• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The impossible decision of buying an AVR/AVP!

Daka

Nothing wrong with personal subjective opinions as long as we know their limitations and the limited value without precise level matching/blind conditions. I have had what I thought would be obvious differences when such controls were in place. For example with comparing lossless audio to 256k AAC. Results showed I was basically guessing. When we here things like x brand blows away, is better, sounds more musical etc others have to take it with a grain of salt. In particular when using phrases like "to anyone who tried"... you have now made a claim that everyone that has compared them came to the same conclusion. It isn't possible to know that.
I didn’t want it to come across like just buy X because I said so - it’s a lot of subjectivity here and everyone should try and listen themselves. We all have different requirements and expectations.
We can’t speak obviously in general terms. What’s interesting is haven’t found anyone who would say Denon sounds better than Arcam - I think that’s interesting observation even though we can’t say it’s always the case. Anyone who returned Arcam was due to some other software issues, which it used to have plenty. One thing to know is Arcam is sort of boutique manufacturer compared to Denon so it’s never will be as firmware polished as the latter and when comparing rrp Denon will offer better value (economy of scale).

MLaranjeiras

Cables? Make sure that the positive and negative are where they should be.
To be really honest, I decided to spend some money with them. Choosed Wireworld RCAs. Bought an US$ 200.00 used Eclipse 7 (https://www.futureshop.co.uk/wireworld-eclipse-7-2-rca-to-2-rca-audio-cable), one US$ 200.00 brand new Equinox 8 (https://www.amazon.com/WIREWORLD-Equinox-Audio-Interconnect-Cable/dp/B07FF3ZMBP) and one brand new Nano-Silver Eclipse Mini Jack to 2 RCA Audio Cable - 1.0M (https://www.amazon.com/WIREWORLD-Nano-Silver-Eclipse-Audio-Cable/dp/B00YQ49U7A), that i use to connect the Hiby FC4 DAC to the amplifier (the DAC is connected to a Mac Mini with Audirvana. This DAC makes a noise like radio interference when there is no music playing, but it is stealth on the set, a plus for me). Once each item of my set costs around US$ 1,000.00, I said to mysel "ok, ok". Of course, listened several times before in search of any nuance tha justifies the investment. A friend from who I bought the excellent multifuncion Oppo BDP105 sold me for a lower price a pair of Kimber Kables 8VS speaker cables. This is it.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-06 at 15.10.54.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-06 at 15.10.54.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom