• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The good, the bad and the sub

Danchina

Good evening guys, I would like to apologize in advance for making a shopping help thread if inappropriate on this forum but my head is starting to go ballistic.
I already sifted through the comparisons regarding some of these subs but never found a specific discussion of a trio like this. (Feel free to suggest other subs too)
Soooo, as of now there's a lot of capitalistic discounting going on, which I unfortunately love.

I'm trying to get a sub for my setup which is located in a 4m long, 5m wide and 3m high room (so 60 m^3 or 2100 feet^3) and includes a Yamaha AS-501 and a pair of Elac DBR62.
I will be mainly listening to music.

I live in Italy so the options i found around my budget are quite restricted (obviously if you find a better deal let me know ;)).

- SVS PB1000 (non pro), 530 euros shipped.
- XTZ 10.17 EDGE, 560 euros shipped. (Is the peq enough to justify going for this?)
- Monolith 10' V2, 530 euros shipped.

I'm trying to be tight on budget for what i can and i would appreciate so much a hand from people who know more than me about this topic:
Thank you!

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest getting the SVS Pro model just because it has DSP, and you can reduce the 40Hz peak your (and mine) room has with it. If you can use EQ elsewhere like DRC or software than no need then.

Don't know about the other models so can't comment or compare.

OP
Danchina

Danchina

I suggest getting the SVS Pro model just because it has DSP, and you can reduce the 40Hz peak your (and mine) room has with it. If you can use EQ elsewhere like DRC or software than no need then.

Don't know about the other models so can't comment or compare.
The problem is that, in Italy, the SVS PB1000 Pro comes at a price of 810€ and the SB1000 Pro 700€. I already had a glance at them but i don't know if I wanna spend, right now, for a sub, more than what i paid for my amp and speakers combined.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers should come first indeed, you are right.

3125b

Major Contributor
The Monolith has the highest output and lowest group delay. FR is plenty good for all of them.
But the real issue is that you have no room correction in your setup. Adding that would be my first priority.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
- SVS PB1000 (non pro), 530 euros shipped.
- XTZ 10.17 EDGE, 560 euros shipped. (Is the peq enough to justify going for this?)
- Monolith 10' V2, 530 euros shipped.
Can't find measurements for XTZ, but SVS and Monolith measurements are both listed in the amazing subwoofer comparison sheet by @sweetchaos:

The performance difference doesn't seem that large to me, but Monolith in ported configuration gets a higher 'Bassaholic' rank :)
Note that Monolith is also significantly heavier (33kg vs 21kg for the SVS).

The one-band EQ of XTZ (with no Q-factor :() may not be enough, even if it is better than nothing. A technically better solution would be to go for one of the miniDSP boxes (or similar) so you can do proper bass EQ and crossover. However, given that you have a Yamaha integrated amp, the issue would be that with a separate external DSP you would not be able to facilitate EQ for all connected sources. :confused:

OP
Danchina

Danchina

The Monolith has the highest output and lowest group delay. FR is plenty good for all of them.
But the real issue is that you have no room correction in your setup. Adding that would be my first priority.
I'm starting to realize that by the magnitude of people telling me to think about room correction. Would you kindly suggest me some types of improvement in that regard? I've seen some solutions but i cannot decide what would be the best in the case i bought, for example, a monolith. Thanks in advance!

Erici

Forum Donor
I'm starting to realize that by the magnitude of people telling me to think about room correction. Would you kindly suggest me some types of improvement in that regard? I've seen some solutions but i cannot decide what would be the best in the case i bought, for example, a monolith. Thanks in advance!
Here is an excellent list of EQ options compiled by @Doodski for different operating systems. They range from free to expensive.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The problem is that, in Italy, the SVS PB1000 Pro comes at a price of 810€ and the SB1000 Pro 700€. I already had a glance at them but i don't know if I wanna spend, right now, for a sub, more than what i paid for my amp and speakers combined.
SVS is really missing out on the European market with those prices. It’s too bad because they really are nice subs. I have one. Maybe they’ll figure it out and find a distribution channel that doesn’t punish people across the pond with high pricing

OP
Danchina

Danchina

Can't find measurements for XTZ, but SVS and Monolith measurements are both listed in the amazing subwoofer comparison sheet by @sweetchaos:

The performance difference doesn't seem that large to me, but Monolith in ported configuration gets a higher 'Bassaholic' rank :)
Note that Monolith is also significantly heavier (33kg vs 21kg for the SVS).

The one-band EQ of XTZ (with no Q-factor :() may not be enough, even if it is better than nothing. A technically better solution would be to go for one of the miniDSP boxes (or similar) so you can do proper bass EQ and crossover. However, given that you have a Yamaha integrated amp, the issue would be that with a separate external DSP you would not be able to facilitate EQ for all connected sources. :confused:
First of all, thanks for your answer! I got a quick look at the sheet but, not finding the xtz, i opted for asking about the topic.

As weight is not a factor, i'm leaning on the monolith.

EDIT: After looking into the dsp world, the problem would be that i can only EQ one source at the time? So when i want to change from my turntable to another source i would only have to switch the input. That wouldn't be much of a problem for me. If I got this right, what would the average price of a good DSP be? Thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
Danchina

Danchina

SVS is really missing out on the European market with those prices. It’s too bad because they really are nice subs. I have one. Maybe they’ll figure it out and find a distribution channel that doesn’t punish people across the pond with high pricing
I agree. It's really a shame because many european people with strange built rooms like mine would really benefit from their EQ app, if the prices were in line.

Last edited:

Doctors11

Can you get either Paradigm or Martin Logan? Both of them offer subwoofers with built in room correction that apparently is very effective.

OP
Danchina

Danchina

Can you get either Paradigm or Martin Logan? Both of them offer subwoofers with built in room correction that apparently is very effective.
A Martin Logan 400 (that i don't think has built in or app EQ) is 540 euros, and a Martin Logan 600x goes for 800 euros here, while Pradigm subwoofer are unfortunately way out of my price range.

Last edited:

Tremolo

Hello Danchina, I'm from Italy too. Do you have a way to measure the fr of your sistem in your room? It is the only way to understand what kind of sub you need, how to integrate it with your speakers, if you need a crossover, dsp or eq

OP
Danchina

Danchina

Hello Danchina, I'm from Italy too. Do you have a way to measure the fr of your sistem in your room? It is the only way to understand what kind of sub you need, how to integrate it with your speakers, if you need a crossover, dsp or eq
Hi there fellow countryman. I will gladly look into doing that tomorrow morning when I figure out how I'm going to do that because it'll be my first time doing it. Thanks for now, will keep you updated.

3125b

Major Contributor
You could get a DSP like the MiniDSP 2x4, thats around 120€ andoffers a variety of manual controls. I'm sure there are tutorials out there. You could also use any computer running REW.
Or, if that's too involved, you could sell your amp and get an AVR. The cheapest new AVRs are Sony, but their automatic room correction system DCAC doesn't have the best reputation. A used Denon (or Marantz etc.) with MultEQ (XT) might be a better option, I'm not sure if those are affordable enough in Italy.

OP
Danchina

Danchina

You could get a DSP like the MiniDSP 2x4, thats around 120€ andoffers a variety of manual controls. I'm sure there are tutorials out there. You could also use any computer running REW.
Or, if that's too involved, you could sell your amp and get an AVR. The cheapest new AVRs are Sony, but their automatic room correction system DCAC doesn't have the best reputation. A used Denon (or Marantz etc.) with MultEQ (XT) might be a better option, I'm not sure if those are affordable enough in Italy.
To use a computer REW it would be difficult because I mainly listen to vinyl on my turntable and would prefer not to complicate my life too much. The DSP is, for now, the best solution, from what i gathered and concerning what i'm going to spend. I think the Denon would be the best absolute solution but i would have to buy a preamp too and so, for the moment being, i have to stray away from that.

P.S. I have found a used Elac S12EQ going for 530 euros, so that can be an option.

Zoomer

would prefer not to complicate my life too much
In that case you could have a look at the anti-mode for a simple Sub DSP solution.

Top Bottom