• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what Adams would say about today's tech toys, and social media! I'd think he'd have found it impossible to keep quiet on the matter. HHGG doesn't seem so long ago until you realize that the later books mention Sony Walkman and the Apple Macintosh IIfx computer. BTW, Adams's personal IIfx wound up in the hands of a collector, and IIRC, the hard drive contained then-unpublished works.

One of my favorite Adams inventions is invisibility via being Someone Else's Problem.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
One of my favorite Adams inventions is invisibility via being Someone Else's Problem.
Totally.
:)

It takes real chutzpah to seize the day, problem-wise. ;)

1659622826353.png

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
After 35 years of living with HHGTG books and knowing the radio and TV versions, the movie made me very angry. Too many diversions from the original, too frantic and just generally meh. Best thing were Bill Bailey's whale and the narration of the guide by Fry.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Great movie and even better book. Watch us from above and laugh, Mr. Adams. Cheers
NAH - the original radio series was the best, as it left it to your imagination to fill in the visuals..

Wonderful series and Mr Adams was a client of ours until his income allowed a Krell/top Sonus Faber style of system ;)

"Life, don't talk to me about life..." - shuffles off into the distance...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had the radio programmes on my iPod and now phone for a very long time. It still makes me laugh a lot. I remember trying not to miss a single broadcast at the beginning.
Ideal in the car on long journeys IMO.

I find listening to the sort of music I like in a car impossible and gave up on it decades ago after spending a fair bit on it hoping for some sort of success.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll need to pick up the posthumously-produced "Hexagonal Phase" of the BBC Radio series in order to complete my set, might be nice not to wind up the saga on such a down note.

But I do wonder if the producers would have been better off finding new actors from Third Phase onward, because while not a lot of story time elapses between the "phases", 23 years of chronological time did pass, and the actors' voices changed quite.

Peterinvan

The BBC TV version was the best! It is British comedy after all.

My iPad Pro needs a "Don't Panic" screen saver. I even get far away galaxy news these days.

OP
yavormoskov

yavormoskov

NAH - the original radio series was the best, as it left it to your imagination to fill in the visuals..

Wonderful series and Mr Adams was a client of ours until his income allowed a Krell/top Sonus Faber style of system ;)

"Life, don't talk to me about life..." - shuffles off into the distance...
If we follow the same logic the best way is just to read the books. This way the "Imagination V8 Turbo Engine" is utilized to it's maximum potential ;)

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
HHG sure has legs. Mr. Adams should be resting easily with the joy he created.
BTI (Before the Internet) it was kind of a 'specialty' craze, esp amongst techy types, and yes, the BBC radio series is STILL the best...still hear the theme music (radiophonic workshop era?) in my head on many days.
I have all of them on cassette tape somewhere - I went to great lengths to make sure I got all of them recorded, racing home to fire up the deck and tuner at ? 8pm each Monday? here.
Now, what the 3rd or 4th generation is learning of it?
PS. Back in the 70s, when my 'group' was so addicted to the shows, one of their names was Marvin, who had serious spine/leg surgery work done, and was a bit bi-polar, but took the coincidence of so much pain 'in all the diodes down my back (?)' with great humour, even I think lightened his load a wee bit? We surely all enjoyed listening to each new episode together, for sure.
That, and, well, the Goon Show are some of the greatest of Great Britains' creations, IMO.
;)

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
HHG sure has legs. Mr. Adams should be resting easily with the joy he created.
BTI (Before the Internet) it was kind of a 'specialty' craze, esp amongst techy types, and yes, the BBC radio series is STILL the best...still hear the theme music (radiophonic workshop era?) in my head on many days.
I have all of them on cassette tape somewhere - I went to great lengths to make sure I got all of them recorded, racing home to fire up the deck and tuner at ? 8pm each Monday? here.
Now, what the 3rd or 4th generation is learning of it?
PS. Back in the 70s, when my 'group' was so addicted to the shows, one of their names was Marvin, who had serious spine/leg surgery work done, and was a bit bi-polar, but took the coincidence of so much pain 'in all the diodes down my back (?)' with great humour, even I think lightened his load a wee bit? We surely all enjoyed listening to each new episode together, for sure.
That, and, well, the Goon Show are some of the greatest of Great Britains' creations, IMO.
;)
The theme tune was by the Eagles. Journey of the Sorcerer.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Hmmm

H2G2 was my drug of choice to avoid revision for finals in 1983.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
... so much pain 'in all the diodes down my back (?)'
;)
Left hand side - rather than back if I remember correctly.

I particularly liked Zaphod B's "he's washing his head at us" line.

Top Bottom