• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Impossible Quest: affordable processor 5.1 or 7.1 with Dolby Atmos

Rask Atreides

Hello audio scientists,

I have read several threads on this topic on different websites, but I refuse to give up. I don't want to live in a world that thinks that shoe umbrellas are useful but a dirty cheap sound processor that does the bare minimum with good sound is not. Ok, maybe the bare minimum plus Dolby Atmos with height virtualizer.

Things like this

https://www.wish.com/product/601557...oChK4QAvD_BwE&hide_login_modal=true&share=web

exist, for instance. I wouldn't bet on the quality, but this proves that there COULD BE A MARKET for an excellent product in this category.

Have you ever owned or tried something like that? Or do you know some comparable product with good specs, good price and good reputation? And if not, do you want to embark in the impossible quest to find one?

The wise man: "Just buy the Denon 3700/4700 and use it in preamp mode".

Yes. Thanks. I probably will. But you, my friend, are missing the point.

Onward!

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello audio scientists,

I have read several threads on this topic on different websites, but I refuse to give up. I don't want to live in a world that thinks that shoe umbrellas are useful but a dirty cheap sound processor that does the bare minimum with good sound is not. Ok, maybe the bare minimum plus Dolby Atmos with height virtualizer.

Things like this

https://www.wish.com/product/6015575cceafa0a52883bb49?from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=IT&_force_currency_code=EUR&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=6015575cceafa0a52883bb49&ad_cc=IT&ad_lang=EN&ad_curr=EUR&ad_price=183.00&campaign_id=8688966404&exclude_install=true&gclid=CjwKCAjw8cCGBhB6EiwAgORey4IjIcomEJ9uJ0mi1-EgCJIxzgVsZrvqyopegeN5agZdgz6XSQnInRoChK4QAvD_BwE&hide_login_modal=true&share=web

exist, for instance. I wouldn't bet on the quality, but this proves that there COULD BE A MARKET for an excellent product in this category.

Have you ever owned or tried something like that? Or do you know some comparable product with good specs, good price and good reputation? And if not, do you want to embark in the impossible quest to find one?

Onward!

That is great idea. How much would you be willing to pay for such a no-frills processor?

chelgrian

As all the other threads will have told you the economics don't stack up. The licenses alone required to build an Atmos processor before you start on the hardware push it out of the 'budget' category.

Vict0r

I think you can come a long way with some smart second hand shopping! I've picked up a Denon x2400h, and later a x2600h, way below msrp. The x2400h is Atmos enabled and cost me €225 on the local Craigslist thingy. I think that's as budget as you can go for an Atmos enabled device in the current market. Might be worth looking in to!

I personally wouldn't take a bet on a processor like the one you linked to on Wish. Import fees, warranty issues, wonky firmwares, probably difficulties with ARC support... In the end you'll be spending more time and money than you did on a second hand Denon, I believe.

OP
R

Rask Atreides

As all the other threads will have told you the economics don't stack up. The licenses alone required to build an Atmos processor before you start on the hardware push it out of the 'budget' category.

I am willing to give up to Atmos if the specs are very good. But the search is still difficult even without Atmos!

OP
R

Rask Atreides

I think you can come a long way with some smart second hand shopping! I've picked up a Denon x2400h, and later a x2600h, way below msrp. The x2400h is Atmos enabled and cost me €225 on the local Craigslist thingy. I think that's as budget as you can go for an Atmos enabled device in the current market. Might be worth looking in to!

I personally wouldn't take a bet on a processor like the one you linked to on Wish. Import fees, warranty issues, wonky firmwares, probably difficulties with ARC support... In the end you'll be spending more time and money than you did on a second hand Denon, I believe.

Thank you, definitely to consider, but the x2400h does not have pre-outs! I believe Denon gives preouts from 3700+. I already have a Yamaha S-501, a little classD amp for the central and two active speakers for the rears/surround, so I need preouts!

Vict0r

Thank you, definitely to consider, but the x2400h does not have pre-outs! I believe Denon gives preouts from 3700+. I already have a Yamaha S-501, a little classD amp for the central and two active speakers for the rears/surround, so I need preouts!

I think you can use ZONE2 on the x2400h as a preout channel, but that'll be stereo only: https://manuals.denon.com/avrx2400h/eu/en/GFNFSYtmyicciu.php#SEHFMLlyvhfizg

No idea, I haven't ever felt the need to hook up an external amp to my Denon AV's, but there's a lot of info online from people doing it. :)

EDIT: Oh, another idea! Get a second hand Yamaha TSR-7810. Atmos and pre-out on all channels. It retailed during sales for about $450, so second hand prices are pretty low.

OP
R

Rask Atreides

I think you can use ZONE2 on the x2400h as a preout channel, but that'll be stereo only: https://manuals.denon.com/avrx2400h/eu/en/GFNFSYtmyicciu.php#SEHFMLlyvhfizg

No idea, I haven't ever felt the need to hook up an external amp to my Denon AV's, but there's a lot of info online from people doing it. :)

EDIT: Oh, another idea! Get a second hand Yamaha TSR-7810. Atmos and pre-out on all channels. It retailed during sales for about $450, so second hand prices are pretty low.

This Yamaha TSR-7810 looks promising. No rigorous measure that I know, though, and some users complain about the DACs. So this would invalidate the quest for an object with excellent specs, few complications and low price.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Hello audio scientists,

Things like this

https://www.wish.com/product/6015575cceafa0a52883bb49?from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=IT&_force_currency_code=EUR&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=6015575cceafa0a52883bb49&ad_cc=IT&ad_lang=EN&ad_curr=EUR&ad_price=183.00&campaign_id=8688966404&exclude_install=true&gclid=CjwKCAjw8cCGBhB6EiwAgORey4IjIcomEJ9uJ0mi1-EgCJIxzgVsZrvqyopegeN5agZdgz6XSQnInRoChK4QAvD_BwE&hide_login_modal=true&share=web

Onward!
Most probably very bad output quality.

Top Bottom