• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

The kit we bought, our current setups

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Don’t laugh at my cable organization! I like my sh!t neat.
Room size is 13.5x23.5x7.75
Naw, I won't make fun of your cable risers, etc. :p
I envy that room, a perfect size to set up an awesome HiFi
Thanks for posting the photos, I enjoy looking at the members various rigs.
Have fun with that great system.

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This is my current two channel rig. Always looking for ways to tweak performance (without spending ridiculous sums of cash).
Welcome to Audio Science Review!
Those are beautiful stands, are the store bought or custom made?

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks. Made them myself, African Padauk.
I thought they had the "custom" look. Hard to find stuff in that style done in such beautiful wood.
Great Job!!!

No photos.

Source - Desktop PC
DAC - SMSL M8
Pre Amp - Nakamichi Soundspace 10
Power Amps - Counterpoint NPM Hybrids
Speakers Aurum Cantus F6600

I'd like to change to a proper pre-amp as the Nakamichi is a surround sound system.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm finally fed up with looking for a replacement power amplifier for my venerable Luxman L-3. One channel would make a disconcerting "crumpling paper" noise whenever I shut the unit down. A current surge, perhaps. This unit has no protection relays.

Meanwhile one of the speakers started buzzing at high volume. A drive coil is rubbing on the magnet, it seems. What can I say - they're from the mid 80's.

New system:
Laptop -> Steinberg UR22C -> Yamaha HS8

The rationale behind this new system is quite simple. I figured that instead of trying to cut through all the snake oil in order to find a good power amplifier, I'd simply let the speaker designers do the job for me. Hence, the powered monitors.

In terms of DAC I initially wanted something along the lines of Topping D70. The final selection of the Steinberg unit is mostly because of cost, but also because the Steinberg is one of the few USB audio interfaces to offer 32-bit audio. Now I'm not saying 32-bit sounds better than 24-bit; it just makes me feel better.

Also the Steinberg has a built-in volume knob. I would have needed to buy a separate monitor controller (a volume knob) if I bought a simple balanced DAC instead of an audio interface.

Now let's hope that Yamaha quality lasts me a few years.

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum having lurked for about a month. I thought I would introduce myself by posting my current setup. I dont think I am the target audience for this forum as it seems focused on audio with DACs and super-clean amps and I am focused on HT. Two years ago my basement flooded when a pipe froze and burst. That gave me the opportunity to build a small (14' x 12' x 7') home theater.

Audio:
  • When I built the room I designed for Atmos 7.x.4 with in-wall speakers for all but L/C/R using HTD HD-W65 in-wall speakers. Admittedly the room is a bit small for the four ceiling speakers (rear two ceiling speakers are closer than I would like to the back wall) but it does sound good.
  • The front sound stage is delivered by the HTD Level 3 Towers and Level 3 Center speaker. I went with HTD for all the speakers trying to get decent performance at a tolerable price point. I am considering building a new front soundstage from DIY Soundgroup. Maybe the HTM-10s.
  • I built 3 x PE UM15-22 sealed subwoofers using Parts Express kits and am running them off 3 channels of two Crown XLS 2502 amps with a miniDSP HD for integration. With room response I have pretty nice bass frequency response, flat from about 6Hz to 100hz. I use REW and a UMIK to generate the filters, then run Audyssey to integrate and room correct the rest of the speakers and turn the subs back up after :)
  • Audio processing is provided by a Denon 4300 into three Outlaw M2200 monoblocks for the front soundstage (L/C/R) and an old Yamaha AX-592 for SL and SR (bypassing pre-amp stage). Rear surrounds and Atmos ceiling speakers are running off the AVR.
  • For streaming audio I have a sonos connect (no amp) running into the AVR and also use airplay from my phone to the AVR.
  • I have done some room treatments using 2' x 4' GIK 242 Acoustic panels at L & R main reflection points, 2' x 2' panels flanking the L & R surrounds, and a 2' x 4' panel horizontally on the rear wall behind the MLP. I have thick carpeting & a thick shag rug on the floor.
Video:
  • JVC RS620 projector to 100" Stewart ST100 Screen at 10' seating distance with four seats
  • Panasonic UB900 Blu Ray player, Roku Premier+ and Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242 for HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping
I have been surprised at the reviews of amplifiers on the forum - I understand that based on my usage the Denon AVR, Outlaw monoblocs and Yamaha amp are sufficient and I probably wont hear any difference compared to the Purifi and Hypex products that are garnering such great reviews, so i am sitting on my hands and keeping my credit card in my wallet for the time being!

Changes I might consider making are room treatments and more DIY speakers for L/C/R. The room is small and owing to access to a mechanical room (furnace, water heater, etc) is laid out asymmetrically which isnt great for acoustics. I have the 7 panels on the side and rear walls but would like to do something like a fabric wall system to add more absorption but then I would have to rip everything apart and spend more $$$ so it will probably stay as-is ... maybe I'll get a few more panels. I do not have a great handle on how to use REW to figure out what treatments would benefit the room in which locations. This seems like more of a dark art than doing sweeps and building filters in REW to get good room response and integrate mains with subs, etc.

I'm enjoying following the threads on the forum. I have a BS in Elec. Eng. but went into software and then sales so embarrassingly dont have a great handle on how the discrete circuitry works. I am reading up though and it is interesting - I know I had a class at one point where I learned what a "long tail pair" was. I am looking at building a simple amp kit from Neurochrome to get back into it. Maybe the LM3886DR in stereo configuration for some DIY bookshelf speakers in my living room. I appreciate everyone's expertise and contribution.

Thanks!
David

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I just joined the forum having lurked for about a month. I thought I would introduce myself by posting my current setup. I dont think I am the target audience for this forum as it seems focused on audio with DACs and super-clean amps and I am focused on HT.
Welcome David!
Although a large percentage of our gear reviews are based on the search for great measuring 2 ch components, lots of HT and Multich music gear has been deeply reviewed and many members here including myself share the same interest as you. @Kal Rubinson of Stereophile "In The Round" fame is a very active member here. The "target audience" here is simply folks that are interested in finding out which pieces of gear can supply SOTA measurements and how it's been accomplished. We all hope the old trickle down theory will come to play after the weak are revealed.
You are most welcome here and we encourage other multich enthusiasts to join in if they enjoy perusing the objectivist side of life. ;)

My meager rig/room his here,
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sals-system.614/

Hi sorry I’m not in the same league as most of you :) my stuff was bought in 1998

Musical Fidelity A220
Myriad MC100 (1996 single bit DAC variant).
Castle Harlechs

Too short of space and the Mrs and I have very different musical tastesso most of the time it’s Mac mini + AGK 240mkII.

Looking to add a dac/headphone amp then upgrade the headphones when the AGKs finally kick the bucket.

I have mrs approval + funds for a soekris, however this may be later in the year personal reasons.

Another lurker who finally signed up. I'm in the process of overhauling my system and look forward to pretty pictures when the theater room is finished...if it ever is. This is one of the few places where I could imagine people saying "well, that's not the most complicated thing I've ever heard of"

Sources: Pro-ject Xperience, low use; Oppo 105, medium; Bluesound Node, heavy; Oppo 203, biding its time
Pre(s): Krell HTS 7.1 for multichannel; DEQX HDP-4 as stereo pre, speaker correction, active crossovers. Room correction eventually as well
DAC(s): from the digital outputs of the DEQX, 2 SMSL M500
Amps: Wyred4Sound SX-1000 monoblocks for the bass, Hafler 9505 and Fosgate Audionics 500.2 (read: facelifted Hafler 9505 after Fosgate bought them out) for the mid/tweets, Rotel 1095 for multichannels
Speakers: dual Rythmik F18s, Magnepan 20s, CCR, DWM(s), and MMC2

Bonus system: PC>SMSL SU8 V2>
Monoprice Monolith THX887>HD800
or
Behringer Monitor 1 (dat knob)>random Yamaha stereo receiver>Mini Maggies

Future plans, short term and not so short:
Dedicated listening/theater room, about 19x22x12, currently being drawn up.
Trial Roon after upgrading my QNAP as much as possible
I'm very tempted to go full 3-way active on the speakers, which would mean either another DEQX in a master-slave configuration, or alternatively maybe a Minidsp SHD. Pretty much on hold till a cheap used DEQX pops up, or Dirac Bass Management Module is up and running
-either of the above should allow 4 sub management, so 2 more subs. Given the sheer size, this is probably pending on the finished new room
New amps, ideally Hypex NC500s on mids and maybe tweets, maybe a Benchmark AHB2 for tweets. Budget skews distastefully amp heavy in that scenario, though. Probably class D for the rest of the multichannel too
Okto Dac8- currently experiencing difficulties in getting Krell and DEQX to play nice. Could keep the latter at line level as a makeshift HT bypass and...I just realized this is still tricky. Hmm... well, the Okto still saves me a couple boxes and more importantly, power outlets. Sooo many cables back there
New processor with Dirac, ideally digital outputs (unlikely), and probably Atmos. Monoprice HTP-1 looks compelling, pending Dirac Bass Module.
-some mix of MMC2s and MC1s for remaining surround and height channels

Hopefully, someday before I die, my Smyth Realiser A16 preorder will finally be delivered. Fingers crossed

warm greetings everyone-

became a lurking member here months ago, but only recently began posting (this is my 2nd).
it’s so nice to have a forum where objectivity and analysis is at the core.

been getting my hands dirty in hi-fi since my high school days back in the 70s.
started with a yamaha CR-400 receiver, garrard turntable, and epicure speakers.
later that decade i assembled two heathkits: AA-1800 amp, and AP-1800 pre.
they were fed by a dual turntable and revox B77 r-to-r, and they powered
a pair of speakerlab S30 speaks (with nestorovic bass alignment), built from kits.

got into digital in the 90s via audio alchemy (and dusty vawter’s (channel island) mods),
with their dacs, de-jitterers, power supply upgrades, and I2S connections.
digital pursued further, along with room correction, in the 00s via Tact 2.2x “pre” and S2150 digi amps.

currently using an auralic vega (original) as my digital hub, directly feeding four channels
of a bryston 9B-thx (slid the middle channel out) to bi-amp a pair of gradient helsinki 1.5s.
sources for the vega: apple tv3 toslink, oppo bdp-103 dig-out, kanexpro haecoax de-embedder,
usb, and spdif coming in from MF vlink 192 and audiophilleo usb converters- the vega’s exact
clock mode prefers a long spdif run over a long usb cable run.
all the gear gets its common power from from a cinepro balanced power transformer (i.e., -60 - 0 - +60).

in the future, for hobby fun, i may try to use only the ‘sinki’s bass speakers to provide the
bottom freq’s for some jbl synthesis sam1hf/sam2lf modules (bought off ebay awhile back),
all x-over’d using my minidsp nano-digi/microphone/REW and additional dac/amp channels.
it ain’t gonna be pretty, but curious how that “fast dipole bass” would team up with very
efficient upper bass, mids and tweeters.

have a great 2020, and a big thanks to amir for hosting this party.
cheers

Last edited:
Welcome, @Alt-Wrong
It seems like one of us is the evil twin of the other; I've been contemplating crossing my more efficient subs higher to my terribly inefficient fast dipole upper bass, mids, and tweeters. Crossovers are fairly difficult. I can't yet say I recommend it, but if you're in this fair that probably shouldn't stop you. It's a while new exciting/terrifying world of tweaking.

Welcome, @Alt-Wrong
It seems like one of us is the evil twin of the other; I've been contemplating crossing my more efficient subs higher to my terribly inefficient fast dipole upper bass, mids, and tweeters. Crossovers are fairly difficult. I can't yet say I recommend it, but if you're in this fair that probably shouldn't stop you. It's a while new exciting/terrifying world of tweaking.
thanks for the welcome, OG.
the maggies, combined with those 18” sealed subs, should have absolutely no
problem whatsoever reproducing “scale”.
i was just looking at stereophile’s mg-20 review earlier in the day...
https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-mg-20-loudspeaker
...and thought gradient’s nero dipole subs,
a stacked vertical pair on each side (SW-D),
would make a nice dipole-to-dipole pairing with the maggies...
http://www.gradient.fi/en/loudspeakers/11-gradient-xo-amp.html
...the nero’s taking over at 200hz and relieving the 20s from their low-end load.
probably not going to pressurize the room the way the F18s will,
but the result should be deeply articulate.

RickSanchez

This is my vinyl / FM setup. Orders of magnitude more budget than most setups posted here (all in I paid well under $1k) and nowhere near the same SQ. But I enjoy it.

• Turntable: Rega RP1 (with the perf pack upgrade, which includes the Rega Bias 2 MM cartridge).
  • Integrated Amp: harman/kardon hk670 (circa 1979)
  • Speakers: KLH Model Six (circa 1969). I have the later model where the woofer is attached via screws, not epoxy.
  • Speaker wire: Monoprice 12AWG copper wire

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6446.jpg

Martin

IMG-0491.jpg
Opera Consonance LP-2.0 turntable, Mørch UP-4 tonearm & Grado Reference Sonata 2 moving iron cartridge.

IMG-0493.jpg

Topping DX7s DAC, 2GB Raspberry Pi 4 running Volumio, Pro-Ject Phono Box RS phono preamp.

IMG-0488.jpg
Little Bear MC3 2-IN-2-OUT XLR/RCA audio switch (not in use), Yisheng relay based volume controller, YS-Audio Audio Experience Balanced A2 preamp, Squeaky Clean Vinyl MK-III RCM 3D Printed Record Cleaner and my record collection. Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones (not pictured).

IMG-0486.jpg
Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers, DIY 1000ASP ICEpower monoblocks & Tube Fantasy 300B PSET monoblocks.

Martin

Last edited:

raistlin65

Sorry. No pics.

Living room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX, Sierra Horizon Center with Raal, Sierra 1, Power Sound Audio V1510 and V1512, Denon X4200W, Nvidia Shield Pro (2019)

Office: PSB Imagine XB, ICEpower ICE125ASX2, JDS Labs Atom, Topping D50S

Bedroom: KEF Q150, Cambridge Audio CXA60, Fiio X5 MKII

Top Bottom