• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The JungSon JA-1/JA-99C preamp and amp combo.

wje

Forum Donor
I caught that review on YouTube this morning and it certainly got me a bit curious. Though, I'm not too sure about the quoted prices in the video. I found just the amp for about $1,300 from one of the Chinese importer sites. Though, 60 Lbs. for that beast of an amp that could get to 120 w.p.c. Wow!

Edit: From the review, it sounded like the mid-range was a bit more forward than other typical combinations. Then again, it's hard to tell if the pre-amplifier is producing that sound, or is it occurring from the amplifier itself? Having the JBL 530 speakers, I don't know if they would be a good match for the Jungson gear as I'm content with the mid-range with my current gear and couldn't imagine having too much more of it.

Last edited:

wje

Forum Donor

Thanks. I initially visited that site, but must have been looking at another amp and didn't realize the combo was under $1,300. There's a person selling the Jungson JA-99C anniversary edition on USaudiomart.com for $1,300 at the moment. Not sure if I'm a fan of the mirror finished face on the front of the anniversary edition. Though, it's great to see such gear as this for these prices.

bigbag34

Forum Donor
Sean at Zero Fidelity imho is the best YouTube audio reviewer. From a subjective standpoint I feel like he really conveys the attributes both positive and negative in a very articulate manner and normally free of nonsense. Pretty close to zero fidelity imho is Gene at Audioholics.

This preamp / amp combo certainly looks interesting. The looks alone are unique almost look like the Technics SU series of integrateds. China and Taiwan for being low cost places to manufacture have the ability to make great gear. I recall reading years ago one of these cheap Chi-Fi companies was owned by a serious audiophile and that they had a very sophisticated anechoic chamber in their facility to do testing.

Reactions: wje

wje

Forum Donor
Yes, they truly look unique. The Technics SU series hasn't done so well on reviews, from the reading I've done.

Chilli

I have had the ja-88d integrated for a while. Its amazing. I've also been looking for another preamp and the one used above would definitely suit. Looks like a remote controlled relay/resistor type like that used in the ja-88d. There were some review of the 88d and 99d done many years ago. Do a search and youll see they're not bad.
A well known speaker builder used a version for a while as well.
This is a good brand and much of their gear was apparently used as reference in China. Solid as a rock man. I love the 88d but my kids are too young so out comes the tiny class D modules haha.
This stack is basically a separates version of the 88D.

McTurtle

I have the Luxury version of the 88D, which I purchased from China Hi-Fi.
Their service was exceptional and the amp is amazing value. A diamond in the rough.

Have just replaced the ice inlet plug with a Furutech and Wow has it improved an already killer amp.

I couldn't recommend this amp enough.

If only I discovered it years ago I would have saved Thousands of hard earned $$$

Abe_W

Shipping costs have atleast doubled/tripled/etc since i bought stuff from Chinahifi last year (I have bought quite a few other things from Mr. Lee over the years). It has to do with all shipping cargo space filled up from Covid related priority (medical, PPE, etc) shipments. It may make sense to wait for shipping prices to get back to normal.

GStevens

For us folks in the US I always thought that 120v was our standard household wall outlet voltage. I'm correct on that, yes? And so if I wanted to order one of these, it'd be the 120v flavor. I'm sure there's a good reason for it but it just seems strange (and mildly confusing) to me that ChinaHiFi offers 110, 115, 120v versions.

GStevens

Not sure why the reviewer Zero in the video above was sent the 110v version.

Abe_W

For us folks in the US I always thought that 120v was our standard household wall outlet voltage. I'm correct on that, yes? And so if I wanted to order one of these, it'd be the 120v flavor. I'm sure there's a good reason for it but it just seems strange (and mildly confusing) to me that ChinaHiFi offers 110, 115, 120v versions.
Always specify 120 volts if you're dropping the big money. I work with very sensitive electronics all day long and all kinds of weird ass issues can pop up with stuff like this.

GStevens

Yeah, that's what I kinda thought. Thanks for the super quick reply Abe_W!

GStevens

I just heard back from ChinaHiFi. They have only the 115v version. Is that a deal-killer?

Abe_W

I just heard back from ChinaHiFi. They have only the 115v version. Is that a deal-killer?
It is not a deal killer, 5% is acceptable. I assume you're getting one of those large ass amplifiers and it should be ok. You have to be more careful with higher precision electronics out there. In the audio world, certain Chi-fi R2R Dacs come to mind. In any case, you may want to check what you typically get at the wall where your house is located. There are many urbanish areas in the US where you don't hit 120v....it is typically between 115 and 120. If you live in certain rural areas where you are consistently above 125V, you may want to look into some voltage regulation.

There are stories of guys who import those "Japan Only" amps rated for 100 Volts in Japan and plugging it straight into a US wall outlet. That should be a No...No.

Smislov

Reviews for JungSon ja88d ... I have Jungson AV899 and JungSon Magic Boat CD player ...
1629143046871.png

Attachments

• ja88d_uk_review.pdf
    669.6 KB · Views: 290
  • JA88D-09-english-manual.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 166
  • pdf_jungson_ja-88d_amplifier_review_lores.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 352

sofrep811

I owned a Jungson JA-88 Integrated Amplifier for a year and I was very happy with it. No tests done but it certainly passed the ear test for myself. Was very heavy as I recall. Looked similar in style to one linked here but all silver.

Top Bottom