• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The headphones demo in the store has gone weird

taisho

Forum Donor
My local hi-fi store allows testing of some popular headphones and other audio gear. Such an opportunity is a feature differentiating them from online competition. I visited the store this week. This post is focused on interactions with the employee in the store. One side of the coin is that he suggested checking HD660s that won my ears as opposed to headphones from my initial list that failed to perform. He had some valid remarks, and all recommended pieces of equipment he named, measure exceptionally well. Here is what I consider the other side of the coin:

1. My Topping D10 + JDS Labs Atom are "toys".
2. I need to be careful not to damage the expensive piece of equipment next to me (Matrix Audio Element X).
3. EQ should never be used. It destroys the sound of headphones.
4. I read too much.
5. My impression of cellos on Sundara sounding poorly comes from my stack not being able to drive it properly.
6. My impression of cellos on HD660s sounding correct comes from these cans being easier to drive than Sundara.
7. The soundstage in the old HD600 is good.
8. Never heard of bass traps (still, I appreciate honesty).
9. Trying to add subwoofers to a stereo system is a grave mistake. It's better to save for much better speakers if more bass is needed.
10. It's not worth looking for pricier headphones or speakers with my current stack, as they would be bottlenecked.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My local hi-fi store allows testing of some popular headphones and other audio gear. Such an opportunity is a feature differentiating them from online competition. I visited the store this week. This post is focused on interactions with the employee in the store. One side of the coin is that he suggested checking HD660s that won my ears as opposed to headphones from my initial list that failed to perform. He had some valid remarks, and all recommended pieces of equipment he named, measure exceptionally well. Here is what I consider the other side of the coin:

1. My Topping D10 + JDS Labs Atom are "toys".
2. I need to be careful not to damage the expensive piece of equipment next to me (Matrix Audio Element X).
3. EQ should never be used. It destroys the sound of headphones.
4. I read too much.
5. My impression of cellos on Sundara sounding poorly comes from my stack not being able to drive it properly.
6. My impression of cellos on HD660s sounding correct comes from these cans being easier to drive than Sundara.
7. The soundstage in the old HD600 is good.
8. Never heard of bass traps (still, I appreciate honesty).
9. Trying to add subwoofers to a stereo system is a grave mistake. It's better to save for much better speakers if more bass is needed.
10. It's not worth looking for pricier headphones or speakers with my current stack, as they would be bottlenecked.
I'm imagining the sequence of thoughts and events as this convO too place. The response of the salesperson in some statements was obviously overbearing, discriminating and judgmental when he/she was out of their range of expert knowledge.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why I don't bother with audio salespeople in general.
After I quit selling gear I went through a phase for years where I would not talk to sales people and I felt confronted and that the same old routine was driving me nutters. It was after 9 years of sales, 5 of straight commission and never taking a holiday other than the CES near every year. Now I'm fine with them. I usually know what I want so they are basically clerking it for me by ringing it through the point of sales terminal and answering any questions I might have.

Andretti60

Well, as sail persons go, that was not bad at all, I for example agree that with two good speakers there is no point (usually) for a sub.
My experience with the local sailperson was
“What is the difference between this and that?” (Not only for audio equipment)
(After a short pause) … “The price”.
Thank you very much pal, I can red the tag.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
with two good speakers there is no point (usually) for a sub.
I agree with a caveat and that being that requires a large driver for bass and we just are not seeing the product to fill that niche. Near everything is small boxes and small drivers.
“What is the difference between this and that?” (Not only for audio equipment)
(After a short pause) … “The price”.
Thank you very much pal, I can red the tag.
A prime opportunity for relationship building and he totally blew that one. Perhaps he could use some proper sales training that makes him respect the opportunity to converse with you and be involved in your life. That requires some effort and that might be more effort than he is accustomed to. But that's what a successful sales person is about. The long game, the high mark-up product that requires more work and trust.

Top Bottom