable w/Fidelity Research Tonearm, no idea what cartridge.
Audionics BT-2 Pre Amp
Audionics CC-2 Power Amp
IMF Electronics ALS-30 Loudspeakers (real beauties, why oh why did I ever...)
Mission PCM 4000 CD Player
Thorens TD 126 MkIV Turntable with a Souther Linear Arm - the arm is gone and I still have the table, working fine just in the closet.
Accoustic Research M-1 Bookshelf Speakers, these were imaging monsters that sounded pretty fine. Passed them on to a close friend's son who was moving for his first job after college graduation.

Also had a DJ set up, but kept that off the list.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
This is my main system in the living room.
View attachment 51133 View attachment 51134 View attachment 51136
View attachment 51161

Speakers and Amps: Salon2's 1 AHB2 each bi-amped, Voice2 AHB2 Bi-amped, and Studio2 AHB2 (rear) not shown here.
Processor/Preamp: Emotiva RMC-1 (multi-channel), Benchmark LA4 for stereo
Video: TiVo Bolt+ (via HDFury), HTPC Brix I5, Apple TV 4K
2- Channel: Roon via HTPC DAC -> Oppo UPD-205 -> LA4
Display: LG 77C9
Cables: BlueJeans XLR, RuipPro Hybrid Fiber HDMI, BlueJeans 10 Gauge speaker

My room is 15' x 30' x 8' to 14' sloped ceiling.
The seating position is about 13' so all speaker are equidistant.

- Rich
That's a seriously impressive setup. Do you mind my asking what you use to switch the Salon2s from the Benchmark for 2ch to the Emotiva for Mch? Sorry if that's remedial but it's an issue I've been wrestling with as I come up to speed on how to optimize my own rig for both.

RichB

Forum Donor
That's a seriously impressive setup. Do you mind my asking what you use to switch the Salon2s from the Benchmark for 2ch to the Emotiva for Mch? Sorry if that's remedial but it's an issue I've been wrestling with as I come up to speed on how to optimize my own rig for both.
The LA4 XLR output is connected to the AHB2s. One LA4 input is from the Oppo UDP-205 and the other is from the Front L/R from the RMC-1. The LA4 does not allow for discrete input selection but Benchmark support helps me set it up so that it selected the Oppo input then select next for the RMC-1 input. It's a bit of a kludge but works. I sent a request to Rory at Benchmark and he said that they would look into providing discrete input selection.

Here is the path for the main channels:

Multi-Channell: RMC-1 FL/FR XLR -> Benchmark LA4 XLR input (Fixed gain) -> AHB2's

2-Channel: Roon Server BRIX PC -> Oppo UDP-205 USB DAC Input -> Benchmark LA4 XLR input -> AHB2's

So for 2 channel, I have no processing.

- Rich

Last edited:

RichB

Forum Donor
I just completed revamping the game room 2-channel system:

Oppo UDP-205 for Roon music streaming only
Benchmark AHB2
Revel M126Be's
Martin Logan Grotto i subwoofer

IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg

My wife complained about the wires so I went totally overboard and built a cubbyhole self into the wall that has power, gigabit LAN, HDFury Vertex2 (for TiVo mini 4K, Oppo, and PC) video switching. Video is connected by 30 and 45 foot Ruipro hybrid fiber HDMI cables.

There is 2 inch PVC condiut for the wires.
The shelves are made of hard-pine stairing from home depot :p

I am still looking for small footprint Roon Ready DAC to replace the Oppo.

- Rich

DonH56

Technical Expert
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
A happy Pink Panther on the top shelf would complete the look... :)

TimVG

Forum Donor
View from the couch. Pictured are some Revel speakers, a BD player, a Samsung TV, part of a PC and a bunch of amplifiers. Not pictured are some subwoofers (there's a glimpse of one left of the Revel speaker), more Revels, buttkickers, signal processors, another amplifier, and a little lamp.

20200310_150722.jpg

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
View from the couch. Pictured are some Revel speakers, a BD player, a Samsung TV, part of a PC and a bunch of amplifiers. Not pictured are some subwoofers (there's a glimpse of one left of the Revel speaker), more Revels, buttkickers, signal processors, another amplifier, and a little lamp.

View attachment 53968
Great.

RichB

Forum Donor
A happy Pink Panther on the top shelf would complete the look... :)
The pink panther is so 80's. We have moved on to baby Yoda.

GameRoomBabyYoda.jpg

- Rich

Last edited:

DonH56

Technical Expert
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Reminds that Brian sent me Rythmik logos but I've yet to put them on my subs...

HemiRick

My Rig. VMPS Super Tower II RS/SE speakers, (2)VMPS subs (1 not in pic), Integra 30.4 AVR, Parasound HCA2200, Behringer NX 3000, Also not shown is other amp (QSC RMX1450) for unseen sub. There is also a HDminiDSP.

Oh I forgot, my music is all on a harddrive in a Win 10 puter streaming to a Raspberry Pi with an ALLo Boss DAC hat, obviously going into the AVR, which I just use as a preamp as it has a full set of preouts.
DSCF3592 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Just so you don't have to wait too long, what's your opinion of them?

Do they have characteristics that belong in the "foo" category, or is that reserved for things that you aren't sure even work?

I'm still making cables from the scrap heap. They're oil-resistant, that's a plus.

View attachment 4071

Some foo not in the picture - a HomeDepot wooden paint stir stick (free) jammed vertically between the terminals.
Can you point me towards the terminals you used here?

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Asylum Seeker

20200313_085654.jpg

Last edited:

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
The bloody cat has ruined all chances of ever having my speakers back so I'm headphone only.

Cans:
Grado PS1000 and GS1000
HD800
Beyer T1 (v2)
Denon D7000 and a few more

Amps:
THX789
Geshelli Archel 2.5
Schiit Mjolnir
Heed Canamp

DAC:
SMSL M500 (USB from laptop)
Cambridge Audio CXN v2 streamer (Also hooked up by USB to laptop)
I have a pair of Clements RT7s in the basement I bought used from a guy who completely wrapped them in wire screening(and hundreds of staples) underneath the cloth cover. Doubt it was near being acoustically transparent, but it was cat proof and looked fine - stylistically like the Von Schweikerts with wrap around cover. Speakers were quite cheap thanks to his modifications.

Fortunately, my cat is nearly blind and only scratches carpets and an ugly chair...unfortunately, I have a cat.

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom