• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The IKEA Eneby 12 inch measurements

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I see this as a kitchen radio or maybe bedroom radio, which my wife would primarily use.

I have multiple "real" systems for my listening. :)

At $89 USD, it sounds good for the money and seems built well...great bang for the buck.
Agreed, it is surprisingly good. Beating most other BT loudspeakers, and many other speakers as well.

adam2434

Yeah, I kind of collect and evaluate BT speakers as an off-shoot of the larger audio/video hobby. For me, it's fun to evaluate and own BT speakers of various sizes and price points to find the gems in terms of price-performance for a specific application/use.

Some examples:
  • When you don't need the portability of a battery and don't need IPX environmental resistance:
    • The Eneby 30 (12") is a great option for the money and is an easy recommendation.
  • When you need the portability of a battery and need the speaker to be relatively small for transport.
    • The Soundcore Motion Boom is a great option. With some on-board EQ adjustment, this speaker can sound fairly balanced and can put out some impressive bass for a speaker so small and cheap (around $100 USD).
    • I've taken the Motion Boom on several air travel trips - stuffed in my backpack (personal item) on flights.
  • When you need the portability of a battery and the speaker does not need to be small:
    • The UE Hyperboom is a great speaker with pretty serious performance and output. It's not cheap at $400 USD, but I personally think its worth the money and sounds better than the JBL Boombox at $500 USD.
    • We take the UE Hyperboom on car trips, since transport space is not a factor.
    • I actually geek-out a bit with the UE Hyperboom. I don't use its BT. I use a Chromecast Audio powered by the Hyperboom's USB and connected to the Hyperboom's optical input. The Chomecast Audio is connected to my phone's hotspot wi-fi for streaming Tidal FLAC. So, the Hyperboom gets an uncompressed stream in this scenario. Yeah, I know, a bit geeky, but I like it. :)

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious about this speaker from Morel. I ordered one to check out. Form-factor is in line with the Eneby 30, although a bit deeper and heavier.

Makes me wonder if Morel had any involvement in the Eneby line.

https://www.amazon.com/Högtalare-Dynamic-Wireless-Speaker-Compatible/dp/B081S48LHL/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
It is more likely that Teenage Engineering has something to do with IKEA Eneby. And perhaps some secret "loudspeaker guru" from Sweden.

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems that IKEA is going to stop selling the Enemy 30 generation 2. I am hesitant whether they will continue with a generation 3.

So for you that want a good and cheap BT speaker in the kitchen, get this one.

dweekie

It seems that IKEA is going to stop selling the Enemy 30 generation 2. I am hesitant whether they will continue with a generation 3.

So for you that want a good and cheap BT speaker in the kitchen, get this one.
I finally found use for this, and it's sold out everywhere. I wonder if the 8 inch model is similar enough. The gen 2 only lasted a bit over a year...

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I finally found use for this, and it's sold out everywhere. I wonder if the 8 inch model is similar enough. The gen 2 only lasted a bit over a year...
The small one is ”ok” but nothing like the 12 inch in power.

dweekie

Looks like there is a Gen 3 now (only 8 inch - 20cm), with a Spotify tap feature and physical auto-sleep switch.

Top Bottom